DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Default DIY Drum Rack - Lets do it!

Hello DrummerWorld...

For referance... The rack i'm planning on building is going to be accommadating a 6 piece Mapex. The basic specifications are as follows... Two 14' Snares. Then a 12', 13' toms, then a 14' and 15' Floor tom, with a 22' Base drum.
Irrelevant, but i'm 16 at the moment. I would say i'm limited financially to a certain extend, but this really isn't about the money...
I liked the idea of a drum rack, went browsing and was pretty shock at what standard racks from Gib. and Pearl costed. Considering the current exchange rate.

Anyway... i'd like some help/advice on a few things...
I've starting putting some thought and time into a DIY Drum Rack. Which i'm sure can as effective as a retail Gibraltar or something, only if the put the time and well 'quality' into it.. which I really don't mind doing...

I've already measured and designed the basic shell of the Rack.. And have a brief idea of the materials i will be using for the joins and contacts etc..

My biggest problem is though... Is the clamps.
Firstly.. I'm not sure if there is a standard size for clamps of not(As they probably change in size from Rack series to another).
The piping has to be the size(Or Around There) of the clamps i'm going to use.. and until i find a set or make/brand of clamps that i'm going to dedicate to, i really can't get the piping...
And i'm not necessarily looking for top of the range clamps, if i we're this would be a lot easier..

Now, I talked to a few people who would be able to lend some advice onto this topic...
I could buy the rack clamps -
Firstly i am situated in South Africa, which is a beautiful place sure, but the exchange rate not being in my favour(The rand being R8.05 to the dollar and R13.00 to the pound). Now most online stores i've been through go down to saw a low of about 15$US for a standard multi-clamp, nothing fancy. That would be R120.75 for one clamp, and shipping and import duties being at 90% up. This option would just be ridiculious, as we're going to need quite a few clamps.
Making my own clamps - I've also been talking around, and some fresh and simple solutions were given, making this option very preferable. Luckily, My dad is in the casting industry(Aliminuim, Clay, Anything really), so i have all the necessary tool to do it, including sandblasting to polish things up. Has anyone attempted this before ? Please, shed some light and experiences on this option... Thanks.
And my third option as thus far is to use Yamaha Electrontic Kit Clamps. I've been recommended to try use this, and motify them to a certain extend to strengthen them... Again, if anyone can shed some experience of any ideas...

Let me know what you think...
Thank you DW
Paul Patterson
Old 07-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: DIY Drum Rack - Lets do it!

Well, if you can do with your normal hardware I would wait. A drumrack is an 'extra' in my book, not something essential. It's better to save up and purchase something good then to throw away money at something that you can't sell afterwards, and is bound to fall apart.
Unless you are very skilled in working with metal and stuff, I wouldn't even try.
Sorry, probably not really helpfull, but just my idea.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Well, if you can do with your normal hardware I would wait. A drumrack is an 'extra' in my book, not something essential. It's better to save up and purchase something good then to throw away money at something that you can't sell afterwards, and is bound to fall apart.
Unless you are very skilled in working with metal and stuff, I wouldn't even try.
Sorry, probably not really helpfull, but just my idea.
No problem.. I can understand your perspective...
Now i'm really not doing this to be ''cool'' with a drum rack, that is the least on my mind.
I've adopted it more as a freelance project now...
Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Standard rack tube size for Gibraltar and Pacific is 1.5"

Jim
Old 07-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a fun project. If you have the means to fabricate your own clamps, go for it!

I have to wonder, though, what would you hope to accomplish? Racks and clamps aren't terribly expensive and they work very very well. You could spend a huge amount of effort trying to create something that has already been perfected.