DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 PM

Default Trick Dominator?

im thinking of getting some Dominators because they are cheaper (if i could get the Pro 1-v i would)

does anyone have a pair? how are they?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Trick Dominator?

The action is pretty much the same as the Pro1-v, but they're a longboard, so you have to like that feel before diving in. I tried the Dominator and swapped it for the Pro1-v, which has spoiled me for life.

Bermuda
Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The action is pretty much the same as the Pro1-v, but they're a longboard, so you have to like that feel before diving in. I tried the Dominator and swapped it for the Pro1-v, which has spoiled me for life.

Bermuda
in a good or bad way?

and are the dominators good pedals in their own right?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 PM

Got a dominator thread going already.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ight=dominator

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:44 AM

that thread doesnt answer my question, thats whay i started this one.

i know the bigfoot is amazing, but i cant get it, $760.

thats why im asking about the dominator, and the dominator SPECIFICALLY, people just say "its cool but the pro is so much better."
Old 06-11-2009, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comic amusement View Post
in a good or bad way?

and are the dominators good pedals in their own right?
Yes, but only if you like the bigfoot feel. It's not good or bad, people just have preferences. The basic inherent difference is that the bigfoot is a bit less responsive than the shorter standard foot board. That means you have to work the bigfoot a little more to get speed.

Bermuda
Old 06-11-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Yes, but only if you like the bigfoot feel. It's not good or bad, people just have preferences. The basic inherent difference is that the bigfoot is a bit less responsive than the shorter standard foot board. That means you have to work the bigfoot a little more to get speed.

Bermuda
*how much work are we talking here? can the pedal do 32nd notes at 90 BPM no problem? or do you have to struggle to even do that?

*how much less responsive?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:09 AM

I have to disagree. They are not less responsive. They just have a longer design for those that prefer a longer board. You can adjust the throw distance for speed.

It's apples to oranges but I have an Iron Cobra double and my Trick Pro 1-V is WAY faster.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swol335i View Post
They just have a longer design for those that prefer a longer board.
And that longer board results in a different action, feel, and response than the standard footboard length on the Pro 1-v. I've used both at length, and the Dominator/longboard is not as responsive, starting noticeably with 16ths at even a moderate speed.

It's not a bad pedal, but the user has to like the feel of a longboard, because that's the only way it comes. I honestly didn't know it was a longboard at first, and I felt the pedal was a bit sluggish compared to the Pro 1-v (which I've been playing for over 2 years.) Once I measured the footboard, I realized why I had been fighting it.

Bermuda
Old 06-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
And that longer board results in a different action, feel, and response than the standard footboard length on the Pro 1-v. I've used both at length, and the Dominator/longboard is not as responsive, starting noticeably with 16ths at even a moderate speed.

It's not a bad pedal, but the user has to like the feel of a longboard, because that's the only way it comes. I honestly didn't know it was a longboard at first, and I felt the pedal was a bit sluggish compared to the Pro 1-v (which I've been playing for over 2 years.) Once I measured the footboard, I realized why I had been fighting it.
So then your Pro 1-V is regular not a Bigfoot, right?

To drum or not to drum,
That is my question.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:51 PM

Correct, mine is the regular Pro 1-v.

That said, the Pro 1-v Bigfoot and the Dominator have a very comparable feel. The main difference is that Dominator has one position where the pedal attaches to the direct pull lever, and the Pro 1-v has three positions for different action. If someone likes the Pro 1-v Bigfoot in the 'middle' position, they'll like the Dominator. There are other physical differences, but as far as the feel, they're basically the same. In fact, that's the whole selling point: a less expensive Trick pedal without sacrificing feel.

But - the Dominator is a Bigfoot.

Bermuda
Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Correct, mine is the regular Pro 1-v.

That said, the Pro 1-v Bigfoot and the Dominator have a very comparable feel. The main difference is that Dominator has one position where the pedal attaches to the direct pull lever, and the Pro 1-v has three positions for different action. If someone likes the Pro 1-v Bigfoot in the 'middle' position, they'll like the Dominator. There are other physical differences, but as far as the feel, they're basically the same. In fact, that's the whole selling point: a less expensive Trick pedal without sacrificing feel.
So, as you have tried both then (Bigfoot and regular), which one do you think is more responsive, has better feel, is faster, and mostly easier to use?

To drum or not to drum,
That is my question.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 AM

How long is the footboard? And do they have stabilizers on the slave pedal so that it won't slide away, like velcro on the bottom or something? I play on carpet and my first double pedals slid away a lot, I had to put one of my dads lifting weight in front of it when I played.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkman View Post
So, as you have tried both then (Bigfoot and regular), which one do you think is more responsive, has better feel, is faster, and mostly easier to use?
Sorry, didn't see this post until now...

