DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-15-2006, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Lars is known to use odd time signatures on several occasions. For example, the earliest examples would be "Welcom Home (Sanitarium)" which I believe is in 5/8 time. Also in Master of Puppets, would be "Leper Messiah" with is in 5/4 for a good portion of the song and "Orion", which changes time signatures many times. "Blackened" is in 7/4 in the main riff. More recently, "Frantic" is predominately in 7/8 (I'm pretty sure, but I really hated the new album, so I haven't heard too much).

- Marc
Old 04-16-2006, 05:50 AM

Lars doing a drum solo. James then does a duel solo with him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5nEGSRZ-3...%20drum%20solo

- Marc

P.S. Be advised that the sound does not sync up with the video, so there is a bit of a delay.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:20 AM

I like his drumming. Hes not the best, but far better than me so who am I to trash him? And tell me one drummer thats into metal that hasnt learned one Metallica song. I know I have worked out most of 2 songs. As for him and Napster, well come on.Thats how he makes his money, thats how a lot of people make there money. Its not the same as the old tape sharing days of the 80's. I have the original tape of Metallica I got sometime in 83 or 82. Its a dubed tape and as soon as I saw a LP in the store I bought it so I could get a better copy of it. Now you can get cd quality from your computer and never buy the original. Never pay anyone for the music. That would be like someone in the parking lot of the shop I work at fixing motorcycles so people didnt have to pay me. Your right I would be out there having a few words with that guy! Or better yet, someone just burning 50 copies of my bands cd and only paying me for one or maybe none,after I have spent a lot of money to make it, thats sounds great sign me up.Ya maybe he doesnt need the money but even if you where that rich I am sure you wouldnt like someone stealing from you, even if it was just a few dollars. So go ahead and trash me now for being on there side, I dont care.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:46 AM

I think he's one of the best metal drummers... mixes up his time... has his own sound... A lot of people try copy him. I'm not a big Metallica fan, but respect his ability.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbeat
I think he's one of the best metal drummers... mixes up his time... has his own sound... A lot of people try copy him. I'm not a big Metallica fan, but respect his ability.
True..........Lars was one of the original metal drummers, and is part of the reason there is the "heavy" style of drumming. I do find that he is not much for fills, rather, he throws in rolls on the snare and sometimes on the toms. All in all, a solid drummer, but credit is given where it is due.

- Marc
Old 04-23-2006, 04:55 AM

1st post.

Lars is a big inspiration to me, always has been. I've been a big Metallica fan, and a Lars fan for as long as I can remember.

I miss Lars' white Granstar kit, that was THE classic Lars drum kit.

It's true, he's not up there with some of the greats, but he plays with passion.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:05 AM

Lars is truley an amazing drummer. His style is unique and it's enjoyable to listen to his symbal patterns, how he transfers back and forth, and makes almost like little solo's with his symbal. I think hes just right for Metallica. He knows when to play it simple, and when to kick it up. Like enter sandman, simple beat. Then, you got One. Its insanity. Anyhow. I think Lars is one of the best drummers today in the world of rock/metal. I hope he remains in Metallica.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will-Myster
Lars is truley an amazing drummer. His style is unique and it's enjoyable to listen to his symbal patterns, how he transfers back and forth, and makes almost like little solo's with his symbal. I think hes just right for Metallica. He knows when to play it simple, and when to kick it up. Like enter sandman, simple beat. Then, you got One. Its insanity. Anyhow. I think Lars is one of the best drummers today in the world of rock/metal. I hope he remains in Metallica.
A "symbol" is one object that represents another by association, resemblance, or convention, while a "cymbal" is a musical instrument.

I agree with you. Lars knows when to play both simple and complicated grooves, and has a knowledge of when and where such grooves should be played. However, I have to disagree with your opinion of "Enter Sandman", as Lars could have created a more complicated beat which would have fit the song better.

- Marc
Old 04-26-2006, 11:27 AM

he is a solid drummer I will give him that but he has never evolved. Never anything thing more interesting from one album to the next and as part of a band that influenced a lot of early metal drummers I wish he would have devoloped into something better.

