DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-28-2009, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

Default Pearl Rhythm Traveler

The Sun came out in Connecticut today for the second time in what seems like two months.
I took a ride to Sam Ash and I bought a Pearl Rhythm Traveler. I brought it home, set it up, tuned it, put some of my favorite cymbals on the stands, and I began to play it.
I LOVE THIS LITTLE KIT! I ditched the not so hot foot pedal and the tin cymbals that came with it and I put my Iron Cobra on the bass drum. The Hi-Hat stand that comes with it is OK. I played it for four hours! The 13" snare sounds great! The toms sound great! The bass drum is OK but I think that it will require a Super Kick II and a mic. I'm going to gig with this kit on the 4th of July!
I had read a post here on DW a few months ago about the Rhythm Traveler and I thought that I would give it a look. I'm glad that I did! It is a great little toy! I recommend it to anyone who wants a light weight inexpensive kit to toss into your car for practices and small gigs.
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pearl Rhythm Traveler

Well it's cute. And practical.

But how does it sound? Would love to hear your opinion on how it tunes. Can the toms get low? What sort of music are you using it for?

Are the toms meant to stack inside each other?
Old 06-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

It sounds great! I couldn't stop playing it. I'm going to use it for Light Rock, Blues, and Contemporary Bluegrass. I have the toms tuned about medium, 75 on the Drum Dial. I didn't try them low.
The toms don't nest inside each other but I can put the bass drum on the back seat of my pick up truck with the toms and the foot pedal attached. I can carry them all together with ease! I have played toms without bottom heads for years. I only added reso heads to the toms on my antique Gretsch kit a few years ago. If you mic the toms, they sound the same as if you had bottom heads. I'll put some sound up on this thread tomorrow. I was surprised at how good the drums sounded. I had tried the Traps kit and I didn't like it. The Traps drums are made of plastic and they are heavy. The bass drum and the toms on the Traps kit sound like crap. The snare on the traps kit is the only drum that sounds good.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Hi
I have been using one for small short paying gigs with little room for the past four years. I'll use my K's, Istanbul ride and a high end snare. Sometimes I's use on overhead mic and/or also add snare and kick mic. The bass and toms can be tuned to fine. Easy to move in and out of the gig. Denis
Old 06-28-2009, 03:26 PM

Wait, they don't nest in each other?
Then what's the point in having no reso heads? Just wondering...

But still, very cool kit, check out my small kit as well.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberto View Post
Wait, they don't nest in each other?
Then what's the point in having no reso heads? Just wondering...

But still, very cool kit, check out my small kit as well.
Thats what I was just thinking? Maybe they didnt put bottoms on because of weight. You think they would of designed it to put the toms in each other? Pearl always did do strange things.....Anyway nice drums bro. I'll have to go check those out!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, I was suprised they wouldn't nest too...

I guess the toms just look like cheap timbales to me, but without actually playing or hearing a set I'm not keen to pass judgement yet.

Still prefer a Nesting Kit!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

I believe that there are no reso heads because of price and weight considerations. The kit only cost $420. Nesting kits that I looked at cost a great deal more. I already own an expensive high end kit and I didn't want to spend a lot of ching on a practice kit. I don't have a lot of cash at the moment. Daughter in collage and bad economy!
If I stack the snare and the 3 toms they take just a slight bit more space than the 16x16 floor tom from my big kit. They stack slightly taller. The bass drum takes half of the space of a conventional bass drum.
The Traveler is an inexpensive alternative to a nesting kit. It is not a Nesting Penguin! If I had the cash I would buy that kit.
The shells are thick wood and they make a good tone. Of course they don't sound as good as a high end kit with resos. I can buy some lugs and rims and add resos if I want to. That wouldn't cost that much.
The kit comes with mesh heads in addition to the stock heads. You could put trigers on the toms and the bass with the mesh heads if you wanted to also.
The Traveler is a good option for a beat around kit. Now I don't have to put wear and tear on my Gretsch to attend a two hour practice or an outdoor gig on a rainy day.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 06-28-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Here is a sound sample. I recorded the kit with a Samson usb mic with flat eq. This is what the kit sounds like in a carpeted room. The kit is adequate sounding for daily playing and small low paying gigs.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Rhythm Traveler sample.mp3 (1.82 MB, 2178 views)

Last edited by bobdadruma; 06-28-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 PM

I love that snare!!!!!
I don't like the sound of the snare so much, I miss the resos

