DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-17-2008, 03:40 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Joey Jordison was too overpowering, he's a phenominal drummer but he over did Lars' parts when they did songs with him. Dave Lombardo is is the god of double bass drum thunder, and he didn't do bad for the 2 1/2 minutes of playing time with the band as of what I saw. Him doing battery was good. I love Dave so i'm not going to speak against him.
Yeah, Slayers drummer might be one of the only people who actually might fit.
But I don't think it would be right.

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forums/index.php

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-17-2008, 03:52 AM
JanoHatesDrumming

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLovesSabian View Post
Yeah, Slayers drummer might be one of the only people who actually might fit.
But I don't think it would be right.
yeah he has a diffrent sound than lars but idk y i think this but vinnie paul wouldn't be all that bad either
Old 12-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanoHatesDrumming View Post
yeah he has a diffrent sound than lars but idk y i think this but vinnie paul wouldn't be all that bad either
Interesting choice, Pantera's drummer is another candidate.

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-17-2008, 03:58 AM
JanoHatesDrumming

Quote:
Interesting choice, Pantera's drummer is another candidate.
yeah the drumming on walk and drag the waters really drive home the point that lars and vinne are quite similar in styles
Old 12-17-2008, 04:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
yeah the drumming on walk and drag the waters really drive home the point that lars and vinne are quite similar in styles
Vinnie is more Groove-Oriented.
Lars likes to add to the sound with many fills.

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-17-2008, 04:15 AM
trkdrmr

I caught Metallica live in thier heyday. I loved Lar's white/black tama kit. It's an icon of metal in my book.

Those guys blew the roof off for 3 hours. I enjoy Lar's work, and aside from air-drumming at the show, he made me go home and play harder.

In fact, when my new kit gets done, I'd like to play MOP and Battery.

Incidentally, those who bash pro drummers are the lowest form of life right down there with slime molds. I don't want this forum to fill up with that kind of individual.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
I caught Metallica live in thier heyday. I loved Lar's white/black tama kit. It's an icon of metal in my book.

Those guys blew the roof off for 3 hours. I enjoy Lar's work, and aside from air-drumming at the show, he made me go home and play harder.

In fact, when my new kit gets done, I'd like to play MOP and Battery.

Incidentally, those who bash pro drummers are the lowest form of life right down there with slime molds. I don't want this forum to fill up with that kind of individual.
I love that kit so much, I made it my avatar

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-17-2008, 04:22 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
I love that kit so much, I made it my avatar
I want a wall poster of that kit.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I want a wall poster of that kit.
Ditto.
A picture of him playing it would be nice.
Do you like his newest kit?

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-17-2008, 04:35 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Ditto.
A picture of him playing it would be nice.
Do you like his newest kit?
The SC is a nice kit...don't get me wrong. For me, it's a letdown, and completely lacks the visual statement made by that white granstar.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The SC is a nice kit...don't get me wrong. For me, it's a letdown, and completely lacks the visual statement made by that white granstar.
I like the color to his newest, but there are only 2 mounted toms. WTF???
He plays metal, and should have more toms.

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Early Metallica has some impressive thrash drumming that was fresh and inspiring. I would have to agree that Lars playing has gotten less imaginative and sloppy as time has worn on. Not a slam on lars or saying I'm better or anything like that I just find the drums on the first 4 albums much more inspired than the later albums.

As far as the production sound they use for his playing Death Magnetic is better St. Anger was horrible. I would have to agree with the posters here that feel Metallica has grown redundant.

Heres a guy who can certainly do the older Lars parts quite well matter o fact aside from the singer this is a most awesome cover of a most awesome song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMauy...eature=related
Old 12-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
No they don't, not really.

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-17-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Hahaha are you kidding me? Metallica wouldn't be without Lars.
It's HIS and James' band.
I meant as a drummer, I didnt say he was a bad musician.

Quote:
Exactly.
There is no other drummer that could fit in Metallica
Quote:
i agree wholeheartedly no other drummer has the same mixture of speed and rhythm that would also atribute to the overall sound as well as lars

I believe in the exact opposite of what you just said, which proves further more that its all subjective really, so arguing at this point wont make any sense.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:46 PM

Do we comment on when Metallica was a metal or an alternative band?

I think most of us can agree what the holy trinity of Metallica albums are (Lightning, Master, Justice). Kill 'em all was good but not great. The Black Album abandoned thrash completely, and the Load albums, well...they sucked. I mean SUCKED. "Fuel"? Seriously?