Oh well
Old 04-27-2006, 02:19 AM

Lars was very good after ...And Justice for All. Look at any of the videos from the tour Metallica did in the late 1980s or early 1990s (I usually know a video will be pleasing to me if I see that Lars is using his huge Granstar II), and one will see that Lars is indeed very skilled.

- Marc
Old 05-01-2006, 11:37 AM

Lars is probably the best "in context" heavy rock drummer of his era. Unlike alot of Metallica fans out there, i don't like their earlier stuff. Reload and S&M have been the bands highlights for me. Listen carefully to the drumming on One (S&M) and Call Of The Ktulu (S&M) and Devils Dance (Reload), top notch stuff...me <3 Lars Ulrich :D
Old 05-02-2006, 12:34 PM

i really enjoy listening to and playing along to lots of metallicas work. all in all, his drumming is over average-good (some excellent) playing, and i dont like hearing "lars is ok but not the best" - not alot of people are the best, he knows that, so do many other people, why are so many people comparing him all the time?

personally i dont think there could be any better work done for the drumming on most metallica songs, also some say he has lagging in pace, for double bass. last time i checked on songs like dyers eve, fight fire with fire, etc, they were pretty much up to scatch even on st anger invisible kid has some fast bits too.

so keep up the drumming lars!
Old 05-07-2006, 04:20 AM

Eye of the Beholder:

I agree: only one person can be the best. I think currently Lars is just not playing as well as he used to. Considering that St. Anger (although it in no way compares to the original 4 Metallica albums) was a return to Metallica's roots (some of it is thrashy, but it is mostly alternative metal), Lars has not played much of the material. There was a 3 year hiatus for the band.

However, I still think that Lars, the drummer for the biggest Rock band in the world, has no excuse to not be performing as well. If I could recommend a few things, I'd tell Lars to a) get your old Granstar II with all 4 mounted toms, b) practice your double bassing, and c) get a ride cymbal, instead of using a china cymbal in it's place.

- Marc
Old 05-08-2006, 10:05 AM

He doesn't have a ride? Strange...

I think Lars is pretty mediocre. He gets the job done, and that's what's most important.

I always get in an argument with a friend of mine, who really loves metallica, and thinks Lars is the best drummer in the world...sigh...
Old 05-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
Eye of the Beholder:

I agree: only one person can be the best. I think currently Lars is just not playing as well as he used to. Considering that St. Anger (although it in no way compares to the original 4 Metallica albums) was a return to Metallica's roots (some of it is thrashy, but it is mostly alternative metal), Lars has not played much of the material. There was a 3 year hiatus for the band.

However, I still think that Lars, the drummer for the biggest Rock band in the world, has no excuse to not be performing as well. If I could recommend a few things, I'd tell Lars to a) get your old Granstar II with all 4 mounted toms, b) practice your double bassing, and c) get a ride cymbal, instead of using a china cymbal in it's place.

- Marc
Does he really have to practice his doulbe bass? have you already seen him live and did he mess up a little? Well I think I have heard that in the old days of metallica he often had to warm up for a long time for being able to play some songs with fast double bass but is this still the case?
I have also heard they have never played dyer´s eve live, is this true? (great song and pretty fast double bass)
Old 05-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

They have played Dyer's Eve live. Twice. Once in Lollapalooza '93 and another time in May '04 (I used to have a bootlegged recording) So he can still play it. Just.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:56 PM

