DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Overg Overg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 194
Default Pearl Traveler kit, need help on drum head for Toms ?

I bought the pearl traveler kit, and I was thinking to upgrade my tom s sound, because I thought that the drum heads that come with the kit just don't sound right.

I bought the Evans g2 clear heads, which was recommended by many, and they actually sound worse (!), I tried to tune it in many ways, and every time they either sound dead, or simply not good, I can't get the classic tom sound.

Is there any other recommended heads ?

maybe since the toms of the Traveler doesn't have lower head, it cause the Evans to sound bad?

thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:18 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,262
Default Re: Pearl Traveler kit, need help on drum head for Toms ?

I have a Traveler kit, I bought it a few weeks ago. I'm still using the stock heads except for the Super Kick I that I put on the bass drum. (That worked well) I've been told that Hydraulic heads will make the toms sound a bit better.
I find that the sound of the toms with the stock heads is pretty much what I expected from shallow drums without resonate heads. I think that even with Hydraulic heads the sound will never be the same as standard drums with resos. I'm liking the kit as it is!
You mat want to give the Hydros a try. I have used them in the past on standard size drums that had no resos. They sounded good but still they didn't sing like drums with reso heads.
I use my Traveler primarily for low volume practice in small rooms. I have also gigged with it outdoors with mics. It did well with the mics!
The Traveler is a great little kit, But it will never sound like a standard kit . I knew that when I bought it. You kind of have to accept it for what it is.
Here is a link to my thread about the Traveler. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51321
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-17-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-17-2009, 02:10 AM
Pollyanna's Avatar
Pollyanna Pollyanna is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberspace, Sydney connection
Posts: 10,000
Default Re: Pearl Traveler kit, need help on drum head for Toms ?

I'm interested in this because I have one of these on order. From what I can gather I can't expect a "normal" tom sound, which is cool since our music doesn't need boom and mostly basic time-keeping. Bob, you described the sound as being "sort of like wooden timbales with a pretty good tone" and I've read other comments that they have a bongo-ish quality.

From what I've heard their (unmic'd) their sound is better suited to lighter and quirky styles than conventional rock. You wouldn't want to be playing Tool or or Rush covers with them although I can imagine the toms working well with the fills in Burning Down the House.

Earlier someone had provided this link of Dayne Lawless playing the RT with a different snare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHc727lEA6U) and you can see how he works around the toms' limitations by either using them in a passing fashion or in fast fills.

Bob, have you been using the kit for gigs or only for practice? If so, how did they go?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Overg Overg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 194
Default Re: Pearl Traveler kit, need help on drum head for Toms ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I have a Traveler kit, I bought it a few weeks ago. I'm still using the stock heads except for the Super Kick I that I put on the bass drum. (That worked well) I've been told that Hydraulic heads will make the toms sound a bit better.
I find that the sound of the toms with the stock heads is pretty much what I expected from shallow drums without resonate heads. I think that even with Hydraulic heads the sound will never be the same as standard drums with resos. I'm liking the kit as it is!
You mat want to give the Hydros a try. I have used them in the past on standard size drums that had no resos. They sounded good but still they didn't sing like drums with reso heads.
I use my Traveler primarily for low volume practice in small rooms. I have also gigged with it outdoors with mics. It did well with the mics!
The Traveler is a great little kit, But it will never sound like a standard kit . I knew that when I bought it. You kind of have to accept it for what it is.
Here is a link to my thread about the Traveler. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=51321
Well read the other thread you wrote on that kit :)
first I want to say as well, that I am totally impressed by this kit, and it solve me so many problems.... (space,sound in small room ),,,

I have few remarks and questions on what you wrote in the other thread:
1) first the toms do nest (actually this is how they come...)
2) How can you put a reso head ? there is no screws there at all..
3) I put on the bass drum the Remo Power stroke 3 , and it change the sound of the bass drum completely, and it sound even better,
4) also changed the snare head to Remo Ambassador, and it sound amazing.

the only thing that sound not so good is the tom head after the repolacment to Evans, what is the equivalent of the pearl heads in Remo and Evans?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-17-2009, 03:51 AM
Fiery's Avatar
Fiery Fiery is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Serbia
Posts: 705
Default Re: Pearl Traveler kit, need help on drum head for Toms ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I have a Traveler kit, I bought it a few weeks ago. I'm still using the stock heads except for the Super Kick I that I put on the bass drum. (That worked well) I've been told that Hydraulic heads will make the toms sound a bit better.
I find that the sound of the toms with the stock heads is pretty much what I expected from shallow drums without resonate heads. I think that even with Hydraulic heads the sound will never be the same as standard drums with resos. I'm liking the kit as it is!
You mat want to give the Hydros a try. I have used them in the past on standard size drums that had no resos. They sounded good but still they didn't sing like drums with reso heads.
Hydraulics are the last heads you would want to put on such a kit. Aren't the toms dead enough already?

