DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Default Coated heads as reso?

I'm looking at getting a new kit later this year and the Gretsch Cat Mod is high on the list (I'm on a budget and don't wanna get into a discussion about the kit :P). The kit comes with coated Evan G1s on however I'll be upgrading them to coated G2s when I get it. My question is this, will I be able to use the coated G1s as reso heads. I would like to eventually get clear G1s as my resos but would the coated make a more inexpensive alternative? It's just I'd imagine that the coated resos would deaden the sound?

If anyone has experimented with coated resos before or anything similar you're help would be greatly appreciated.

:D
Old 07-12-2009, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Coated heads as reso?

Hey man, well I don't know much about Evans heads but I can tell that a friend had a Remo Coated Ambassador as his reso and Emperor X in batter and didn't sound bad, you get a little bit of a death sound but in the good way =P.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

I used to have a set Pacific CX drums. They sounded great, but since the shells were made of maple they would sustain for days. I decided at some point to use coated Remo Ambassadors on the bottoms of my 10 and 14 inch toms in addition to the coated Emperors I had on top, and was pleased with the results. The toms sounded warmer than they did with clear reso's, and the coating on the bottom head muffled the sustain just a tiny bit (keep in mindthat I didn't use any additional muffling). So, in answer to your question, I say "Go for it!" There was a time, by the way, when almost all drummers used coated heads on top and bottom The only clear heads available were for the bottoms of snare drums, until Remo came out with the Controlled Sound (black dot) head in 1968.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

It will warm up your sound a little, and you might get a little bit less sustain. The difference is basically the same as between coated and clear as batter heads.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

cool guys thanks for the advice. Think I'll go for it :D
Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 AM

Aww why do that?? Lol, the G1's sound so good on that kit. Much deeper than g2's, you wont get as deep a tuning with g2's... (depends on how you tune them, but these drums sound best lowww) I have a set, I am on my second round of g1's.

You will deffinately have to change the reso, they are as thin as suran wrap. I used g1 clears.

And whats all this about, " (I'm on a budget and don't wanna get into a discussion about the kit :P)" haha, I bought them because I fell in love with the sound, not because of the price. I will say, they sound different, but its a god different. The price was a bonus, I had some left over money for some cymbals. Take your time tuning them, it will pay off.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 AM
Administrator

The reso heads that come with the Gretsch are fine. G2 coated batters and you'll be fine. Coated resos may just kill the sound a bit more than you wish.