I think his drumming is worth listening from ride the lightning to master of puppets, for the remainder it's just rock'n'roll....he also admitted that from the black album onwards he wanted his drumming to become closer with the bass than the guitars and that's probably the result of his playing on the more recent albums, which I personally don't find very interesting, well yet again I guess the songs have an influence on my opinion
Old 05-09-2006, 02:35 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerspoon2
the dude who helped do this really badass Slayer cd is doing the next Metallica cd. This may just be a rumor, but I think it's the truth cause I've heard it everywhere.
You mean Rick Rubin? He produced quite a few of the early Slayer albums. Good producer, he also worked with System of a Down amongst others. Either way it couldn't be any worse than Bob Rock.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
You mean Rick Rubin? He produced quite a few of the early Slayer albums. Good producer, he also worked with System of a Down amongst others. Either way it couldn't be any worse than Bob Rock.
True, i also heard Rick Rubin is going to produce Metallica's next cd. I believe he also produced for the Chili Peppers.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdy
True, i also heard Rick Rubin is going to produce Metallica's next cd. I believe he also produced for the Chili Peppers.
I'm actually in two different minds about Rick. Part of me sees him as a great producer who has produced many many classic albums. Consistent and he usually delivers. However, another part of me can't help but think he's very one dimensional. He can produce metal very, very well, but I haven't seen much outside of that genre.

Either way I prefer Trent Reznor, Alan Parsons and Mike Oldfield. Of course there's no way he could be worse than Rock. I cannot stand Bob Rock.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Gold Member

I dig Rick Ruben.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with being good at only one thing.

He kicks ass for metal. That is what Metallica needs to get back to. Ever since the black album with Bob Rock, they became Bon Jovi part 2.

Rick Ruben might make the little boys become men again.

I was watching my bootleg concert of Metallica from the MOP tour at a small club last night. Jason Newstead's first gig. They were really great back then.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
Of course there's no way he could be worse than Rock. I cannot stand Bob Rock.
I fully agree, i can't stand that guy either.

I thought Rick Rubin has produced lots of non metal albums too?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

He probably did. It just seems to me he seems big in only the one genre.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampiricNightMachine
Does he really have to practice his doulbe bass? have you already seen him live and did he mess up a little? Well I think I have heard that in the old days of metallica he often had to warm up for a long time for being able to play some songs with fast double bass but is this still the case?
I have also heard they have never played dyer´s eve live, is this true? (great song and pretty fast double bass)
I saw them play Dyer's Eve. Lars made no attempt whatsoever to even play the double bass part. He simply played slow 16th notes on the high hat, 8th notes on the snare, and played a single bass durm stroke on the "e"s. It was sad.

The only song I have ever seen him perform the double bass properly was "Harvester of Sorrow".

And for God's Sake - Get a Ride cymbal!!! This and the tom issue annoy me most. Get the two other toms back, and get a ride! He uses this China in the place of a ride, and it sounds horrible. In case no one noticed, Lars hasn't used a ride cymbal since Master of Puppets. Check it out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=crsD-uQ6q...e%20Unforgiven

I know that he uses a hihat at the part he uses the china, but I still hate it. GET A RIDE LARS!!!!!!!!

- Marc
Old 05-10-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I saw them play Dyer's Eve. Lars made no attempt whatsoever to even play the double bass part. He simply played slow 16th notes on the high hat, 8th notes on the snare, and played a single bass durm stroke on the "e"s. It was sad.

The only song I have ever seen him perform the double bass properly was "Harvester of Sorrow".

And for God's Sake - Get a Ride cymbal!!! This and the tom issue annoy me most. Get the two other toms back, and get a ride! He uses this China in the place of a ride, and it sounds horrible. In case no one noticed, Lars hasn't used a ride cymbal since Master of Puppets. Check it out!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=crsD-uQ6q...e%20Unforgiven

I know that he uses a hihat at the part he uses the china, but I still hate it. GET A RIDE LARS!!!!!!!!

- Marc
What the hell are you talking about!? Lars used a ride in every album, but he played it as a ping cymbal! Do your research man!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Gold Member

I think tambian is right.

If he has it on his set, I haven't heard him use it.

I guess Lars is doing really horrible technically now.

I was watching one of Dave Lombardo's drum clinics and he stated that Lars isn't drumming really well now. That is one of the reasons he and Joey played live with Metallica.

Also, Dave was cool about it. He said that it was sad. He then gave a recollection of his troubles in 1990 and 1991. He stated that sometimes musicians go through this.

According to Dave, Lars has lots of trouble with keeping the tempo of the songs consistent.

