DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pearl Rhythm Traveler

Here is a pic that was taken at an outdoor party gig. I like the way that it came out.
My guitar player took it. We always use that tie dyed backdrop at all of our shows.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2009, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I don't find em to have the stability I'd like and it doesn't allow me to run the system ultra compact by doing stuff like flying the cymbals off the kick
I did an improvised job with my RT Gig Kit. Since I don't use their snare and only one of the toms, I used one of the fittings to hold the top part of a cymbal stand. I wrapped some silver gaffa tape around the stand section so it would hold snugly. Anything to save on lugging more stuff around ...

Bob, your little RTs looks kinda heroic in front of that backdrop. That shot needs to be backed by Land of Hope and Glory :)
Old 08-20-2009, 05:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
I did an improvised job with my RT Gig Kit. Since I don't use their snare and only one of the toms, I used one of the fittings to hold the top part of a cymbal stand. I wrapped some silver gaffa tape around the stand section so it would hold snugly. Anything to save on lugging more stuff around ...

Bob, your little RTs looks kinda heroic in front of that backdrop. That shot needs to be backed by Land of Hope and Glory :)
Good Idea Polly!
Look at the contraption that I made for my old Gretsch. I also hate floor stands!
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2009, 05:47 AM

Quote:
you and your quadrapedal, tropic of capricorn crazzzeeeeee kick!

May your bassackward coriolis rip its plys apart! ;)

I wonder if that config is avail up here -- Before you brought yours to light, I'd only ever seen the 20" RT kits
I guess the "gig" is the designation for the one you have??

Q : do the spurs have cloven hooves? :D
Old 08-20-2009, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
you and your quadrapedal, tropic of capricorn crazzzeeeeee kick!

May your bassackward coriolis rip its plys apart! ;)

I wonder if that config is avail up here -- Before you brought yours to light, I'd only ever seen the 20" RT kits
I guess the "gig" is the designation for the one you have??

Q : do the spurs have cloven hooves? :D
I've never seen a traveler like Polly's either. The Older travelers that were sold by Pearl USA had a 20" bass and resos on the toms. Unless the kit that I saw had the tom and snare arms mounted to a standard 20" bass drum. Someone may have customized it. I saw it in a music store that had a collection of used drums.
I looked all over the net and on You Tube. She has an interesting kit. The Gig has smaller toms than the US version also.
Here it is. I punched in RT Gig. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IaNw6RPv40 It only shows up on two UK store sites on the net that I can find so far. Also an Asian store sells them.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-20-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Im Interested in learning about the history of the Traveler series kits. Both Euro and US models! What was the introductory year, etc.
Pics of different travelers would be great!
Also past catalogue photos and descriptions would be nice.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM

hmm, interesting question

ours is abt 9 years old and looks abt the same (but the fittings are chrome - that's the only highly visible difference I see)

does anyone from Pearl corporate stop by here?
Pearl has a forum, they could probably fill ya in
Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
hmm, interesting question

ours is abt 9 years old and looks abt the same (but the fittings are chrome - that's the only highly visible difference I see)

does anyone from Pearl corporate stop by here?
Pearl has a forum, they could probably fill ya in
I looked on the Pearl Forum. There are a few pics and posts about the Traveler kits. Pearl doesn't have old catalogues on their site. There isn't much about the history of the Traveler kits on the site. It is interesting how the Traveler Gig is marketed in Europe and Asia, and The Rhythm Traveler is marketed in North America. Two very different kits. Size and hardware are not at all alike.

I read an article from a sound man. He laughed as he was putting mic's on a Traveler kit for a metal show. He was surprised at how the kit sounded when he EQ'd it.
He said that the 20" bass produced a good Metal sound. When I played mine on the Forth of July at an outdoor concert, I noted the look on the sound guys face when he was putting mic's on my kit. It was that "Come on! Your Kidding!" kind of look. He later said that the drums were easy to level out.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-20-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I looked on the Pearl Forum. There are a few pics and posts about the Traveler kits. Pearl doesn't have old catalogues on their site.
did you posts a request ?

maybe one of the mods, etc has that info even though it's not posted - never know til ya ask

sides you are making pretty good advertising* for em!

If you are uncomfortable asking for any reason, I'd be happy to reg and ask or ask customer service for ya

(* hope that didn't come off like you are a shill. I just mean buzz from satisfied customers)

Yeah - It's kinda funky that a soundman would think ill of it -- i mean it seems almost the opposite for that sort of thing -- simpler resonators, easy access to a variety of mic positions, acoustic SPL is not over-the-top
in a lot of ways it seems more like a DREAM for reinforcement - guess those guys just gotta get used to it

Last edited by justjim; 08-20-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
did you posts a request ?

maybe one of the mods, etc has that info even though it's not posted - never know til ya ask

sides you are making pretty good advertising* for em!

