DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 AM

Default Eliminators, Chain or Belt?

I tried a strap-driven Yamaha at a jamming studio recently, and I think it's really great. It's silent, light and smooth. I sold my IC Rolling Glides recently, and I'm thinking about getting the Elims next. My school has a Eliminator single pedal, the single chain one, and I love it too. So now I think I'll be getting the P2002s.

Question is, should I go for the chain or the strap ones? I have to wait about 2-3months for the stock of strap driven Elims though, but the shop has a chain-drive double elims. Do I wait to try out the strap, or go for the chain straight away?

I heard many people from forums saying that strap drives in general are great, but the Pearl strap sucks and it worries me. Jaska from Children of Bodom uses the strap, and he has no problems playing really fast.

Input would be very appreciated.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Eliminators, Chain or Belt?

I've had the Eliminator for close to 7 years now (although I'm now on the demon drives! :) ). I had chains at first, and then bought just the belt pieces about 2-3 years ago (they switch out easily with just a drum key). The belt is slightly quicker to respond than the chains, which I prefer. Not too huge of a difference--the chains still feel good. You can't go wrong with the chains if the store has them in stock now. You can always buy the extra belts for $12 a piece or whatever it is, and switch them up later if you want.

Never had any problems with the belts 'sucking'. I did hear that Virgil Donati & Mike Mangini actually melted through a few early prototype belts before the Eliminators came out, though! Not the case with the current belts though, luckily. You'd never break these straps.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Eliminators, Chain or Belt?

I would love to buy the chain drive first and then switch to the belt when I wanted to, but the shop said that they only sell the pedals with the chain drive or belt drive. They don't sell the strap by itself, as the Pearl magazine (?) didn't list it in it's pedal section.

I live in Singapore btw, and the shop's SweeLee. Just fyi.