Mike
Old 05-11-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich87
What the hell are you talking about!? Lars used a ride in every album, but he played it as a ping cymbal! Do your research man!!!

not on the live songs ive seen so far.. on some kind of a monster documentary they play frantic.. and he is using some sort of a china
Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernal drummer
not on the live songs ive seen so far.. on some kind of a monster documentary they play frantic.. and he is using some sort of a china
Oh.. You were talking about recent, live? Well no matter, the china he uses now makes almost the same sound as the St.anger ride.. imo
And I'd say that I like the china better:)
Old 05-11-2006, 09:13 PM

can't say I like him. And somebody should really give him some bigger cymbals. he should be using 18",19" and 20". It would suit his style and Metallica's music MUCH better! Using Z custom instead of A custom would also be a great inprovement.

anyone agree?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I disagree actually, I quite think he's done very very well with the gear he's got. Listen to 'Master of Puppets'. Whatever setup he's using there, he should go right back to it. I know he's using a Black Beauty snare there he borrowed on that album. His cymbals sound great and that was made before A or indeed Z Customs were even on the market.

I really used to love Metallica a few years ago, but I started listening again with a more critical ear. Actually, on the early albums I quite admire his playing. It's nothing to scream from the rooftops about but it fits the music perfectly.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynn
can't say I like him. And somebody should really give him some bigger cymbals. he should be using 18",19" and 20". It would suit his style and Metallica's music MUCH better! Using Z custom instead of A custom would also be a great inprovement.

anyone agree?
Not really, sorry...

His A customs sound really great. Maybe he should get some bigger ones, but his seem to be doing fine. It's not like you can't hear them above anything else.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 PM

I play A custom too, and they sound great. but they don't fit metallica as well as i think Z custom would...
Old 05-18-2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eZSjCQiaL...eeping%20Death

I think the is Lars' (and Metallica's) best performance.

- Marc
that's the best i've ever heard james' voice sound live. killer, thanks.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:55 PM

I think Lars is great, and he has been, and allways will be, a huge inspiration to me.
And i agree, i think it's crap that he's not using his granstar anymore. I mean, c'mon, how can you not love this?

Black and white deliciousness. I wish i had hardware like that.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:27 AM

Hi there,

Does anyone know how he performs the doubles on his bass drum.

i.e. heel toe technique? or what?

Thanks,
K
Old 05-22-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDNDrummer
Hi there,

Does anyone know how he performs the doubles on his bass drum.

i.e. heel toe technique? or what?

Thanks,
K
He does it straight out, fast "gravity" heel up style. ie. you use the toe to make one sound, then you lift your knee a slightly, and hits it with toes again. I use the same tecnique but it is a little difficult to explain in wrighting.. I hope this cleared it up a little though:)

Last edited by Ulrich87; 05-22-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:28 PM

Love him! Great drummer cool style, very much an inspiration! Well to me anyway! LOL
Old 05-26-2006, 02:14 AM

Yeh, his drumming on ST Anger is great, apart from the Snare but you get used to it. I prefer the fat flat sounding snare he uses on his earlier albums. What really annoys me is that he has excellent bass drumming style but it is not that easy to hear on their albumns, except maybe reload and S&M. Especially when he plays song on St Anger where he alternates (very quickly I might add) the single and double with his right foot (fast parts on st anger - not the double bass)
Old 05-26-2006, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrich87
I've done plenty of research. Everything is hihats and crash. The only time he may even use a ride is to get a the sound of a crash ( a very heavy crash). I've got the videos to prove it, and there is no way to replace a ride with a china. A ride is basically a necessity (regardless of the genre of music).

- Marc
Old 05-29-2006, 02:41 AM

Quote:
I've done plenty of research. Everything is hihats and crash. The only time he may even use a ride is to get a the sound of a crash ( a very heavy crash). I've got the videos to prove it, and there is no way to replace a ride with a china. A ride is basically a necessity (regardless of the genre of music).

- Marc

how does he play the beginning of hero of the day?