DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-07-2008, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipercussionist View Post
You say that like it's a BAD thing!!! Phil Rudd is one of the most groove oriented drummers EVER!! What would be the downside to playing so well? There are FUNK drummers without so much "pocket" as Rudd has.

I know, I like how he plays behind the beat, too. But, if it wasn't for Lars, I wouldn't know about blast beats, and all that good stuff.

Don't get me wrong, I love Phil/Simon/Chris and AC/DC, but Lars changed the way I drummed forever.

But if it wasn't for Phil I would have never learn how to do the simple grove that he always plays.

Last edited by metal overlord; 09-11-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:05 PM
coolgroove

hello community im new here and i would like to know which kit does lars used in AND JUSTICE FOR ALL if any of you has any kind of info bout this please let me know tnx
Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgroove View Post
hello community im new here and i would like to know which kit does lars used in AND JUSTICE FOR ALL if any of you has any kind of info bout this please let me know tnx
Tama Granstar II (birch shells)
Drums:
-14x6.5" Bell Brass/14x8" Birch Snare Drum
-Two 24x16" bass drums
-10x10",12x11",14x13",16x15" toms and two 18x16" floor toms

Cymbals: (All Zildjian)
-Two 14" Z Custom 'Dyno Beat' Hi Hats
-17" and 18" A Medium crashes
-16",17" and 18" A Rock crashes
-20" Z Custom China
All cymbals were in 'brilliant' finish

Hardware (all Tama):
- 6x Titan HC104TB Cymbal Boom Stands
- 2x HP45 Pro Beat Pedals
- Titan HS90 Snare Stand
- Titan HT90 Throne
- Lever-Glide HH95NL Hi-Hat
- HH95XH X-Hat
- 2x 65 Multi Clamp

Heads:
Remo clear Pinstripe batter heads on toms and bass drums. Remo 'Ebony' (black) Ambassadors as resonant heads. Snare head was a Remo coated CS with reverse dot and ambassador snare side resonant.

Sticks:
Regal Tip 5B - Lars Ulrich model. Also used grip tape when playing.

Heres the link
http://www.encycmet.com/equipment/larseq.shtml
This is not his famous black and white kit. That was an Artstar II maple shells. This kit was grey with black hardware.
I tried to memorize all of it, but the hardware confuses me -.-
Old 11-03-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
Alright. Lars. Hate him. he reminds me of the drummer who dosen't care about rudiments TECHNIQUE, or staying in the pocket. Lars is horrible. I watched alot of Metallica live and he struggles to hold some sort of tempo. Lars is just one of those drummers that just bangs on drums and dosen't play on them. Lars plays the same old beat, the same old fill and he's about as amusing as watching paint dry. Lars rides on the coat tails of metallica and James Hetfield. in the end lars is one of those drummers undeserving of his title of being a good drummer. Just because he's in a successfull band dosen't make him good.
As many people say, He holds the beat and drives the music and that's his fundamental job. But the thing that gets me about him is the way he doesn't try to put any feeling (sorry for sounding so pretentious) in his playing. For example, His only dynamic is FFF. Listen to nothing else matters and you'll see what i mean.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:55 PM

hello, sorry for butting in.

to cap off my opinion of lars, he ISN'T one of the better drummers, let alone of the metal drummers. but the way he does his stuff on the drums, the way he performs... he defined how metal drummers should drum metal. that's what matters, at least to me - and probably to lars :p

anyway, i'm a newbie here, so please don't wedgie me.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Lars is my favorite drummer ever.
He mastered double kicks like a fiend
Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 AM

How long can you play ACDC beats in a metal band? ok... seriously, he was an OK thrash drummer in kill em all. Everything after that i cant listen to just because of his drumming. You can say that he fits the band well for what they play and blah blah blah.. I just personally think that he doesnt work well with the music at all from a thrash metal point of view. Hes a bearable ROCK drummer... but he totally sucks at playing thrash metal. If you watch them live on youtube the extra fills he puts in for the show are absolutely terrible and have no place in the actual song. You can even see him miss his hits a few times. In recordings he plays the most boring beats you could imagine. He has absolutely no creativity. The things you guys say here about him creating these "interesting beats" i just dont see. these beats you speak of sound like a little kid who had never even played drums before had come up with them. lars is a hack that got caught up with a bunch of talented indivuals. I believe Lars Ulrich is an embarassment to the thrash metal genre. Go listen to Clemente, Lombardo, Tempesta, Bostaph, Hoglan, and Benante if you want to know what REAL talented thrash drumming is.
\m/ THRASH TILL DETH \m/ "No glam, death to posers!"- Gene Holgan

