DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-26-2009, 12:54 PM

Default resonant heads with pinstripes???

i just recently got a pearl vision vbx, and i put remo pinstripes on the toms.
ididnt like the single ply heads it came with, so i put the double ply ones it came with as resonant, there pretty goodd! but im going to replace them anyways.

i like a muffled sound, not too open.
should i go with ambassador or emperor for resonant with a pinstripe??
i dont want a long annoying ringy sound.

i play mostly metal, so i want my toms to sound like, august burns red, slipknot, as i lay dying, bring me the horizon.
and stuff like that.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: resonant heads with pinstripes???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrokemydrums View Post
i just recently got a pearl vision vbx, and i put remo pinstripes on the toms.
ididnt like the single ply heads it came with, so i put the double ply ones it came with as resonant, there pretty goodd! but im going to replace them anyways.

i like a muffled sound, not too open.
should i go with ambassador or emperor for resonant with a pinstripe??
i dont want a long annoying ringy sound.

i play mostly metal, so i want my toms to sound like, august burns red, slipknot, as i lay dying, bring me the horizon.
and stuff like that.
95% of drummers use 10mil single-ply clear resonant heads such as Remo Ambassador or Evans G1. Since you like the sound with 2-ply resonant heads, the obvious choice for you would be Remo Emperors or Evans G2s.

It's worth noting, however, that the single-ply resos that come with Visions aren't very good. That may be the source of your "annoying" ring.

I would caution you against getting this dead a sound if you play out unmiked--it's dead but also very soft and with almost no projection. If you play out miked then go for it.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:35 PM

I used to have pinstriped on both batter and reso sides of my kit back in the 80's. But these were 1970's 9-ply shells that were/are rather loud to begin with. This probably made up for the tendency of having pinstripes on both sides tends to dampen the sound. I never had to add any additional damping on it (tape, o-rings) because these would have really made the heads sound dead. Your VBX's might be OK with this setup since birch is supposed to have a bright sound. But I agree with drumtechdad, just make sure you don't go too soft or lose projection.

As for me, well lets just say I survived the 80's. I've moved back to an all coated ambassador setup (batter and reso), which was how I had it in the 70's. It SCREAMS, miked or unmiked. Overtones are my best friend. And its easier to tame a screaming drum set than it is to liven up a dead-sounding one.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
95% of drummers use 10mil single-ply clear resonant heads such as Remo Ambassador or Evans G1. Since you like the sound with 2-ply resonant heads, the obvious choice for you would be Remo Emperors or Evans G2s.

It's worth noting, however, that the single-ply resos that come with Visions aren't very good. That may be the source of your "annoying" ring.

I would caution you against getting this dead a sound if you play out unmiked--it's dead but also very soft and with almost no projection. If you play out miked then go for it.
what would give a better sound emperors or g2?
and ill probably play unmiked, so what single ply head would be good for a sound i want?
a thicker or thinner single ply? what kind? etc.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrokemydrums View Post
what would give a better sound emperors or g2?
and ill probably play unmiked, so what single ply head would be good for a sound i want?
a thicker or thinner single ply? what kind? etc.
The Emperor and G2 are basically equivalent to each other (Remo makes the Emperor; Evans makes the G2). Both heads are made of 2 free-floating plies of 7mil Mylar. Neither one is really "better" than the other - it's a matter of personal preference...or more likely, brand preference. Remo's tend to be a little less-expensive than their Evans counterparts.

As drumtechdad mentioned, Remo Ambassadors are the industry standard for reso heads (or G1 if you want the Evans equivalent) and will likely suit you just fine. If you go this route and find it isn't muffled enough, you can use gaffers tape or moongels to muffle it to your liking.

You could also try the Remo Powerstroke 3 which is basically an Ambassador (10mil, single-ply) but has a 3mil underlay around the outer edge of the head - basically a built-in dampening ring. Evans makes an equivalent to this head as well but I'm not 100% sure what they call it... although I believe it's the EC1.

I also suggest checking both company's respective websites for more info and to compare.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 07-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Bad idea to get pinstripe resos it will just kill the whole sound. Thing is if you're playing metal then it's more important than ever to give your drums an open sound otherwise if you're playing on stage unmiked then you just won't hear them. Get some single ply resos like G1s and 2 ply undamped top heads and then the way to get rid of the "ring" is not to muffle everything up but to tune it down LOW.

EHs Music Facebook Page