The Pro 1-v has a better feel to my foot, and it is a faster pedal. But that may not make a difference, potential speed depends completely on the style and tempo. So, playing 1/4 notes at 120 will be the same on both pedals, although the Dominator offers slightly more resistance due to the leverage change of the longer footboard.

The Pro 1-v also has some physical features that make it easier to use IMO, especially faster attach/detaching (due to the solid plate and side lever clamp release.)

Bermuda
Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipschmidt View Post
How long is the footboard? And do they have stabilizers on the slave pedal so that it won't slide away, like velcro on the bottom or something?
I don't have one in front of me to measure, but I recall the Trick's Dominator footboard is about 1" longer. But compared to their standard footboard at about 10", that accounts for the noticeable difference in feel and response. I'm not an engineering major, but to illustrate the difference between footboards of difference lengths, imagine it like this. Take a 12" stick, hinged at one end and attached to a table, and move the free end up and down, with both short and long travel. Now take a 24" stick, and do the same, applying the same effort. The longer stick will not move as fast as the shorter one, although there may be a feeling of more 'power'.

Okay, don't actually do that, you should certainly be able to visualize how it would feel. Well, the same goes for a longboard vs standard footboard, although exponentially less dramatic. But even without worrying about playing blazing 16ths, the seemingly small difference in footboards is enough to become a bit tedious over the course of a set, or especially whole night of playing. Conversely, someone used to a longboard would probably think the Pro 1-v footboard is getting away from them. As I said earlier, it's a personal preference.

For sliding, the Pro 1-v has a flat base, and Velcro helps keep it stable on carpets. But the Dominator has 'arms' for its base, and no place for Velcro. So the grippers are milled aluminum downward facing 'cups' with sharp edges. A little hard to visualize, and I don't have one here to photograph. But they seem to grip well. I would be very careful about usuing them on a wood or linoleum floor though, the edges on the cups are pretty sharp and would cause damage (in the same way that another pedals spikes should be retracted in some situations.)

Bermuda
Old 01-04-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
For sliding, the Pro 1-v has a flat base, and Velcro helps keep it stable on carpets. But the Dominator has 'arms' for its base, and no place for Velcro. So the grippers are milled aluminum downward facing 'cups' with sharp edges. A little hard to visualize, and I don't have one here to photograph. But they seem to grip well. I would be very careful about usuing them on a wood or linoleum floor though, the edges on the cups are pretty sharp and would cause damage (in the same way that another pedals spikes should be retracted in some situations.)

Bermuda
So it won't flex away on me when playing on carpet? Also, I found these things online a bit ago: http://www.music123.com/Pearl-PX85-P...40463.Music123 - It says it attaches to most pedals but it looks like it wouldn't attach to a Dominator. Think it will work if worst comes to worst? At the moment, I'm trying to do everything I can (sell some cymbals I'm not using, my old double pedals, working...) to get these bad boys...
Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 AM

I don't imagine that's a good fit for the Dominator, but I really don't think you'll have much trouble with the slave pedal moving.

Bermuda
Old 01-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Silver Member

I have the pro 1-v longboard double pedal and its a great pedal. The only things that are not perfect is that there is a little play in the slave pedal and the velcro that trick sent with the pedals wont stay stuck to the bottom of the pedals. They pull off the pedal and stay stuck to the carpet. But all you have to do is go to a fabric store and buy some velcro to put to the bottom of the pedals and you will be fine. Thats what i did and it works great.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipschmidt View Post
So it won't flex away on me when playing on carpet? Also, I found these things online a bit ago: http://www.music123.com/Pearl-PX85-P...40463.Music123 - It says it attaches to most pedals but it looks like it wouldn't attach to a Dominator. Think it will work if worst comes to worst? At the moment, I'm trying to do everything I can (sell some cymbals I'm not using, my old double pedals, working...) to get these bad boys...
It attaches to any pedal which has a hoop clamp. The Dominator has one as far as I can see, so the Pearl stabilizer should work with it.

Last edited by Fiery; 01-15-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
I have the pro 1-v longboard double pedal and its a great pedal. The only things that are not perfect is that there is a little play in the slave pedal and...
A little play in the slave pedal?

Can you tell where?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Gold Member

Might I suggest trying out the Pearl Demon Drives?
No play what-so-ever in the slave pedal, very customizable, and $60 cheaper woot! (at least in Canada. according to Musicians Friend their only $650 so thats actually $110 cheaper!!)

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post
Might I suggest trying out the Pearl Demon Drives?
No play what-so-ever in the slave pedal, very customizable, and $60 cheaper woot! (at least in Canada. according to Musicians Friend their only $650 so thats actually $110 cheaper!!)
The Dominator double is $550 or so.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
A little play in the slave pedal?

Can you tell where?
I cant really tell where. It really does not effect my playing at all.