DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 AM

Default OH NOOOOO! Warped drum skins--HELP!

Hey Crew,

Man, this a major bummer.
I drove about 25 miles yesterday to a gig with my drums in the back of my pick-up truck, as my Jeep Cherokee (SUV) is in the shop. Bad part was that it was 112 degrees out, and when I got to the gig site, I noticed that the skins, wraps, (what ever the proper term is) were WARPED on my bass, floor tom, and one rack tom.......Grrrr!
It looks like a bunch of distorted waves in a kind of honeycomb pattern. I'm assuming that's the "glue lines" under the skins.

I'm not expecting any miracles, but does anyone have any advice for a easy fix, or am I going to have to strip all the hardware, remove the skins, and repair or replace them? I have a huge-paying gig on the 1st of next month, and do NOT wanna show up with a crappy looking set.

I'm MAYBE thinking about stripping the skins entirely off and sanding, staining, and doing a 3-4 coat clear varathane or polyurethane over it, but that sounds like WORK, and the plastic skins offer a lot better protection, I'm sure. Of course, the wood under the skins might look like crap after the skins are removed, who knows?

All replies VERY welcome.

Thanks crew!

Cheers,
C. P.

Last edited by Concrete Pete; 07-20-2009 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: OH NOOOOO! Warped drum skins--HELP!

You are talking about the wrap? Correct? If you are I'd say that you're pretty much screwed and have no other option except to refinish the kit or trash the kit and purchase a new one. What kind of kit are you playing? BTW skins are also known as drum heads.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Screwed. Dark color, direct Summer sun, heat, plastic... well, you know the rest. Lesson learned. Call it an opportunity to do a custom re-wrap, end up with something nicer than you started with.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Pete View Post
Hey Crew,

Man, this a major bummer.
I drove about 25 miles yesterday to a gig with my drums in the back of my pick-up truck, as my Jeep Cherokee (SUV) is in the shop. Bad part was that it was 112 degrees out, and when I got to the gig site, I noticed that the skins, wraps, (what ever the proper term is) were WARPED on my bass, floor tom, and one rack tom.......Grrrr!

It looks like a bunch of distorted waves in a kind of honeycomb pattern. I'm assuming that's the "glue lines" under the skins.

d repair or replace them? I have a huge-paying gig on the 1st of next month, and do NOT wanna show up with a crappy looking set.

I'm MAYBE thinking about stripping the skins entirely off and sanding, staining, and doing a 3-4 coat clear varathane or polyurethane over it, but that sounds like WORK, and the plastic skins offer a lot better protection, I'm sure. Of course, the wood under the e or polyht look like crap after the skins are removed, who knows?

All replies VERY welcome.

Thanks crew!

Cheers,
C. P.
Hey Pete,
I've seen that happen, lots of times from a wrap that was doublestick tape applied. The wraps that are glued aren't as susceptible to that, though it does happen.

SOMETIMES (but not always) just cooling them will put the wrap back to where it needs to be. (air conditioned room, etc.).

MAYBE you can peel them and re-glue with some better grade glue, a glue that's NOT effected by extreme temperatures.

Good luck.

PS
Covering them in your truck with something WHITE might help. The cases usually supplied for drums are BLACK and will absorb the heat from the sun. Maybe a sheet or some other white tarp.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Hey Crew,

Hey Viper,

I tried cooling with bags of ice, no luck. I think the main reason the warpage is so bad is because they're glued--the warps follow the glue lines exactly.

I've come to form somewhat of a plan-
1st, peel back the wraps (skins) past the worst damaged part, see if that can be re-heated and smoothed somehow. I'm guessing heat gun, hot water, maybe even a clothes iron- worked on those cheap heads I used to have!

2nd, if that works, re-glue with contact cement, like when I do Formica countertops. Maybe NO glue would be better- some aftermarket wraps are held on with 2X tape at the seams, and the hardware holds down the rest.

3rd, (if #2 isn't applicable) see if the maple shells are a nice enough grain to sand, stain, and Varathane.

4th, if all else fails maybe just strip, sand, and shoot the shells with black epoxy paint, or just break down and order new wraps.

Man, this sounds like WORK!

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
C. P.

(PS) In the meantime, I put my lumber rack back on the truck, and will be stretching a light-colored tarp over it, covered wagon style. My Jeep is supposed to be in the shop for another 6 days, so no go on that vehicle.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:45 AM

Hey Crew,

HALLELUJIA!

My engineer buddy that I spar with 3-4 times a month came over tonight, and part of his background is in plastics/resins/polymers/fiberglass and composite materials for the aerospace (and other) industries.
After a couple hours of (kinda weak on my part) sparring, he asked me what was bothering me, and .... long story short, I told him about the drums. He asked to see the damage, then whipped out a Bic lighter, held it to the warped parts of my drum shells, and applied hand pressure on the heated parts. (I was ready to panic, but didn't) VOILA- they sunk back to pretty much normal.