Last edited by Abstsbtsb; 11-07-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling, language
Old 11-07-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstsbtsb View Post
How long can you play ACDC beats in a metal band? ok... seriously, he was an OK thrash drummer in kill em all. Everything after that i cant listen to just because of his drumming. You can say that he fits the band well for what they play and blah blah blah.. I just personally think that he doesnt work well with the music at all from a thrash metal point of view. Hes a bearable ROCK drummer... but he totally sucks at playing thrash metal. If you watch them live on youtube the extra fills he puts in for the show are absolutely terrible and have no place in the actual song. You can even see him miss his hits a few times. In recordings he plays the most boring beats you could imagine. He has absolutely no creativity. The things you guys say here about him creating these "interesting beats" i cant beleive. these beats you speak sound like a little kid who had never even played drums before had come up with them. I think lars is a hack that got caught up with a bunch of talented indivuals. I beleive Lars Ulrich is an embarassment to the thrash metal community. Go listen to Clemente, lombardo, tempesta, bostaph, hoglan, and benante if you want to know what a real talented thrash drumming is.
\m/ THRASH TILL DETH \m/
Absolutely. I'm tired of listening to people rave about Ulrich. He's probably the most overrated drummer of our time. He lacks creativity, and it's just plain boring for the most part. I didn't mind Kill Em All, but the rest of his work is just...lacking. His live fills are half hearted and messy. Of course letting the music ring out is important, but I think this guy took it way too far (if those were even his intentions to begin with, sounding the way he does.) To sum it up, it just sounds unbelievably half-hearted and boring to me, all in all.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 AM

And just because he holds the beat and is a character on stage doesnt make him good AT ALL. In fact, since thats ALL HE CAN DO, it makes him a terrible drummer.

Last edited by Abstsbtsb; 11-07-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:44 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
How long can you play ACDC beats in a metal band? ok... seriously, he was an OK thrash drummer in kill em all. Everything after that i cant listen to just because of his drumming. You can say that he fits the band well for what they play and blah blah blah.. I just personally think that he doesnt work well with the music at all from a thrash metal point of view. Hes a bearable ROCK drummer... but he totally sucks at playing thrash metal. If you watch them live on youtube the extra fills he puts in for the show are absolutely terrible and have no place in the actual song. You can even see him miss his hits a few times. In recordings he plays the most boring beats you could imagine. He has absolutely no creativity. The things you guys say here about him creating these "interesting beats" i just dont see. these beats you speak of sound like a little kid who had never even played drums before had come up with them. lars is a hack that got caught up with a bunch of talented indivuals. I believe Lars Ulrich is an embarassment to the thrash metal genre. Go listen to Clemente, Lombardo, Tempesta, Bostaph, Hoglan, and Benante if you want to know what REAL talented thrash drumming is.
\m/ THRASH TILL DETH \m/ "No glam, death to posers!"- Gene Holgan
Yeah so what? Keep your opinions to yourself.

Lars changed the way I played & looked at music.

I don't see you playing in a band as successful as Metallica.
I could, would and should say more because I am tired to death of Lars bashers, but hell, I'm so tired of going off on them.

& just for fun since you added your quote
"Kill all the posers!" - Gary Holt (Exodus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedwolf View Post
Absolutely. I'm tired of listening to people rave about Ulrich. He's probably the most overrated drummer of our time. He lacks creativity, and it's just plain boring for the most part. I didn't mind Kill Em All, but the rest of his work is just...lacking. His live fills are half hearted and messy. Of course letting the music ring out is important, but I think this guy took it way too far (if those were even his intentions to begin with, sounding the way he does.) To sum it up, it just sounds unbelievably half-hearted and boring to me, all in all.
Absoluely not. I'm tired of people bashing him. I am so god forsaken tired of being ridiculed for actually liking Lars & Lars being laughed at.
BUT, you both rock because I'm not one of the only few thrashers here =D

Last edited by metal overlord; 11-09-2008 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
Yeah so what? Keep your opinions to yourself. =D
Isnt this thread asking for our opinions?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 AM

He might be the only drummer who's got worse over time instead of better, but I think he's ok. And I really like the shiny cymbals he uses live. :)

And to settle the debate he uses Gretsch iin the studio and Tama live, I was told. Bu he uses really high-pitched cymbals, which I don't like.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Isnt this thread asking for our opinions?
Not negative. You don't see people going to the Joey Jordison thread and saying "Lolz he suckzors, what a overrated poopoo head!!!11!!1" do you?