Lars was/is (?) an awesome drummer. Not the best--he's no Lombardo (one of his more talented thrash peer)--but very good, very influential. Death Magnetic is much, MUCH better than anything they've done for the past twenty years or so, but it's too little too late. Lars is a good drummer, but I think he spends most of his time trying to be a good businessman.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
1)

4) One album you liked, and the rest you didn't. That doesn't make him a bad drummer. It means his music isn't your taste. Not the same thing, really.

Really, this was interesting. The poster you responded to said the "Black album" was interesting. LMMFAO...it was on that album that Lars and Metallica themselves said they scaled things down to the very basics...less time changes, shorter songs, easier riffs, less complicated structures. And the poster who complained about him said THIS was the album of interest.

This tells me, said poster has no clue about Metallica or simply doesn't like the band.

NO ONE can deny Lars WAS getting good in the 1980s...his improvement from Kill Em All to ...And Justice For All is fact, it's on tape. It's proven. I also saw them gig numerous times and he handled his craft well.

Now...after Black I'll admit Lars vanished as a drummer, he absolutely didn't get any better and seemed to regress as Metallica became a half-assed cover band/alt-grunge/rap/country/whatever they became band following Black.

Black album was an easier album to play on drums than the previous couple albums, but Lars rocked that album...his feel behind the kit was very instinctive.

Some of the complexity on ...And Justice For All was out of the Neal Peart book of drumming (before I get blasted for this, YES Neal is better by a mile). Frayed Ends of Sanity and Blackened are two ball kicking drum songs.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Silver Member

dunno if anyone has mentioned this already, but Lars had a ride on his kit for the first bunch of dates on the American tour goin on currently, but for the last bunch of dates its been taken out.

I'm a huge 'Tallica fan, its a real shame his playing his gotten so sloppy over the last 15 years.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:20 PM

For the recording of the Black Album Lars played a Gretsch kit rented from the Drum Doctors. For Load he used the same kicks from that kit. He admits this in his Modern Drummer interview from 96, stating that Tama were probably not too happy about it but that he'll always play Tama live.
On the Black Album, he did in excess of 60 takes for some tracks. Parts of these takes were edited together to form the final tracks. You can hear Bob Rock say on the Classic Albums DVD that getting a single take would have been nothing short of a miracle. That's why the Black Album has such solid tracks, not because Lars has great time.
Knowing this and comparing his early double kick work on albums with recent live recordings, you'd wonder how good he was to begin with. Recent live recordings show sloppy time and atrocious double kick work - not just a little bit off, but actually terrible. There are a few recordings of "One" on Youtube that show the signature triplet breakdown being butchered - sad considering that by today's standards the tempo is not that fast.
I was a fan of Lars' playing when I was young and that kind of playing was relatively new, but for my money, I expect much more from him in a live setting.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlit View Post
dunno if anyone has mentioned this already, but Lars had a ride on his kit for the first bunch of dates on the American tour goin on currently, but for the last bunch of dates its been taken out.

I'm a huge 'Tallica fan, its a real shame his playing his gotten so sloppy over the last 15 years.
He did use a ride during songs like "Ride the Lightning" "Until it Sleeps", "Bleeding Me", etc.
Not much during the thrash songs.

User ID Creeping Death
Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM

"Zildjian cymbals are not just the best cymbals, but the ONLY cymbals". (Lars Ulrich)

"He has been known to use a mixture of brands when recording in the studio, including Sabian Cymbals". (Wikipedia)

>___<

Last edited by Guz2; 01-05-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
They didn't actually play half those songs as you hear them.

Interesting. Lars must have lip-drummed in concert. I saw the guy play nearly every song off ...And Justice for All and he played them flawlessly.

The fact you read 'he can't play' is easily refuted by the knowledge that I saw him play those songs off ..And Justice For All and he certainly wasn't sloppy nor did he make a fool of himself.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolf68 View Post
Interesting. Lars must have lip-drummed in concert. I saw the guy play nearly every song off ...And Justice for All and he played them flawlessly.

The fact you read 'he can't play' is easily refuted by the knowledge that I saw him play those songs off ..And Justice For All and he certainly wasn't sloppy nor did he make a fool of himself.
I second this. Very true.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
"Zildjian cymbals are not just the best cymbals, but the ONLY cymbals". (Lars Ulrich)

"He has been known to use a mixture of brands when recording in the studio, including Sabian Cymbals". (Wikipedia)

>___<
The only non-Zildjian cymbals I've seen him use, are Sabian hats.

User ID Creeping Death
Old 01-13-2009, 05:48 PM

I listened to . and Justice for all several times when it came out in the eighties and really appreciated Lars for the excellent drumming, even though I was not inspired... .. Still love his playing through out the album synchronizing with the guitar.

The Dream Theater cover on YouTube is excellent as well.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
I listened to . and Justice for all several times when it came out in the eighties and really appreciated Lars for the excellent drumming, even though I was not inspired... .. Still love his playing through out the album synchronizing with the guitar.

