DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 07-15-2009, 11:50 AM

Default Headphones

I've just started out with playing over samples with my band. I need a pair of headphones where i will be able to hear the sample along with the band in a live situation, and really clear at that. What do you guys suggest?
Old 07-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Headphones

SKULCANDY!

Icon i think there called

Tama Superstar Hyperdrive
Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calummordue View Post
SKULCANDY!

I would agree, if the TS wants to have his hearing blown out.

Probably a good idea to look at some sort of headphones that allow for isolation too. This way you don't have to turn it up waay loud to hear it over the band playing and the drumming and that. You can get ones which aren't big and bulky like the vic firths and go in your ears but they can be expensive. But what price can u put on hearing?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 07-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calummordue View Post
SKULCANDY!

Got a pair in 'urban camo' look cool but crap fro drumming with. No isolation really, cant be worn for a long time because theyre quite tight and theyre not that loud. My JVC HA-RX300 do the job well.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:15 AM
Silver Member

I'd suggest checking out some in ear monitors instead of headphones. They're much more compact and have total isolation. My band is about to invest in some as we're playing samples live as well. From what I've heard the Shure systems are great, but pricey.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 AM

I think you need to be careful using consumer-grade headphones for a pro-audio application. make sure your headphones can handle the input power. Pro-audio headphones don't cost as much as one might think. You can get the Shure SCL2 ear-phones for about $100.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
I'd suggest checking out some in ear monitors instead of headphones. They're much more compact and have total isolation.
seconded. thats what you need, there expensive as hell tho, an ex singer of mine spent $700 on his
Old 07-16-2009, 10:38 AM

Vic Firth Isolation Stereo Headphones - can't go wrong.

Last edited by NIMBY; 07-17-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Beyerdynamic dt-770 pro. Best headphones out there within that price range. I use them when I am in the studio and when I practice. In live situations I use the shure se530:)
Old 07-17-2009, 06:01 AM

The ear monitors are where it is at. there's lots of names out there that I would suggest so here's my list.

Ultimate Ears
Shure
Etymotic
Sennheiser
Denon
iHarmonix
V-moda
and dj something.. I forgot..

I'm kind of a headphone audiophile... Haha.. I'll stick with my ultimate ear triplefi 10pros. They got a more rounder sound than the shure se530's.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

If you're on a budget, I managed for years with a pair of Sennheiser HD 205's whilst wearing foam earplugs. Did me very well. I'd use the same set now as well - although I've just bought a pair of AKG K701's for reference work. You want something close-backed for what you're doing. My solution is the cheaper one, but it does give you a decent sound quality to work with - although it's not as good a solution as in-ear monitors, which are the best way to go if you have the money.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
If you're on a budget, I managed for years with a pair of Sennheiser HD 205's whilst wearing foam earplugs. Did me very well. I'd use the same set now as well - although I've just bought a pair of AKG K701's for reference work. You want something close-backed for what you're doing. My solution is the cheaper one, but it does give you a decent sound quality to work with - although it's not as good a solution as in-ear monitors, which are the best way to go if you have the money.
A friend of mine has the 205's and they are great headphones.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:54 PM

If you have no budget limitations the on ear bose noise cancelling headphones are great. I use my dads and they allow you to listen to other things and a normal volume, with hearing your drums as well. They are pretty expensive though
Old 07-20-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
I would like to 2nd that
Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Yeah I have those. Great stuff.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephead19 View Post
If you have no budget limitations the on ear bose noise cancelling headphones are great. I use my dads and they allow you to listen to other things and a normal volume, with hearing your drums as well. They are pretty expensive though
or you could spend 3x less on a pair of vic firth isolation headphones?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 07-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
A friend of mine has the 205's and they are great headphones.
For the 30 or thereabouts I paid for them, they were great. I had to re-solder them when the connections started to go, but they're pretty handy. When I went over to my K701s I realised just how bass-heavy most consumer-level headphones are - especially closed-backed designs. Using open-back headphones has changed a lot with my mixing, and having a quality pair is pretty essential for me at University. The 701s have a very smooth sound and are very clear, without being overly analytical. I did pay around 200 for them and so far have definitely been worth the money.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:05 PM

Bandwagon jump=Vic Firths

For $50 the single longest-lasting best sounding and best isolating headphones I've personally ever used for practicing and playing drums. They aren't going to satisfy an audiphile looking to check out the triangle section on a classical vinyl LP but for jumping on the kit they're fine.

I've dropped 'em, pulled 'em off in anger, cranked 'em up, and bent 'em up and they just keep on ticking. In the five years I've owned them (yep-5 yrs with the same pair) not one aspect of them has failed-not the cord, connector, earcups, or any other part or piece. I am sincerely impressed with their performance and quality.

Just remember, they are *isolation* headphones and good ones at that. They are rated at around 29dB I think (maybe 23dB?) so you aren't going to hear much of what is going on around you besides your kit and amplified instruments. (Can you get your monitor mix from the board run through them?) Also-they are bulky and have some weight to them but not enough in my opinion to outweigh the benefits.

Like I said at the beginning, we're talking $50 here not $700 not even $100; and at that price they're a steal.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 AM

Hey Guys,

I certainly agree that IEM are the way to go but as everyone has said they are quite expensive.

I use the Extreme Isolation Headphone, very similar to the Vic Firths but a little bit cheaper.

