DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 06-11-2009, 10:09 PM

Default Double Pedal Upgrade

First of all, Sorry if this is a thread that is commonly made.

I have an iron cobra jr. double bass pedal and I have had it for a couple years and I really hate it. I would like to upgrade but I am not sure what type of pedal is the best for the money. I have a solar crash, solar hats, a solar ride, a zildjian zxt splash, and my old double pedal that I am willing to take to Guitar Center to soften the blow. Also, there is some sort of deal where you get 15% off when you make a trade-in. I am thinking I should be able to get a good deal on a pedal there, I just need some double pedal wisdom from you guys. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Double Pedal Upgrade

Well there's a few options:

1. If you really, really need to upgrade your pedal, then look at the real Iron Cobras, Pearl Eliminators, DW 5000s, and Yamaha Flying Dragons (although they're not called flying dragons anymore)

2. Hold off on the pedal and put your money to a little bit more important aspect, which would be upgrading those Solar cymbals, because I think anyone on the forum will tell you, cymbals usually come first, I'd say this would be ideal.

I think that when you're prioritizing in terms of what drum equipment to buy to upgrade, the list should go like this:

Heads
Cymbals
Pedals/Throne
Snare (upgrade)
Add-on bass drums and toms
Misc. Percussion (Octobans, Rototoms, etc.)
Old 06-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Unless the pedal is falling apart, buy a hi-hat/crash/ride cymbal pack. I used to play with the complete Solar set, what pieces of junk.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 PM

Thanks guys but I have already bought these replacements:
-20" A Custom Projection Ride (Zildjian)
-19" Vault Crash (Sabian)
-14" A New Beat Hi Hats (Zildjian)

Those are great replacements for the solars. I only mentioned them to show that I would have some credit at GC (I haven't gotten rid of them yet). I just want to know what a good pedal would be. I have around $1200 to spend on drum equipment but I want most to go to other things like someone already said. Thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Well the good news is you have a G.C near you so you can go try out all the pedals. They do have a trade up promotion where you bring in your used gear, trade it in for better and get 15% off.

DW5000, Pearl Elims, Yamaha, Axis, all are great pedals just a matter of which one will feel best to you. I play the 9000's and they are buttery smooth. Tried out some newer yamaha's (the double chain drive) and I was really impressed with them.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andSometimesY View Post
Thanks guys but I have already bought these replacements:
-20" A Custom Projection Ride (Zildjian)
-19" Vault Crash (Sabian)
-14" A New Beat Hi Hats (Zildjian)

Those are great replacements for the solars. I only mentioned them to show that I would have some credit at GC (I haven't gotten rid of them yet). I just want to know what a good pedal would be. I have around $1200 to spend on drum equipment but I want most to go to other things like someone already said. Thanks

OOHHHH! Okay, those are great cymbals :) I think, with $1200, you should purchase:

18" Vault Crash (always great to have two)
Iron Cobra double pedal
Roc 'n Soc throne

I don't think you're going to get much credit for the solars and zxt, but it's worth a shot! in any case, you can't go wrong with Iron Cobras and Roc 'n Soc, and that second crash opens up a world of opportunity. I'd say those and new heads should be at the top of the list of stuff to purchase
Old 06-13-2009, 08:51 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try out some pedals I guess. I hope the real deal iron cobra is a lot better than the jr. And jon, those were just the replacements. I also have a 17" Zildjian A custom crash and a 10" A Custom splash in addition to those I mentioned. I do have room for a third crash, however, and I might look in to that. I do need a new throne, and I probably should have cases for my starclassics, so my money will find its way somewhere. Thanks guys.

EDIT: I also have a 12" (i think) Wuhan China, I should probably replace that one too
Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 AM

UPDATE: I went with the DW5000 double pedal. After the trade-in and the 15% off, it ran me about $200. It seems to be working good, but it came with a lot of parts that I don't recognize, and no instruction manual. The guy at GC was trying to get me to buy the demon drive pedal, but it was $650, and probably not worth it.