If you are uncomfortable asking for any reason, I'd be happy to reg and ask or ask customer service for ya

(* hope that didn't come off like you are a shill. I just mean buzz from satisfied customers)

Yeah - It's kinda funky that a soundman would think ill of it -- i mean it seems almost the opposite for that sort of thing -- simpler resonators, easy access to a variety of positions, acoustic SPL is not over-the-top
in a lot of ways it seems more like a DREAM for reinforcement - guess those guys just gotta get used to it
I was going to become a member of their Forum and post a request later tonight. I've been kinda busy this week, Wife is making me remodel the kitchen! Just taking a few DW breaks here and there when she's not looking! Gotta have my DW breaks!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:51 PM

The honey-do I understand all too well :(

[just finished the backyard fence Tuesday.]

if you get any info, I'd love to hear it too

They are kind of like the Yamaha RD350/400 (motorcycle) of drums kits- fun little goers

The Eruo/gig seems like an cially interesting little beastie

I'll poke around after the weekend
Old 08-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

RT Update; Re; Stock Snare; I installed a REMO coated POWERSTROKE 3 on the batter today.
AHHHHHHH! Much better! Nice crack! Low ring. It's much more playable now! Night and Day difference
I also put a 1"x2" piece of Dynamat along the edge of the head to take out the ring. (Dynamat is a stick on sound dampening product that is used for deadening vibrations in cars when installing speakers) I use this on all of my snare batters.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-25-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

The pedal that comes with the RT really isn't a bad pedal. It has good action, strong spring, light weight, and decent bearings.
The only thing that I didn't like about it was that the beater rested to far from the bass head for my liking. Being that it is a low end pedal there is no setscrew adjustment for moving the beater forward on the axle shaft.
I simply removed the beater from the holder, put it in a vice and I bent the shaft forward about an inch. I then made another bend higher up on the shaft in the other direction so that the beater would contact the head flat on. You can bend it by hand with a moderate amount of force. You can tweak it several times if you have to.
Im liking this pedal now. I have no problems playing it anymore. Simple, No Cost solution. I'll use it now so that I don't have to keep removing my Cobra from my other kit.
I remembered that I did this to my Ludwig Speed King many years ago.
Attached Images

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-26-2009 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:51 PM

I don't recall the RT pedal from 9-10 years ago being so good (but it has been a while), that might be an area where they've made improvements

it's longgg gone, so I can't really comment beyond gin-soaked memory - so grain of salt
Old 08-26-2009, 12:22 AM

BTW - looks like a nice bending job -- not all chewed up or torch rainbowed or wonky or any other that

good on you
Old 08-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
BTW - looks like a nice bending job -- not all chewed up or torch rainbowed or wonky or any other that

good on you
I should have stated that you can bend the beater post by hand. I'll edit the other post. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
you can bend the beater post by hand.
YOU can - I have the wrists of a 12 year old girl ! (really!, OK they aren't really weak, but they are slender...it's the only part of me that can use that term)

have you considered just mounting the beater on a screen-door closer spring?

It'd probably throw the band off time, but 5 will get you 10 you will grin every time you use it
Old 08-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
YOU can - I have the wrists of a 12 year old girl ! (really!, OK they aren't really weak, but they are slender...it's the only part of me that can use that term)

have you considered just mounting the beater on a screen-door closer spring?

It'd probably throw the band off time, but 5 will get you 10 you will grin every time you use it
That would be funny! A beater that goes where it wants to go, when it wants to go there! I remember a child's pull toy that was like that!
As far as your twelve year old girl wrist are concerned, Thats your problem! Actually, My wrists are thin also! My fat middle makes up for the thin rest of me!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

I missed this one.
Great custom job for holding your cymbals, Bob.

Jim, the mini-kick drum doesn't have cloven hooves, just single hooves and a "mouth" that's 6" in diameter - no teeth :)

Yeah, the RT Gig Kit is weird. If not for the lugging I'd prefer a larger kick like the Catalina to the 16", so it's a compromise. Still, the smaller drum is good for the volume we play.

