DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-18-2009, 07:17 PM

Default Do you play with butt-end of a stick?

First I started playing normal with 5B's, then 5A's, then 5B's again. Then 5B's with butt end. And then I got Vic Firth rock model and played a bit normal but switched to butt end. Then I got me Promark 2S and played with butt end only. And now I got me Vic Firth Ralph Hardimon and I play with butt ends only. A natural progression I would say. Although it's maybe too extreme hehe

Do you play with butt ends? What's your opinion of that? I personally like the way everything sounds and the feel is better than when I'm holding a stick a "normal" way.

Last edited by DangerousDave; 11-05-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Do you play with butt-end of a stick?

The taper exists to store and release energy and produce more bounce and response than a straight stick, making it easier to play (is that cheating?)

Sometimes I play with timbale sticks, which have no taper, but I don't usually like to play with the butt end because I sometimes get splinters in my hand. I guess I could just play butt-end on some sticks, but then why not get double-butted sticks or timbale sticks?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
The taper exists to store and release energy and produce more bounce and response than a straight stick, making it easier to play...
That's definitely true, but there's something about the blunt force feel of a butt-end and not having that bounce. I think it's easier in some ways to maintain a more even dynamic.

When I was young and couldn't afford to replace sticks when the tips broke off, I played the butt-ends and got used to it to the point of preferring it. I like the way a stick feels with the weight out at the other end.

Now I go back and forth: 5Bs played for playing properly and 7As for playing backwards. Usually I cut the tips off so they don't dig into my hand - ouch. The only sticky point (pun intended) is the ride cymbal; you have to watch out there because they can get away from you in a hurry.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

...I have been using a Pro Mark rock knocker in my left hand, with a 737 wood tip in my right for the last ten years or so.

I started using the knocker because I was playing a lot of rim clicks at that time, and was too lazy to switch back and forth between the butt and the tip of my regular stick. I also thought that the slight imbalance and weight between the two might help me to develop a little more strength and coordination in my weaker hand.

wheather it did/does, or not, I can't honestly say. I do know that playing a matched pair of sticks feels kind-o-awkward to me now.

I like the idea of using timbale sticks, as I bet they would work well for the lower volume stuff that I normally play. (thanks for the idea DMC.)

Barry
Old 06-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I play the butt end on the snare for a bit more 'whack'. But my left hand became so used to that feel, I now play that way even when when playing quietly. The good news is, the stick is always ready when I need to do a cross-stick!

Bermuda
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
That's definitely true, but there's something about the blunt force feel of a butt-end and not having that bounce. I think it's easier in some ways to maintain a more even dynamic.

When I was young and couldn't afford to replace sticks when the tips broke off, I played the butt-ends and got used to it to the point of preferring it. I like the way a stick feels with the weight out at the other end.

Now I go back and forth: 5Bs played for playing properly and 7As for playing backwards. Usually I cut the tips off so they don't dig into my hand - ouch. The only sticky point (pun intended) is the ride cymbal; you have to watch out there because they can get away from you in a hurry.
Yeah, I can see that a butt-end might give you more control, that makes sense. Timbale players to a lot of intricate playing and they only have straight sticks. You also get a lot more volume from a straight stick. Maybe a light but straight stick gives a good compromise between feel, articulation, control and volume. More people should probably try it.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:46 PM

I always use the butt end in my left hand on harder, driving songs, but hold it more traditionally on slower songs or those that requires more bounce/feel. I'm always changing it up, but never stray from a 5B; Vater being my current favorite...
Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Gold Member

I use both ends of the sticks, when there is a really hard part, I switch and use the butt end, but it doesn't feel right to me...the way it is thinner, I feel there is less control for rebound, etc. I do use it from time to time, though.

Are you using Hardimon's on DRUM SET? Those are marching sticks. If you are really slamming those down on a kit, especially butt-end, I would be shocked if you aren't going to end up breaking your rims, etc.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...I have been using a Pro Mark rock knocker in my left hand, with a 737 wood tip in my right for the last ten years or so.
Ah yes, the Rock Knockers! I must have gone through hundreds of these in my younger days. Great sticks for rock. Glad to hear they're still around.

These days I play with the tips, but I'm not set up in front of a wall of Marshall stacks any more.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Hi
Left hand on snare when stronger fuller backbeat is needed. Denis
Old 10-13-2009, 09:09 PM

I had no money to replace my 2S' so I had to play with what I got at the time. 5B are just too short in any way I play with them. Then I got 2B and they feel better, but are too short. I can't play with butt-ends with 2B. Hopefully my "dear" music shop got a shipment of those nasty 2S so I could get them as soon as I can.
My hands got used to them and nothing else.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:12 PM

Usually only doing rim-clicks will I play with the stick backwards, it makes the clicks sound so much better. If I ever do play with the stick backwards though, I sometimes get the feeling like hitting a baseball with the wrong end of a bat and the horrible vibrations it causes.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
The taper exists to store and release energy and produce more bounce and response than a straight stick, making it easier to play (is that cheating?)
Yes, especially if you're playing a close-mic'd kick drum with a Dualist.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 PM

I only use left and right butt on the toms when I want a stronger sound. I use the left hand butt and right hand tip on the toms when I want a different sound.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Yes, especially if you're playing a close-mic'd kick drum with a Dualist.
are we really going here :-P?

OT: I only play butt end when I've just switched from rimclick to snare again for a few measures and then I usually flip the stick back to normal again, unless the song needs a rimclick very soon again..
Old 10-28-2009, 11:35 PM

Do you use kevlar heads as well? You know, to go with your Hardimons? :)

As far as playing the butts of sticks. I don't particularly like the feel. It usually feels like I'm putting my drums and cymbals through some unnecessary abuse when I do. I can play plenty loud enough holding the sticks the traditional way.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:06 PM

I don't really play with the butt-end of a stick because most of the time the top-end is almost torn apart so it would'nt be comfortable to play with.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Do you use kevlar heads as well? You know, to go with your Hardimons? :)
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha nope :D
Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDrums View Post
I don't really play with the butt-end of a stick because most of the time the top-end is almost torn apart so it would'nt be comfortable to play with.
Happened to me also before I completely switched to playing with a butt-end.

BTW my dear music shop doesn't have any 2S sticks so I had to get 2B. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr some heads are gonna fall. (At least in my imagination :D)
Old 11-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

Never, I hate the sound and I hate the feel of stick neck and shoulder in my hands.
I also never felt the need to flip the stick for rim-clicks. I always seem to get a satisfying sound with the stick held the normal way.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousDave View Post
Do you play with butt ends? What's your opinion of that? I personally like the way everything sounds and the feel is better than when I'm holding a stick a "normal" way.
For me, it depends on the stick. If I'm using a 5B or larger, I'll hold both sticks the "normal " way, but if I'm using a smaller stick (like the Vic Firth SD4), it feels natural to hold the left stick backwards
Old 11-07-2009, 06:33 PM

I use a traditional grip using Vic Firth 7A's, but sometimes I flip my left stick over to play with the butt end for descending tom fills...Then I usually flip back right away. It feels completely unnatural for me to play a snare using matched grip
Old 11-10-2009, 10:05 PM

i dont really use it for anything other than rim clicks. it gives a nice deeper click