Bram
Old 06-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

One slight problem i thought was a lack of much low end on the "floor" tom. The snare sounded great though.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
One slight problem i thought was a lack of much low end on the "floor" tom. The snare sounded great though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
I love that snare!!!!!
I don't like the sound of the snare so much, I miss the resos

Bram
Shallow drums with no resos will always have a lack of low end. That can't be avoided. If you mic the toms you can EQ the sound to be fuller. When you are practicing with your band at low volumes in a 12x12 foot room, the main thing is for the band to hear the groove and the basic sound of the tom fills to get the idea that they are there. I may add some resos to the toms in the future. Most of the time I play the snare, bass, and cymbals anyway. Fill-Ins are a small part of most of the songs that I play. Especially the contemporary Bluegrass music, I don't do many fills at all with The String Band.
This kit will not replace my big one. It is simply to be used for practice and an occasional small club or private house party gig. I will use them like Cocktail Drums.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:12 PM

I actually just got a rhythym traveler kit for a great deal and it actually impressed me alot. i was mainly gonna use it to practice silentley but it is fun little kit. i was also thinking on taking the wrap off and doing a custom finish. they are fun little drums.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumrod09 View Post
I actually just got a rhythym traveler kit for a great deal and it actually impressed me alot. i was mainly gonna use it to practice silentley but it is fun little kit. i was also thinking on taking the wrap off and doing a custom finish. they are fun little drums.
The idea of customizing the shells occurred to me also. I was thinking of painting them with that new spray paint that bonds to plastic. Krylon makes it. Perhaps a forrest green or a blue.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:37 PM

yea i was thinking on a custom wrap or laquer burst and clearcoat to match my main kit like a miniture practice and portable version. great idea though
Old 06-28-2009, 11:50 PM

Sounds good! I think I might buy one.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

I played my first gig with The Rhythm Traveler yesterday. We put together a pick up band for a backyard party (40 people). I have played with all of these musicians on and off for years. I arrived last, I set my drum rug on the plywood outdoor platform under the big party tent and I pulled the mini bass drum from my truck. They all thought that I was joking! They said things like, "Come On Bob, Stop fooling around and take out your big Gretsch!). "What is that! A Wal-Mart Kit"? I laughed and I said, "Watch and learn" and I continued to pull the Traveler's bits out and set them up.
I plugged in the bass drum mic and set the EQ. We then did a sound check and they were all shocked at how good the kit sounded! It blended perfectly with the Conga Players set up.
They all loved it! The Rhythm Traveler was a big hit. Party guests that are also musicians asked me questions about it. Some of them played it and liked it. It became a conversation piece. There was a fun time had by all!
At the end of the eve when I was tired I packed up the light little kit, helped the others with the PA, and I was on my way home in no time.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:01 PM
TFITTING942

Hey Bob,
How quiet are the mesh heads that kit comes with? I was looking at that kit for practice as well as for its mobility.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Man I have this kit as well and its so fun to play.... because the drums are so smalls there's more room for configurations like lowering the toms and etc. I think the reason why he isn't getting as much low end is because i think the heads that come with it are single-ply... get some coated G2's on there and it should sound good because the coating will give it the warmth while the double-ply will give it its body and power. Yeah this is also my "mini" gig kit and its fun to experiment with it so I don't have to experiment on my Starclassics. I always wanted to do a custom finish to make it look more interesting than black because I use this kit to gig a lot because my dad brings his bass, mixer, and speakers so I can't fit the starclassic. I recommend a superkick I because it gives enough bass but because its a thin head it will project a lot better
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't tried the mesh heads yet. I have only had the kit for a week and I am lovin it with the stock heads. The mesh heads look similar to the heads that are on an electro kit. I can't tell if they are metal or a synthetic fiber material. They resemble a fine bug screen for a household window. If you tap on a screen from a small window in your house I'm sure that they will sound like that. They are called Pearl Muffle Heads. Perhaps there is a sound sample of them on the Pearl website or somewhere like that.
I played a large festival with the Rhythm Traveller yesterday. They were a big hit with The String Band also. (see link below) They were fully mic'd with a sound tech in charge in front of an audience of about three hundred. They sounded great. I'll post video when I get access to it.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Hi Bobdadruma
By the way I palced Evan Hydraulic heads on the toms and a large towel in the bass drum. Denis
Old 07-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisri View Post
Hi Bobdadruma
By the way I palced Evan Hydraulic heads on the toms and a large towel in the bass drum. Denis
I put a small hand towel in the bass drum to give it just a bit of a deeper tone. I folded it in thirds and I let it touch the bottom of both heads. I haven't tried a Super Kick on the bass drum yet. I'm going to do that in the near future. I was also thinking of trying Hydraulic heads. Do you have a sound sample of them on the kit?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Silver Member