Check em out:

http://www.extremeheadphones.com/ex-29.html

Rock ON
Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 PM

the HD-250s seem to be the earphones of choice for most guitarists I know: and some drumemrs too. Any dope on that?
Cheers!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstandyourfunk View Post
the HD-250s seem to be the earphones of choice for most guitarists I know: and some drumemrs too. Any dope on that?
Cheers!
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Apr0...eiserhd250.asp
Old 09-18-2009, 12:49 PM

I'm jumping on the bandwagon too and would also highly recommend the Vic Firth stereo isolation headphones. I have a pair used for recording/practicing alone and also with my band and they work brilliantly. Plus as far as money goes they aren't all that expensive.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:51 PM

I use these http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...025&lpage=none

all i have to do is put my ear phones on, and then put these over it. about 35 bucks cheaper than the vic firth's, and if u really want the extra db protection, put some ear plugs in then slip these over.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 PM

I just got a pair of Philips noise reduction headphones. They cost about $40 from a CD shop and theyre not specifically designed for drumming but after trying them whilst playing they work really well, you can hear just the right amount of kit and everything inside the headphones too.

A lot of the active noise reduction headphones designed for listening to a cd or mp3 player are just as good as ones designed specifically for drummers. -and a fair bit cheaper too. But I wouldn't suggest going for something that doesn't have noise reduction, especially if youre a loud player because you'll just want to turn everything up to full volume.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:47 PM

For headphones: Sennheiser HD-280 Pro (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-.../dp/B000065BPB)

If you wanna spend more money and looks are really important, then check out these custom mold IEM:

Fidelity Custom Earphones (http://www.fidelitycustomearphones.com/) - formeverly LiveWires. lots and lots of good things said about their product and customer service on headphone forums and reviews. Don't confuse them with their old company, LiveWires (now based out of California) which has gotten not-so-good reviews; especially customer service.

I own the HD-280 Pro headphones and they're amazing. They're just about audiophile quality and they isolate REALLY, really well. Just as good as the Vic Firths, except they don't sound like garbage. Highly recommend them.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:04 PM

I use Audio-Technica ATHANC7. I love them. The best sound-isolating headphones I've ever used.

I'm no expert and I haven't used that many, but I used to own the Vic Virth headphones and the Audio-Technicas are far superior. Mostly in terms of ruggedness and comfort. I don't recall ever having problems with the sound quality of the Vic Virth headphones. Unfortunately, the cheap wire headband broke on me after using it for about 6 months.

Picked up these Audio-Technicas and I've been a happy camper ever since.

drummer for Within a Reverie, an experiment in prog rock/metal/???
withinareverie.com
Old 09-23-2009, 09:29 PM

You can also get the Vic's without the jack and use earbuds as has already been mentioned. The non-jack version of the Vics is even cheaper but the noise reduction is there. I've tried two different noise cancelling units and they are ok but not as durable as the Vics.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Agreed. I have the same; they're great and affordable.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:31 PM

Uber cheap option and I've used this myself on a couple of occasions,

1.50 ear defenders off ebay,
regular in ear headphones,

Surprisingly it works and is quite comfy, doesn't kill the ears either.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:30 PM

+1 for the Vic Firth's
Although the ear defenders over earphones works just as well if you're on a budget
Old 10-07-2009, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
or you could spend 3x less on a pair of vic firth isolation headphones?
Yeah they might be just as good i was just recommending what i have experience with
Old 10-07-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstandyourfunk View Post
I've just started out with playing over samples with my band. I need a pair of headphones where i will be able to hear the sample along with the band in a live situation, and really clear at that. What do you guys suggest?
Hmm... old thread and you probably already purchased something. i decided to change to Custom fitted JH Audio model 13PRO. You can get them with 'port' for hearing outside sounds too. Warning, they are not cheap tho :(

Steven
www.THTST.com
Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerboy View Post
For headphones: Sennheiser HD-280 Pro (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-.../dp/B000065BPB)

If you wanna spend more money and looks are really important, then check out these custom mold IEM:

Fidelity Custom Earphones (http://www.fidelitycustomearphones.com/) - formeverly LiveWires. lots and lots of good things said about their product and customer service on headphone forums and reviews. Don't confuse them with their old company, LiveWires (now based out of California) which has gotten not-so-good reviews; especially customer service.

I own the HD-280 Pro headphones and they're amazing. They're just about audiophile quality and they isolate REALLY, really well. Just as good as the Vic Firths, except they don't sound like garbage. Highly recommend them.
The HD-280 Pro is what i scored. Thanks for all the reccos.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:19 PM

If you don't mind spending 280 (~$400?) [yeah right] then Dr Dre Monster Beats are pretty awesome. They're not really designed for rock or jazz, which I assume is what your playing, however they sound great playing anything. If you happen to like a wider range of music such as dubstep, or drum and bass, then the Beats are unbeatable (if you'll pardon the pun). The comfiest headphones you'll ever wear too, I have never ever ever taken them off because they felt uncomfortable.

*1 e-cookie for whoever knows where 'if you'll pardon the pun' is a quote from.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicFlapjack View Post
If you don't mind spending 280 (~$400?) [yeah right] then Dr Dre Monster Beats are pretty awesome. They're not really designed for rock or jazz, which I assume is what your playing, however they sound great playing anything. If you happen to like a wider range of music such as dubstep, or drum and bass, then the Beats are unbeatable (if you'll pardon the pun). The comfiest headphones you'll ever wear too, I have never ever ever taken them off because they felt uncomfortable.

*1 e-cookie for whoever knows where 'if you'll pardon the pun' is a quote from.
Right around $300 everywhere I've seen them, and yes, they do sound like $300 headphone! Very impressed.