Last edited by metal overlord; 11-11-2008 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
He might be the only drummer who's got worse over time instead of better, but I think he's ok. And I really like the shiny cymbals he uses live. :)

And to settle the debate he uses Gretsch iin the studio and Tama live, I was told. Bu he uses really high-pitched cymbals, which I don't like.
He used to used Gretsch Black Beauty for recording along with and old Superstar or Artstar or Granstar and Sabian hi-hat.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Still my favorite drummer!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Not negative. You don't see people going to the Joey Jordison thread and saying "Lolz he suckzors, what a overrated poopoo head!!!11!!1" do you?
Not true. The discussion board allows both positive and negative, provided both are provided in an intelligent manner leading to a respectful discussion.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

Once again.
Still My Favorite Drummer.
And the songs that he records, he plays excellently live, not like what you guys were talking about.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Not true. The discussion board allows both positive and negative, provided both are provided in an intelligent manner leading to a respectful discussion.
I don't respect Lars haters.

I'm a bad person. =(
Old 11-16-2008, 10:42 PM

sorry for having an opinion
Old 11-16-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Thank you somebody. I don't "hate" Ulrich. I just have my opinions about his what I think to be mediocre drumming.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thank you somebody. I don't "hate" Ulrich. I just have my opinions about his what I think to be mediocre drumming.
Do you think you can do better?
Old 11-29-2008, 06:52 PM

I'm probably the last person one can accuse of hating Lars... I mean, I actually realized that drums were a part of music after listening to Metallica when I was a kid. And I learned all his parts by heart without ever having played the drums. I still know all of them and with practise I guess I can play any Metallica song right off the bat. So he's a huge influence on me. But... what the hell is wrong with him on Death Magnetic? The drum parts are totally uninspired and... it just isn't Lars... I was so very much disappointed. I mean, it's a good album, the songs are cool, but the drums... Nothing, absolutely nothing of any value.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLovesSabian View Post
Do you think you can do better?

I never really understood this kind of "argument".
Old 12-01-2008, 05:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDavid View Post
It's usually the last (blow your wad) attempt to try to prove a point, which in itself gives solid evidence of where the individual is in thier drumming abilities. It's a natural retort when all other avenues of personal opinion and preferrence have been exausted. Chances are that the one asked will not be able to give clear evidence to the accusation/question. But man, is it sweet when its responded to with conviction and proof.

I don't know why I even commented on that.. lol
Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDavid View Post
Some kind of guy on here was making fun of Lars, saying he was mediocre, so I defended him.

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forums/index.php

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Aggressivec

OK, let me say that I am a huge Metallica fan and the first 4 albums inspire me to this day. That said, I really hate Lars. He is full of himself, whiney and bad and drums. There, I said it. Sorry.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Travis Barker and Ringo Starr are way way more overrated.

If you listen to Lars without a band over the top he's incredibly sloppy. I can hardly believe they used this as an album take, like someone said in the comments below the video. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pDoUSHjKJhk
Old 12-11-2008, 01:21 AM

Right! Lars is an amazing drumming, listen to anything from the Justice album thoses songs are so tight and the drumming is hard. Leave Lars alone he's my fav drummer, along with Dave McClain, Travis Barker, Dave Lombardo and Brad Wilk along with many others. Enough Said
Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressivec View Post
OK, let me say that I am a huge Metallica fan and the first 4 albums inspire me to this day. That said, I really hate Lars. He is full of himself, whiney and bad and drums. There, I said it. Sorry.
He is full of himself, and whiney.
But he still is an amazing drummer.

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybird2007 View Post
Right! Lars is an amazing drumming, listen to anything from the Justice album thoses songs are so tight and the drumming is hard. Leave Lars alone he's my fav drummer, along with Dave McClain, Travis Barker, Dave Lombardo and Brad Wilk along with many others. Enough Said
I used to be a huge fan of Metallica and I used to think the drumming on ...and Justice for All was awesome, until I learned that Flemming Rasmussen, the producer, spliced various things together to compose the songs in the studio with the guys. They didn't actually play half those songs as you hear them. Plus, Lars refuses to play "Dyer's Eve" live, because he can't actually sustain that speed on the bass drums, messes up a lot and makes a fool of himself. This would be another reason why they hate playing the songs from Justice, since they are so "hard". So, they went to playing dumbed-down AC/DC crap afterwards.