Hi
Sorry, I don't have a sound sample. I found the hydraulic heads gave some depth to the tone on the toms. Denis
Old 07-06-2009, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi
Sorry, I don't have a sound sample. I found the hydraulic heads gave some depth to the tone on the toms. Denis
I played my big Gretsch kit for years without bottom heads on the rack toms. I used Evans Hydraulic heads on the Gretsch rack toms. I added the reso heads to my Gretsch kit a few years ago. Thats when I stopped using them. They were deep sounding and I liked them. I may use them again on The Rhythm Traveler. The sound of the Traveler's toms is good to me. They are sort of like wooden timbales with a pretty good tone. The oil heads may bring a bit more from them. I'll wait until I hear the festivals video recording before I make my decision.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-06-2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:47 AM

I tried the rhythm traveler at my school and it sounded god awful. I don't know how you got yours to sound good. My music teacher said she tunes them often and I even tried tuning the bass and it just resonates for HOURS and connstantly slides forward
Old 07-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbon '67 View Post
I tried the rhythm traveler at my school and it sounded god awful. I don't know how you got yours to sound good. My music teacher said she tunes them often and I even tried tuning the bass and it just resonates for HOURS and connstantly slides forward
I made some improvements to the Traveler!
I added a 3 1/2 inch porthole and a mic to the bass reso. (See the link to my thread about bass mic stands) http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...d.php?t=52190I I added an Aquarian SK I for the bass batter. The bass no longer rings! I even added my initials to the bass reso with some silver stick on letters that I bought in the Walmart automotive dept.
I added two thin light weight cymbal stands for crashes and a clamp stand for a splash.
I tune the toms and and the bass to about 75 on the drum dial and fine tune by ear.
I tune the snare batter and reso to about 85 on the drum dial and also fine tune by ear.
See pics below.
I play this kit almost every eve when I get home from work and also at band practices. It continues to be an asset for low volume play!
I bought a 60 X 30 inch black rug with a rubber backing at Walmart for about $18. The bass drum doesn't slide for me.
Budget so far; $420 for kit, $80 for 3 cymbal stands, $18 for black rug. $30 for SK I head.

Im still lovin this little kit!!! It's been about a month now since I purchased it.

I almost forgot, I bought a LP cowbell and a bass rim mount holder for it for about $50. Gotta have more Cowbell!!!

The price of not having to lug my heavy Gretsch around and put wear and tear on it and myself, PRICELESS!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-30-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 AM
Silver Member

Hi
Nice job. By the way I use this kit with one rack tom and one floor tom. I removed the small tom. Denis
Old 07-30-2009, 03:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi
Nice job. By the way I use this kit with one rack tom and one floor tom. I removed the small tom. Denis
Thanks Denis! I've seen folks on You Tube doing that. One of them may have been you. I like the small tom! It has balls for a little guy! Im gonna keep it. It's the "Little Tom That Could!" Its my favorite part of the kit!
Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Administrator

Love the portability and the bass and toms sound great but the snare sounds as if the snares are too tight and choking.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Love the portability and the bass and toms sound great but the snare sounds as if the snares are too tight and choking.
You are correct Grunt. I loosened the snares since I recorded the sample. Im gonna try some Remo heads on the snare next. I'll post audio samples when I do. This has been a low budget challenge and Im still experimenting.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:16 AM
Administrator

Cool. According to the website....Tom sizes are 10", 12", and 14" in diameter; and their 5" deep, single-headed design allows them to neatly stack for compact travel while producing a great tone for live performance. Rhythm Traveler's wood-shell snare drum is 13" x 5" and produces a very warm, full-bodied snare tone with excellent crack.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:25 AM
Silver Member

