DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
dougaha18's Avatar
dougaha18 dougaha18 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17
Default Improving Pedal Performance

I have a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. double pedal that I bought a couple years ago. Recently it jus it just doesn't play and react like it used to. It moves really slow. I replaced the springs but that didn't do much good for it. I don't really have enough money to buy a new pedal so is there somthing I can do to improve its performance?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 PM
ace76543 ace76543 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 162
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

grease the gears. not with wd40. use light to medium grade motor oil, i hear it works well
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougaha18 View Post
I have a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. double pedal that I bought a couple years ago. Recently it jus it just doesn't play and react like it used to. It moves really slow. I replaced the springs but that didn't do much good for it. I don't really have enough money to buy a new pedal so is there somthing I can do to improve its performance?

Thank you
Have you ever cleaned it and oiled it? Taking apart a pedal is relatively simple. Springs will last a very long time so that is usually not the problem.

Squirt some solvent or WD-40 into a small cup not used for eating and soak the bearings in the cup. Dip a Q-tip in the solvent and wipe out bearing housings and other parts on the pedal. Look for any other moving parts and clean those too. Clean it all up with a rag and put sewing machine oil or even clean motor oil on the moving parts and wipe clean. Use WD-40 only for cleaning, not lubricating, as it will dry and carry away all your oil. Good as new!
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 PM
dougaha18's Avatar
dougaha18 dougaha18 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

ok thank you i will have to try this
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,712
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougaha18 View Post
I have a Tama Iron Cobra Jr. double pedal that I bought a couple years ago. Recently it jus it just doesn't play and react like it used to. It moves really slow. I replaced the springs but that didn't do much good for it. I don't really have enough money to buy a new pedal so is there somthing I can do to improve its performance?

Thank you
If you're going to remove the bearings, might as well replace them with Ninja Bearings or an even higher performance ceramic bearing.

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?..._detail&p=6849

http://www.skatelog.com/bearings/ceramic.htm

I'm surprised some IC, Power Shifter, whatever user hasn't done this mod yet, its fairly simple. If not skate, they can be found to size.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 12,799
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

Perhaps adjustment screws loosened and the action changed? Short of breaking it, I really don't think you can wear a pedal out.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-24-2009, 01:26 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
If you're going to remove the bearings, might as well replace them with Ninja Bearings or an even higher performance ceramic bearing.

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?..._detail&p=6849

http://www.skatelog.com/bearings/ceramic.htm

I'm surprised some IC, Power Shifter, whatever user hasn't done this mod yet, its fairly simple. If not skate, they can be found to size.
What is the cost/benefit on those? Certainly, these are high-performance bearings, but would it make a difference? In terms of bearings, a bass drum foot pedal is not a particularly high-performance application.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-24-2009, 04:25 AM
Fiery's Avatar
Fiery Fiery is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Serbia
Posts: 705
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

High precision bearings (ABEC rated) are in general overkill for anything not rotating at 10000+ rpm. However, it seems that high-grate, high-speed skate bearings are made with ease of rotation in mind, not just the precision, using special oil instead of grease and so on. This would make them a good choice for pedals too.
Pearl Demon Drive pedals actually come with Ninja bearings.

So, buying just any high-performance bearings wouldn't really make a difference, but buying high-end skate bearings specifically made to provide less resistance at lower rpm could make an old pedal work a lot better, especially if the old bearings are in a very poor contidion. But if one doesn't feel like dishing out the money for high-end bearings, a thorough cleaning and re-lubrication should make quite a difference too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-24-2009, 05:44 AM
dougaha18's Avatar
dougaha18 dougaha18 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
If you're going to remove the bearings, might as well replace them with Ninja Bearings or an even higher performance ceramic bearing.

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?..._detail&p=6849

http://www.skatelog.com/bearings/ceramic.htm

I'm surprised some IC, Power Shifter, whatever user hasn't done this mod yet, its fairly simple. If not skate, they can be found to size.
ok thats cool i have some of those
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-24-2009, 05:46 AM
dougaha18's Avatar
dougaha18 dougaha18 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

ok well im gonna try cleaning my bearings and see where im at. I will post a reply soon.

thanks everyone
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,712
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
What is the cost/benefit on those? Certainly, these are high-performance bearings, but would it make a difference? In terms of bearings, a bass drum foot pedal is not a particularly high-performance application.
Clean bearings make a difference, high performance bearings will make a noticeable difference also, just ask Pearl-Demon Drive. Pearl touts Ninja Bearings as a major selling point for that pedal.

Drum pedals would benefit from any high performance part upgrade. Do you need high performance bearings? Maybe not, but given a choice, you'd probably want them once you felt the difference.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 AM
dougaha18's Avatar
dougaha18 dougaha18 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17
Default Re: Improving Pedal Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Clean bearings make a difference, high performance bearings will make a noticeable difference also, just ask Pearl-Demon Drive. Pearl touts Ninja Bearings as a major selling point for that pedal.

Drum pedals would benefit from any high performance part upgrade. Do you need high performance bearings? Maybe not, but given a choice, you'd probably want them once you felt the difference.
so i wont be wasting any money because i have a set of high performance bearings so i'll check them out and post a reply.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com