The undoctored RT Gig Kit is a weird beastie, with all these arms sticking out all over the place like Dr Octavo from the Spiderman movie. I'd gotten mixed up between the normal RT specs and the Gig Kit so I was surprised and a bit disappointed to see 8" and 10" toms. So I put them away and just use the 12" since the idea was to add a lower voice to my setup, which had been kind of a "soprano kit" with just a snare, djembe and cymbals.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:28 AM

hey Bob;

ya know one thing that does look like they changed (since the chrome HW - don't know the dates, but that seems a distinguishing factor)

sorry Polly - we are talking "real" (aka avail in 'Murica - the only real country...yeeeee hhhaaaawwww!!!) ones

the spurs - mine don't S-curve, but just flair out a the bottom -- so maybe they stabilized it a bit more than a decade ago
Old 09-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Platinum Member

Here are some vids of me on the Rhythm Traveler at a live outdoor event.
Remember, Its always a Freak Show when The String Band comes to town! HIPPIE POWER!
The PA sys was awful! Be sure to watch the other vids from Larry's Underground Parade and 4th of July Party.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fODq...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnnDL...eature=channel

Last edited by bobdadruma; 09-16-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:40 AM

Yeah someday i will buy one Rhythm Traveler
Old 09-21-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Here are some vids of me on the Rhythm Traveler at a live outdoor event.
Remember, Its always a Freak Show when The String Band comes to town! HIPPIE POWER!
The PA sys was awful! Be sure to watch the other vids from Larry's Underground Parade and 4th of July Party.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fODq...e=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnnDL...eature=channel
Wow, those RT's sound great. Whoever did the micing did a great job!
Old 09-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Looks like the Annual Homeless Alcoholic picnic, and everyone stayed home.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Looks like the Annual Homeless Alcoholic picnic, and everyone stayed home.
Larry is a successful Artist, Glass Blower, and sculptor. He throws this 4th of July party every year. There were over 200 people there. Most of them were scattered about the twenty acres of property on his farm. They camp there every year for a few days.
Several bands play over the weekend. There are venders with food. You can't see the most of the people in the vids.
It's a bit to Hippied-out for me so I just show up an hour before the gig and leave a few hours afterward! It is fun though, and I like the people.
I kid these people all the time and I call them Hippies. I love these folks and they love me. We have a lot of fun picking at each other.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlexpdrummer View Post
Wow, those RT's sound great. Whoever did the micing did a great job!
The PA was crap and there were no monitors on stage! It was hard to hear up there!
We used a cheap Nady bass drum mic, A snare mic that was taped to my hat stand, And one other mic that was taped to my Cymbal/Floor tom stand on the right of the bass drum.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Here is the RT at a live outdoor party un-mic-ed. It was recorded with a small mp3 recorder placed in the crowd.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 MR Charlie.mp3 (6.76 MB, 356 views)
File Type: mp3 Track4.mp3 (6.76 MB, 245 views)
Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 AM
Silver Member

I got a used RT years ago- the original owner had parted out a lot of it. Spurs were gone, hardware gone... and the thing was in pretty bad shape. I cleaned it up a bit, swapped out some heads, and found a few decent uses for it.

Most recently, I use the toms as timbale-type drums and use the bass as a mounted gong drum. I never did put new spurs on the kick, though. Probably should. Instead, though, I've used my Ludwig kick and mounted the short toms super low over the Luddie.

Nifty kit for what it is. Won't work on its own for most of my uses, but the mesh heads are a cool option for practice. I've set the 14" tom up in my living room in front of the TV and used it as a practice pad for (nearly) silent practice.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkerwood View Post
I got a used RT years ago- the original owner had parted out a lot of it. Spurs were gone, hardware gone... and the thing was in pretty bad shape. I cleaned it up a bit, swapped out some heads, and found a few decent uses for it.

Most recently, I use the toms as timbale-type drums and use the bass as a mounted gong drum. I never did put new spurs on the kick, though. Probably should. Instead, though, I've used my Ludwig kick and mounted the short toms super low over the Luddie.

Nifty kit for what it is. Won't work on its own for most of my uses, but the mesh heads are a cool option for practice. I've set the 14" tom up in my living room in front of the TV and used it as a practice pad for (nearly) silent practice.
I also thought of setting the RT toms on a stand and using them as Timbales with my big kit. The snare would be good as a side snare also. I like the idea of the bass as a gong drum! Good ideas!
Old 09-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Big_Philly

I like that snare almost as much as I like Gruntersdad's avatar :)
Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
I like that snare almost as much as I like Gruntersdad's avatar :)
Thanks, It took me some trials to get that little snare with no snare beds and only six lugs to sound like that. It was a challenge!
I wound up using a Remo PS3 and I had to add some dampening to the batter. The drum had a lot of ring and buzz that I had to lose.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Hey Bob, I like your band's happy vibe :)

