DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

Default Tom heads : Evans G2 or Aquarian Super-2?

Hi there, going to start doing some recording here as soon as I get my heads replaced, God willing.

I play alternative rock, I do a jazz/fusion/hard rock style (think Jimmy Chamberlin or Matt Cameron) and I have a 12, 13, and 16 tom set up. I have a Yamaha kit with Philippine Mahogany shells (6-ply I think), and I'm looking for a tone that has focused and defined attack, punchy, warm mids, and a tight low end.

looking at the Evans G2 coated set or the Aquarian Super-2 with Power Dot or Studio-X rings.

I have Aquarians on now (Response 2 Clear's), they sound nice, but they need to be changed.

Will the coated heads give me more of a dry tone, whereas the clears will give me more of a wet sound?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Tom heads : Evans G2 or Aquarian Super-2?

I have been experimenting with heads as well & have never really found a head that is easier to tune & sounds as good as the Aquarian clear Studio-X. I tuned them to just above wrinkle & all the toms sound super right off the bat. This is a single ply head with a muffling ring, compared to the Super-2 which is 2-ply. I know this is not a direct answer to your questions, just throwing it out there.

I play a Gretsch maple kit, so I can only speak to the success I've had with my kit.

Plus, if it matters, they look pretty cool.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:14 PM
fusssion

Default Re: Tom heads : Evans G2 or Aquarian Super-2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMySavior View Post
Hi there, going to start doing some recording here as soon as I get my heads replaced, God willing.

I play alternative rock, I do a jazz/fusion/hard rock style (think Jimmy Chamberlin or Matt Cameron) and I have a 12, 13, and 16 tom set up. I have a Yamaha kit with Philippine Mahogany shells (6-ply I think), and I'm looking for a tone that has focused and defined attack, punchy, warm mids, and a tight low end.

looking at the Evans G2 coated set or the Aquarian Super-2 with Power Dot or Studio-X rings.
Why not just the coated Super 2? That's what I use,...very good head, warm, easy to tune, and sound killer with an Aquarian Classic Clear for a reso!!!

Quote:
Will the coated heads give me more of a dry tone, whereas the clears will give me more of a wet sound?
No, not really, the coated will 'warm it up' a bit .....some think it dries it up a bit, I prefer the word 'warm'. The clears have more 'attack' in general, coateds are warmer.