The only thing I really like about CockRocktallica are the LYRICS on the early records, pertaining to their political ideologies, which mostly I agree with.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:31 PM

Lars could have been much more than he is. IMHO he stopped growing and started counting money. He is a better arranger and producer/motivator than he is a drummer. I can not listen to his latest work...
Old 12-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ballard View Post
I used to be a huge fan of Metallica and I used to think the drumming on ...and Justice for All was awesome, until I learned that Flemming Rasmussen, the producer, spliced various things together to compose the songs in the studio with the guys. They didn't actually play half those songs as you hear them. Plus, Lars refuses to play "Dyer's Eve" live, because he can't actually sustain that speed on the bass drums, messes up a lot and makes a fool of himself. This would be another reason why they hate playing the songs from Justice, since they are so "hard". So, they went to playing dumbed-down AC/DC crap afterwards.
The only thing I really like about CockRocktallica are the LYRICS on the early records, pertaining to their political ideologies, which mostly I agree with.
Really now? AC/DC is crap?
CockRocktallica?

My god, I have to stay off this thread. I'm going to get myself banned going off on people like you. You people drive me up a wall when you bash Lars, and for a hot-head like me, that's bad.

Normally I would, or maybe put a well thought out theory to condradict your statement. But I don't have the time or will to.

But your on my "most hated" list for saying AC/DC crap.

EDIT: God I love posting this

Last edited by metal overlord; 01-11-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 AM
Silver Member

Don't know why, but lately I'm really getting into old Metallica (esp. Master of Puppets). Hard to believe these albums are 20 years old now.

Great stuff. I find myself singing out loud with my headphones on at work. The lyrics are probably scaring my work neighbors. But they think I'm insane anyway.

Does anyone have any bootlegs of their 80's live shows? I'm wondering how well Lars played on them. I've never heard any and the stories of Lars not playing the old, fast stuff aren't limited to the drummer forums, that's for sure.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Really now? AC/DC is crap?
CockRocktallica?

My god, I have to stay off this thread. I'm going to get myself banned going off on people like you. You people drive me up a wall when you bash Lars, and for a hot-head like me, that's bad.

Normally I would, or maybe put a well thought out theory to condradict your statement. But I don't have the time or will to.

But your on my "most hated" list for saying AC/DC crap.
Wow.

AC/DC had a couple good tunes in the 70's and early 80's, but they decided to formulate a style that varies very little over the years, to the point of utter redundancy. I don't think Back in Black and the records before are crap at all. I think that they have written the same two or three songs over and over and over in the years after "...Black" and TO ME, they have become stale. "Big Gun" might be the only fairly unique song they've done in nearly three decades, IN MY OPINION.

Lars is a good drummer for what ...tallica plays. But the hero worship thing doesn't change the fact that he hacked his way through the drum parts for ...Justice and Flemming Rasmussen had to create usable tracks with heavy editing. That's just printed history. That doesn't mean I don't like the album, in fact it's my fave. I'm just not going to bow down and worship Lars' drumming.

The common denominator with AC and ...tallica, is that they have IN MY OPINION overextended a style to a point of ad nauseum and appear to be more interested in money, than progress.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:17 AM

IMO, he's somewhat mediocre, really overrated too. I'm not saying he should be a Chambers or an Adler, but he's just too Begginer-ish for my taste, In fact I think Metallica would have been better off without him. Most of his material isnt that original tbh, this has nothing to do with my not liking Metallica tho, he just doesnt impress me as a drummer, he's a bit of a wanker too.

P.S. First post btw hello!, wew.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:53 AM

By the way, Metallica is basically his band, so that would explain why they haven't gotten rid of him :p If anyone was wondering.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBuddha View Post
IMO, he's somewhat mediocre, really overrated too. I'm not saying he should be a Chambers or an Adler, but he's just too Begginer-ish for my taste, In fact I think Metallica would have been better off without him. Most of his material isnt that original tbh, this has nothing to do with my not liking Metallica tho, he just doesnt impress me as a drummer, he's a bit of a wanker too.

P.S. First post btw hello!, wew.

Hahaha are you kidding me? Metallica wouldn't be without Lars.
It's HIS and James' band.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hahaha are you kidding me? Metallica wouldn't be without Lars.
It's HIS and James' band.
Exactly.
There is no other drummer that could fit in Metallica

User ID Creeping Death
Old 12-17-2008, 02:37 AM
JanoHatesDrumming

Quote:
Exactly.
i agree wholeheartedly no other drummer has the same mixture of speed and rhythm that would also atribute to the overall sound as well as lars
Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Exactly.

Joey Jordison was too overpowering, he's a phenominal drummer but he over did Lars' parts when they did songs with him. Dave Lombardo is is the god of double bass drum thunder, and he didn't do bad for the 2 1/2 minutes of playing time with the band as of what I saw. Him doing battery was good. I love Dave so i'm not going to speak against him.