DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 08-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Default Vintage Ludwig Club date---NEED HELP!

Just last year I came to possess a beautiful 1963 Ludwig Club Date in a blue sparkle finish. It is most certainly a players kit, and not in mint condition. I fixed it up and put new heads on it and it sounded fantastic though.

I know very little about any history behind the ludwig clubdate. My drum Dimensions are as follows:

14 by 22 bass drum
10 by 13 rack tom
14 by 14 floor tom

I know that most club dates came with 20 inch bass drums, so mine is a bit of an anomaly. The tom sizes seem to be normal sizes but I am not a vintage drum expert.

I am interested in any information on ludwig club dates that any one could provide me. I need to replace one of the 22 inch bass drum's rims, which are wood, and I am preparing to possibly buy a 20 inch club date bass drum.

I would like to know if there any 18 inch club date bass drums, and if there are any other smaller tom sizes that were ever made.

Thanks for your Help!!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vintage Ludwig Club date---NEED HELP!

Club Dates were typically 12/14/20 configurations. There are some 22s and 13s out there that I have heard about (and now I've heard of more), but I'm pretty sure you'll never see a 16". I don't know of any 18" Club Date bass drums. Jazzettes (Ludwig's 18/12/14 configuration) typically had the classic lugs.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 08-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vintage Ludwig Club date---NEED HELP!

What made the Club Date a "Club Date" was the center lug, designed to lower cost. The longest tension rods Ludwig had for the center lug "fit" the 14" floor (14x14) and 14" deep kicks (20x14, and 22x14). You could certainly "make" a 16x14 or 18x14 Club Date kick, but I've never seen one "factory". 16x16 and 18x16 floor toms had split lugs, because of the tension rod length restriction. Being these drums were supposed to be "more affordable", Ludwig wasn't gonna go too far out on a limb, with size choices. If you wanted to play that game, you moved up to the Classic.