DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-08-2009, 04:17 AM
Silver Member

Default Keep on breaking Nylon tips...

Recently I've run into quite a costly little problem - I've been breaking the nylon tips on my sticks before the actual stick. Usually this happens after a week or two of using the stick, or about twice as fast as I would break the stick.

Currently I'm using Vater 5Bs, and have been really happy with the stick before this started to occur. The simple answer is to switch to the wooden tip model of the same stick, but the whole reason I went to nylon tips was because I was breaking the wooden tip.

I've been considering moving back to using Vic Firth sticks in a heavier weight, either 2B or Danny Carey's signature model. Does anyone else have any opinions on sticks to try out? I play in a hard rock band, to give to you an idea of the kind of volumes I'm playing at listen to the single currently up on our myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/vitalsignsmusic

Cheers.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Keep on breaking Nylon tips...

Are the tips coming off or are you sawing them off with the hihat? Maybe lower the hihat so as not to hit the edge at such a sharp angle. I use Regal Tip 5A and 7A brand with nylon and have no problems. I would check my style first.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

I second the Regal Tip suggestion. If you are still breaking them, it is your style or angle of stick attack. Probably on the hihats, unless you find yourself hitting rims occasionally.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Pioneer Member

I can't say I've ever seen a nylon tip broken, sounds like quite an accomplishment :) If you are breaking Vater sticks, there is certainly something off with your playing. Vater sticks are some of the most dense sticks I've ever seen, and a 5B on top of that. Remember, a bigger stick helps you play louder without having to play harder. Sticks will wear and break, but make sure you aren't pushing them harder than they want to go. Regal Tip, Vic Firth, ProMark are all good sticks so find a style you like.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:40 AM

wow never heard of a nylon tip breaking! as other have suggested, sounds like a slight technique problem! how do you usually break them? notice any trend?

perhaps a stick stays thick for the majority of the stick and then tapers really fast would help. i dont know enough about different sticks to suggest any im afraid, ive always stuck to my vic firth 7AN and have never broken any ever, and i play heavy rock/metal :S
Old 06-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Two things. First,adjust the hight of all your cymbals and your hi-hat. Second, work on or change your sticking/grip. If all else fails,then try a pair of AHEAD Drumsticks.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

I use Vater 5B's and went through a couple pairs a few weeks ago with the nylons splitting or full on pop off. I've been using the same model for a while now and could only attribute it to a manufacturer thing...maybe a bad batch?!?! I've never had nylons split like that and haven't since those couple pairs. Just FYI, I was losing them mainly playing the bow of my ride.

I questioned if my striking angle had changed....maybe the "attack" of the tip to the bow of my ride? Not the case.

Might check yourself. But if nothing seems out of place and everything else seems in order, and provided you continue to enjoy the 5B's, I wouldn't change a thing.

BTW, I went back to nylon tips after a few years of wood tips...wood tips were much lesser for life.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:15 AM

you probably got a weird batch of nylon....not mixed right, or all the ingredients weren't there....something weird, definatly not the way your playing. nylon tips are made for impact. they will last longer than the stick. don't change the way you play or the way you kit is set up. buy some more and if the same thing happens go to a different company. promark probably has the best nylon tip material. very very resistant to impact and their tips are actually molded around a smaller tip so the nylons will never pop off. the sticks will break before the nylon tips do. if the nylons don't work out try a harder wood

cdx
Old 06-15-2009, 06:08 AM
Silver Member

I've Switched to Danny Carey's Signature Vic Firth stick, so far so good. I really like the tapered butt on them, they're very evenly weighted, they almost play themselves.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Silver Member

I'll second CDX on the Promark suggestion. I keep my spent sticks in a bag, all the PM's still have nylon tips intact. I was having the same problem with another brand, tips would snap off within a couple hours of playing - started trying the Promarks and have never looked back.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

when i play nylon tips i never had a problem with regal tip.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

I have not broken any sticks in a very long time but I find that the wooden tips regardless of the brand, always chip away very quickly so I have made the move to the Regal E style nylon tips. I put them trough quite a rigorous workout last week and they held up , so far. At first they felt like I was hitting concrete, just a different feel but they sound great and once I got used them they had good bounce. I hope I do not run into any other type problems with them as sticks typically run anywhere from 10 to 14 dollars, quite costly if you are forking out of your own pocket.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacamus View Post
perhaps a stick stays thick for the majority of the stick and then tapers really fast would help. i dont know enough about different sticks to suggest any im afraid, ive always stuck to my vic firth 7AN and have never broken any ever, and i play heavy rock/metal :S
of course you're not really the heaviest of hitters are you?

I'm a bit of a basher a lot of the time so i started using these things called SilverFox drumsticks which are really great for durability but they don't hurt your drums like a lot of non-wood sticks.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-18-2009, 10:10 PM

I've used the exact same stick for years (Vater 5B) and have had the same issue only recently, which makes me believe it's a quality issue at Vater. I always broke the stick before ever damaging the tip, but within the last couple weeks had one tip come off & another that split right down the middle.

I still like the sticks & will continue to use them, but I am definitely going to be more conscience of this....
Old 07-09-2009, 01:58 PM

when I first tried Vater I was having this problem, but I've been using the 5B's for awhile, and haven't had any tips breaking lately. Ease up on the ride cymbal too. I found that when I had my ride at an awkward angle, I would hit it too hard and break nylon tips all the time. Dropping them on concrete floors probably doesn't help either.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

you gotta learn to not hit the bell of the cymbal so hard, that will shatter a nylon tip every time.

Bonzolead