DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Kick Drum doesn't quite cut through

Yeah I agree with the general consensus of the responses here. It's always the same. So many uneducated players stuff their drums full of blankets and pillows because it's the sound that they like from the driver's seat. It just sounds so much better with a wide open sound - it's what can project out towards the audience and rest of the band. Many people will also say a PS3 with a small towel rolled up between the pedal and head, that's cool. Even better is a felt strip - That works a treat. POWERSTROKE 3 FTW!

Also: same for the toms too! Leave them undamped if you're not miking up for christ's sake. If the drums aren't being miked, I would stay away from Pinstripes, etc. Ambassadors and Emperors will work fine.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Christ-Hammer

Anyone who says that they don't understand people who put pillows in their bass drums with these new muffled heads most likely don't play double kick is my best guess. If you are a double kick player it really makes a difference in feel when you have a pillow. It feels like you have much more control over the rebound and each note sounds much more defined...
Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ-Hammer View Post
Anyone who says that they don't understand people who put pillows in their bass drums with these new muffled heads most likely don't play double kick is my best guess. If you are a double kick player it really makes a difference in feel when you have a pillow. It feels like you have much more control over the rebound and each note sounds much more defined...

What you say is very true. I get alot of rebound out of my 22" DW with the EMAD 2 and stock resonant with nothing inside of it (which is the way I like it) versus the 22" DW I play at church with an Aquarian Super Kick II and the stock DW dog bone pillow in it.

Both drums sound fantastic, but, to me, the one with the pillow in it seems quite a bit slower to rebound than mine.

I'm sure it has something to do with my 15 year old DW 5000 pedal vs. his Pearl Eliminators, but the feel is very different.

I can't pull doubles out of it like I can mine.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Christ-Hammer

Hmmm odd I thought with the pillow it made rebound quicker because of the increase of tension on the head and the shorter push of air. I have played on a couple of school kits with pillows in them as well, but they had a slower feel than mine so maybe it is the pedal..... Actually I am pretty sure that it is the pedal because I used my double pedal on one of the kits and my speed noticeably increased.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:00 AM
Silver Member

Any dampening will always reduce the rebound.
The thing is that with playing really fast with a double pedal, there will be too much movement from the head, it won't have enough time to return to the original position, so the feel under foot will be very inconsistent. And, of course, an undampened head won't have enough definition and clarity for very fast beats.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Christ-Hammer

Makes sense, I have always just felt that I am able to play faster bass patterns with the pillow in, but I guess I was just fooling myself.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:11 PM

no, it's true. When you're playing double bass with an unmuffled kick, you're always fighting for control with all the excess vibrations, therefore you're not able to relax and get consistent speed or fluidity. Speed and smoothness comes from control. Since I've put a pillow back in my bass drum, I can actually hear the kick better live than before, just due to more definition and attack, plus an unmuffled clear single ply head. That, and the sound guy will certainly turn you up way more in the mix, since you're not blowing the sound system with all that boom.