DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-29-2007, 03:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Tom Rainey

I have two Cds with tom on them, one from Brad Shepik and another from Tim Berne, and I love the way this guy plays. But also, I really like the way he tunes his drums. Its really unique and raw and I really dig that about his playing. ANyone else check him out?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Tom Rainey

Yes, I live near NYC and m\have caught him a few times. He is one of the most amazingly acomplished drummer /musicians out there. I am 41 and am guess what you could say an advanced player but when I saw him with Tim Berne, there were times that I didn't know what the hell he was playing.. Tom is one of the unrecognized giants. The guy can play anything technically and more importantly musically. You can't say that about the Thomas Langs and the rest of these super heavy weight drum clinicians that are out there..You tube search for him. There are some duos with him and Tim on there that are smoking!
Old 06-20-2009, 11:28 AM

Tom really blows me away. I saw him here in a really intimate trio gig with British tenor player Julian Arguelles and bassist Michael Formanek. His development of such a unique voice is an accomplishment that deserves wider recognition in itself, I think. A true master.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Man, I just checked him out after Eric talked about him in the feel/technique thread.

I dont feel like playing any more for a while...
Old 06-24-2009, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Man, I just checked him out after Eric talked about him in the feel/technique thread.

I dont feel like playing any more for a while...

Who's "Eric"? I know an "EriK" around here who thinks Tom is amazing. Seen him play with Berne a bunch and also live with the GREAT Joe Maneri (Randy Peterson is on drums on Maneri's albums - pleasantly surprised when I say Rainey walk through the door) and he's especially great in the Fred Hersch Trio albums and I have two great discs with him, Nels Cline and Andrea Parkins: "Downpour" and "Ash and Tabula: Out Trios Vol 3"

The guy is a monster.