He came back with an industrial heat gun, and did more of the same, all waves/protrusions flattening out really nicely. We aren't done yet, but I'm extremely impressed with the results thus far. Les (my engineer bud) said that all the warping was caused by the heat glue that the wraps are attached by, and NOT the wraps themselves.

I'll post the results of our endeavors tomorrow, and see if it all works. I think it will.

Wish me luck,
C. P.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey Crew,

HALLELUJIA!

My engineer buddy that I spar with 3-4 times a month came over tonight, and part of his background is in plastics/resins/polymers/fiberglass and composite materials for the aerospace (and other) industries.
After a couple hours of (kinda weak on my part) sparring, he asked me what was bothering me, and .... long story short, I told him about the drums. He asked to see the damage, then whipped out a Bic lighter, held it to the warped parts of my drum shells, and applied hand pressure on the heated parts. (I was ready to panic, but didn't) VOILA- they sunk back to pretty much normal.

He came back with an industrial heat gun, and did more of the same, all waves/protrusions flattening out really nicely. We aren't done yet, but I'm extremely impressed with the results thus far. Les (my engineer bud) said that all the warping was caused by the heat glue that the wraps are attached by, and NOT the wraps themselves.

I'll post the results of our endeavors tomorrow, and see if it all works. I think it will.

Wish me luck,
C. P.
Your method seems to soften the glue so you can re-stick the wrap to the shell. I suggest it's only a temporary fix as the next time you're in a warm environment it'll happen again.

You might want to go through the bigger job of using the heat gun to completely remove the wrap and re-glue it with a better quality glue so it'll never happen again. That will keep the kit looking good and be LESS worry and maintenance for the future.

Sure it's a big job, but done ONCE correctly and you'll never have a problem again.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 AM

I would suggest a re-wrap. You could try stripping and sanding it but you stand a good chance of messing the shell up completely by doing this!

So yes a re-wrap and if you have the tools and patience to do it yourself, vids like this may help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgxYu...rom=PL&index=1
Old 07-23-2009, 08:01 AM

Hey Stoney,

Cool vid, but I hopefully will not need to re-wrap, and the process I'm using seems to (miraculously) be working! Cool, though.
Hey, how did you know I speak German? Ya psychic or something?

Wie kannten Sie mich sprechen Deutsches? Ich nahm 4 Jahre von ihm in der Schule und haven' t hatte viel Gelegenheit, sie in vielen Jahren zu sprechen. Dank für das Video und i' ll sehen, wenn ich dieses tecnique benutzen muss, wenn ich Re-einwickele die Trommeloberteile muss. Dank, bro.

Du bist eine ser shoen freuind!

Cheers,
C. P.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Hey Stoney,
Hey, how did you know I speak German? Ya psychic or something? C. P.
hehe cool that you speak German. But obviously I knew that anyway because yes I'm psychic ;)
But seriously, since there seems to be video's of absolutely everything on youtube, was interested to see if there are video's of drum re-wrapping on there.... Of course there is and the one at the top of the list happened to be in German...
Good luck with it
Stoney
Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Platinum Member

hey mate if you're stuck for ideas on how to re-wrap then this is what i did:

literally just some camo fabric from the local craft store then sewn together so it was slightly smaller than the diamiter of the drum, to tension it a bit. No glue just used the hardware to tension it vertically but i suppose if you wanted to avoid creases above the lugs maybe just use some double sided tape or whatever?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 AM

Hey Eddie,

WOW-- Very original, and looks pretty damn cool--just don't play any gigs in the woods, or you might not be able to find your drums!

I'm VERY happy to report that my wraps came out OK after quite a bit of work. What I had to do was remove all the heads and hardware, use a heat gun set on ''low" to sloooowwwly heat the glue and peel back the wraps, then carefully use a stainless steel 4" broadknife (like you use for drywall mud) and spread the glue flat where the "wrinkles" were. Then I re-heated the glue, used a metal roller to smooth the wraps back down on the shells (holding it in place until the glue cooled) and applied contact cement on the seams where the wraps overlapped by 1-1/2".

Very very tedious work, but now you can't tell there was ever any damage, and all in all cost me about $17.00 dollars-- $6.00 for the glue, and $11.00 for beer for my friend Les loaning me his heat gun.

One thing I did notice was that the shell wraps seemed extremely tough, handled all of the processes well, and were a lot more flexible and thicker than I had thought before removing them.

I hope this never happens to anyone else, but if it does, at least you know now that it's repairable, and won't cost an arm and a leg to fix.

Rock forever,
C. P.