If you want a more open sound, try using single ply heads, such as Evans G1 or Remo Ambassador.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 AM
denisri denisri is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 533
Default Re: Pearl Traveler kit, need help on drum head for Toms ?

Hi
I have been using this kit for small gigs for a bout 4 years...using Evans Hydraulic heads for the toms with 1 overhead mic fro toms and cymbals(one mic for kick and one on snare). Sounds fine...I use one of my high end snares.
Bottom line is this kit will my not match my DW's or Grescth Broadkaster's but the Pearl Traveler Kit is easy to move.setup and takes very little room.
Depending on the pay,space and gig I take the appropriate kit.
Denis
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,262
Default Re: Pearl Traveler kit, need help on drum head for Toms ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I'm interested in this because I have one of these on order. From what I can gather I can't expect a "normal" tom sound, which is cool since our music doesn't need boom and mostly basic time-keeping. Bob, you described the sound as being "sort of like wooden timbales with a pretty good tone" and I've read other comments that they have a bongo-ish quality.

From what I've heard their (unmic'd) their sound is better suited to lighter and quirky styles than conventional rock. You wouldn't want to be playing Tool or or Rush covers with them although I can imagine the toms working well with the fills in Burning Down the House.

Earlier someone had provided this link of Dayne Lawless playing the RT with a different snare (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHc727lEA6U) and you can see how he works around the toms' limitations by either using them in a passing fashion or in fast fills.

Bob, have you been using the kit for gigs or only for practice? If so, how did they go?
Yes, I use them for light styles of music. I also have a conga player that plays with me. The toms blend well with the congas.I have also played a lot of open thump like fills and they worked well. Jazzy fills also work.I have gigged with the kit twice. An outdoor house party and a festival before 300 people with full mics. I loved it! It also has been great for low volume practice with my band in a small 12 x 12 room. Here is a good sounding vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvmke3vU3o&feature=fvw
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-17-2009 at 05:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Overg Overg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 194
Default Re: Pearl Traveler kit, need help on drum head for Toms ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Yes, I use them for light styles of music. I also have a conga player that plays with me. The toms blend well with the congas.I have also played a lot of open thump like fills and they worked well. Jazzy fills also work.I have gigged with the kit twice. An outdoor house party and a festival before 300 people with full mics. I loved it! It also has been great for low volume practice with my band in a small 12 x 12 room. Here is a good sounding vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gvmke3vU3o&feature=fvw
I don't know about the kit, but man you know drumming!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-17-2009, 11:28 PM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,262
Default Re: Pearl Traveler kit, need help on drum head for Toms ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overg View Post
Well read the other thread you wrote on that kit :)
first I want to say as well, that I am totally impressed by this kit, and it solve me so many problems.... (space,sound in small room ),,,

I have few remarks and questions on what you wrote in the other thread:
1) first the toms do nest (actually this is how they come...)
2) How can you put a reso head ? there is no screws there at all..
3) I put on the bass drum the Remo Power stroke 3 , and it change the sound of the bass drum completely, and it sound even better,
4) also changed the snare head to Remo Ambassador, and it sound amazing.

the only thing that sound not so good is the tom head after the repolacment to Evans, what is the equivalent of the pearl heads in Remo and Evans?
Re; Nesting, On nesting kits the bass drum splits in half and the other drums fit inside. The Traveler is not a "Nesting Kit". If you wanted to put bottom heads on the kit you would have to drill and fit hardware. I have done this before on standard size drums. (I am an Automotive Technician and I am good with tools) I decided against putting resos on the Traveler because it would make the toms sound like a snare with the throw set to off.
You will never be able to make the toms sound like a conventional kit! The traveler is what it is!
I recommend that you experiment with different heads until you find a sound that you can live with. It will always be a compromise! There have been several head type suggestions made in this thread.
Thank you for the compliment on my playing! Compliments are always welcome!
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com