Here's a sample of the RT Gig Kit's kick drum and 13" mounted tom in action (the rest of my kit is a collection of spare parts):

http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/mp3/b...sep09sando.mp3

It sounds pretty good mic'd up IMO. Our sound guy told me that he's mic'd up RTs in the past and said they really scrub up well. I know I got a pleasant surprise when I heard the difference on the night!
Old 09-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey Bob, I like your band's happy vibe :)

Here's a sample of the RT Gig Kit's kick drum and 13" mounted tom in action (the rest of my kit is a collection of spare parts):

http://www.sangrea.net/rijidij/mp3/b...sep09sando.mp3

It sounds pretty good mic'd up IMO. Our sound guy told me that he's mic'd up RTs in the past and said they really scrub up well. I know I got a pleasant surprise when I heard the difference on the night!
Thanks Polly, I like your new avatar! Those old Dead Heads that I chill with are loaded with good vibes.
I liked your Thrill is gone! Your kit sounded great. Here Is my Thrill with Samantha Goodman on vocals. I have the privilege of working with her from time to time. Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 THRILL.mp3 (2.60 MB, 246 views)
Old 09-27-2009, 05:35 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Has anybody thought of converting a Rhythm Traveller set into an electronic set? Pretty simple if you have a soldering iron and a spare day - and a spare module lying around. These kits are perfect candidates for e-kit conversion - mesh heads and everything.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Has anybody thought of converting a Rhythm Traveller set into an electronic set? Pretty simple if you have a soldering iron and a spare day - and a spare module lying around. These kits are perfect candidates for e-kit conversion - mesh heads and everything.
Go to post #37 in this thread and follow the link.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Go to post #37 in this thread and follow the link.
Ah! Excellent! I thought somebody would've done it by now.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I liked your Thrill is gone! Your kit sounded great. Here Is my Thrill with Samantha Goodman on vocals. I have the privilege of working with her from time to time. Enjoy!
Thanks Bob. That's a sweet version of Thrill. Your restraint and taste were great, soulful vocs, tasty guitar. It sounds like you were playing a different kit.

I found it a bit surreal the way the RTs little drums leapt into life when they were mic'd up. Since I'm looking for the 12" tom to be the baritone voice of the kit, tuning it is like walking on eggshells - just a few mm turn on one tuning rod makes a noticeable difference!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Bob. That's a sweet version of Thrill. Your restraint and taste were great, soulful vocs, tasty guitar. It sounds like you were playing a different kit.

I found it a bit surreal the way the RTs little drums leapt into life when they were mic'd up. Since I'm looking for the 12" tom to be the baritone voice of the kit, tuning it is like walking on eggshells - just a few mm turn on one tuning rod makes a noticeable difference!
It's amazing what mics and EQ can do along with some mixing software. That was a full mic up in a home studio.

Truth Time Polly, That is my vintage Gretsch Kit on that track. I just wanted to see if anyone would call me on it. I couldn't fool you!
Your Smart! Smart! A Smart one you are!
Love Ya! BDD

Last edited by bobdadruma; 10-02-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's amazing what mics and EQ can do along with some mixing software. That was a full mic up in a home studio.

Truth Time Polly, That is my vintage Gretsch Kit on that track. I just wanted to see if anyone would call me on it. I couldn't fool you!
Your Smart! Smart! A Smart one you are!
Love Ya! BDD
LOL ("Laugh Out Loud" in SMS-speak :-P). I was going to give you a darn good spanking for posting your Gretsch on an RT thread but thought I'd tread more carefully. Consider yourself spanked, young man! As I said, though, lovely version of Thrill.

The mounted tom sound gave it away. It had a rich, double-head tone rather than the RT's distinctive bongo-ish(?) sound.

Talking of smart, Bernard freaked me out by listening to Aydee's playing and then asking if he's left-handed (unless he'd seen Aydee's kit posted and was playing a game). How on earth do you hear that someone is a lefty from an MP3??
Old 10-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Bernard freaked me out by listening to Aydee's playing and then asking if he's left-handed (unless he'd seen Aydee's kit posted and was playing a game). How on earth do you hear that someone is a lefty from an MP3??
Aydee's a member of the Lefty's group. It's on his DW page. I strongly suspect Bernhard had the inside track on that one. That said, if you're listening through a good system or phones and you've actually bothered to make sure they're the right way around, you can tell if the stereo image is strong enough.

You're off on that spanking thing again aren't you! Polly, put the kettle on.