The Dream Theater cover on YouTube is excellent as well.
Hahaha, your not inspired by too many people eh? I always see that in your posts. No offence or anything, but just something I noticed.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:30 AM

Ahhhh the everlasting conversation about the guy. Well, I must say me seeing his double bass kit made me play drums more. He was a god for me until I found another bands. Bands which were waaay better and played better music (for me). So then I realized Lars isn't that special. I learned basics from listening him play. So thank you for that, Lars. Today, Lars sucks. Has a great feel, but totally sucks which is a shame because he has talent. Ahhhh what can you do? Not to buy Death magnetic, maybe? Of course. He started counting money and abandoned what he really should do: Creating music for music's sake. I can't listen to DM.

Rock on
Old 01-14-2009, 06:13 PM

Lars is one of the most famous drummers. Then more so then now.

But, personally i think he has the right ideas about drumming as some the dvd "some kind of monster" presents. But he goes about it all wrong.

but so does everybody else in that band. Not so much kirk, but yeah. He fits with that band is all I can say really.

"Nah I'm the drummer"
Old 01-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

saw them on thursday. great show as usual.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Gold Member

Lars plays for the song and brings emotion and credibility to the intense music of early Metallica, there is no Metallica without Lars, sure he's no clinician - but he's still one helluva drummer who gets paid a lot more than we all do ;-)

Lars was one of my early inspirations, and i still respect his playing...
Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 AM

I use to always think Lars was an "ok" drummer but, I went to go see Metallica about two weeks ago in New Jersey and he had his drum set on a platform to rotate because it was center stage and it completely made me change my mind. I was watching his feet during one of the faster double bass songs and he was using his left foot for the double bass part and he was just using his right for accents. I never saw anyone do this. Man, now I think he's really good.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
Ahhhh the everlasting conversation about the guy. Well, I must say me seeing his double bass kit made me play drums more. He was a god for me until I found another bands. Bands which were waaay better and played better music (for me). So then I realized Lars isn't that special. I learned basics from listening him play. So thank you for that, Lars. Today, Lars sucks. Has a great feel, but totally sucks which is a shame because he has talent. Ahhhh what can you do? Not to buy Death magnetic, maybe? Of course. He started counting money and abandoned what he really should do: Creating music for music's sake. I can't listen to DM.

Rock on

I would've agreed with you on that about a month ago. But, if you watch his left foot he plays most of the double bass stuff with his left foot and just uses hes right for accents. The best approach, no but, I must say I was impressed.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 AM

lars is solid, and the fact that he uses his double base in an odd manner makes me feel a little safer because, now I know it's alright to do that. His drumming was innovative for his time because no one really played like that. I dont think hes anything special, but i do agree he has talent.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:08 AM

Death Magnetic....the steady fast groove in "the day that never comes" is awsome!, I know I will have to go a long way to play like that, but his playing is so steady and never misses a beat. I listen to that song when I work out.

The drum sound is not good, blame it on the engineers!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89 View Post
Oh yeah, anyone ever notice that Lars used a ride cymbal on Kill 'Em All, and Ride the Lightning, and never used one again? With the exception of Welcome Home's intro and the breakdown of Disposable Heroes on Master of Puppets, he does not use it at all on any of the other albums.

- Marc
sorry if im wrong, but i think their song "bleeding me" has ride at the intro. o. it does.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixxicus View Post
lars is solid, and the fact that he uses his double base in an odd manner makes me feel a little safer because, now I know it's alright to do that. His drumming was innovative for his time because no one really played like that. I dont think hes anything special, but i do agree he has talent.
ya. i agree. some of his double bass sounds really different but cool. i don't like drummers who play 32'd notes on the bass the whole song.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENANEB View Post
sorry if im wrong, but i think their song "bleeding me" has ride at the intro. o. it does.
And in the Unforgiven 2, IIRC
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
Death Magnetic....the steady fast groove in "the day that never comes" is awsome!, I know I will have to go a long way to play like that, but his playing is so steady and never misses a beat. I listen to that song when I work out.

The drum sound is not good, blame it on the engineers!
Don't blame it on the engineers. Metallica actually co-produced the album with Rubin, so it's actually them to blame. If Rubin wasn't happy with the drum sound, it wouldn't have gotten through. Engineers tend to just do what they're told.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
And in the Unforgiven 2, IIRC
until it sleeps (intro)
Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Silver Member

lars was one of my favorite drummers when i was comming up. his play very much inspired me back in the day. i just think that he should start practicing again to add fresh new things to his playing to keep it interesting.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:39 AM

Not to be a butt, but I think this guy is over-rated.