Hi
I could never get the snare to sound good so I use one of my high end snare drums with the kit. Denis
Old 07-31-2009, 03:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi
I could never get the snare to sound good so I use one of my high end snare drums with the kit. Denis
The snare has some limitations. It sounds good at low volume but I can't get a killer crack from it at high levels. The rim shots come out good!
It's a warm jazzy sounding snare that doesn't have the ability to bite hard when I want it to.
I don't expect that 13 X 5 with only 6 lugs is a recipe that could kick any butt.
I don't dislike the snare and I enjoy practicing with it because of it low volume abilities. It is also responsive and sensitive.
Perhaps I will get something similar to the make up of the Pork Pie Li'll Squealer.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 07-31-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
Hey Bob,
How quiet are the mesh heads that kit comes with? I was looking at that kit for practice as well as for its mobility.
very quiet they are more quiet than practice pads or pillows or anything... and in response to those who can't get a good sound out f their bass drum, try using an evans emad hea (its what i have and it works great!
Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 AM

Wouldn't it be cool to trigger the whole kit and turn it into a acoustic looking electric kit? Just a thought, it would in the end be cheaper wouldn't it?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delwrick View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to trigger the whole kit and turn it into a acoustic looking electric kit? Just a thought, it would in the end be cheaper wouldn't it?
I was in a drum forum recently on another site that was dedicated to electro kits and many drummers have done some great conversions to Traveler kits. I think that they look better than electronic drums.
Here is the link. http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51279

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-19-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delwrick View Post
It was a pretty common hack a few years ago (I suppose the e-kits have caught up a bit)

- the wife got hers in that config with the "ratshack buzzer" homebrew triggers back when the HW was still chrome
We've since converted it back to acoustic, but left the triggers as an option (you can rotate them out of the way if you think they dampen things too much, it just dependsso hers has little 1/4" jacks for the triggers

works quite well - one trick we found - well the wife doesn't really dig purely electronic drums - but we did find that the triggers acted as transducers so we could mix n some acoustic (attack) "thud" even from the mesh heads which helped a bit
though it took me some extra electronics work

[edit : whoops sorry for the cross-post]
Old 08-19-2009, 06:11 PM

you can't fully nest em (and it's not by much, the hoops just barely don't fit - so even if you move to rim mounting you are just shy of fully nesting)
but you can turn two of them bottom to bottom and get em to receive one another
If you run the kick as a single head, like in an e-drum situation, or if you just like that sound) then you've got some more options

I kind of wish they would
1) just off it as a shell pack
2) rework the kick spurs
3) fully "russian doll" nesting would be cool, but that would probably require a bit of work like non-standard HW or more staggered sizes like 10-13-16
Old 08-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
you can't fully nest em (and it's not by much, the hoops just barely don't fit - so even if you move to rim mounting you are just shy of fully nesting)
but you can turn two of them bottom to bottom and get em to receive one another
If you run the kick as a single head, like in an e-drum situation, or if you just like that sound) then you've got some more options

I kind of wish they would
1) just off it as a shell pack
2) rework the kick spurs
3) fully "russian doll" nesting would be cool, but that would probably require a bit of work like non-standard HW or more staggered sizes like 10-13-16
What don't you like about the kick spurs? I think that they are really functional and cool looking. They are easy to set up also.
I hear ya on the nesting issue. Pearl was designing the kit as a low price product. It is obvious that they decided that a luxury like Russian Doll nesting would put the price over the edge. I'm sure that they would have done it had it been feasible for a low cost.
I'm sure that they never even thought about selling it as a shell pack. There would be only a small number of people interested in the shells. They were going for inexpensive mass marketing.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
What don't you like about the kick spurs? I think that they are really functional and cool looking. They are easy to set up also.
I don't find em to have the stability I'd like
and it doesn't allow me to run the system ultra compact by doing stuff like flying the cymbals off the kick

I hear ya on the nesting issue. Pearl was designing the kit as a low price product. It is obvious that they decided that a luxury like Russian Doll nesting would put the price over the edge.

yeah, I mean you've got a couple of choices
1) stagger the sizes by 3" which could make for one funkeeeee kit
2) use non-standard HW (which I wouldn't want even regardless of cost b/c of the "traveler" nature
3) possibly machine the shells in what is basically a spline pattern to accept the other drums or something strange like that
and I'm really not sure how much space you are going to save if unless you run the kick double headed

I'm sure that they never even thought about selling it as a shell pack. There would be only a small number of people interested in the shells. They were going for inexpensive mass marketing.

yeah, I doubt that they ever considered it, but

I'm just not sure if the number of interested peeps would be insignificant.
While purely anecdotal, it could speak to a blip that Pearl is underserving - when I run into RT players, they have, shockingly often, been more like yourself, experienced drummers who like it as a low hassle, low worry "basher" kit -- and they throw away the cymbals and "moving HW"

It could be that the profitability winds up being a step function and the sweet spot falls on the "whole kit" pricing