DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Default Need new heads...What do you suggest..

Hi,

I have an Mapex M birch kit, and i need new heads but i dont know what to choose. I havent had much experience in using different heads. However the stock heads i got sound like crap. Theres just no tone to them and they are really hard to tune.

Im looking for like a nice rock sound, not too deep, but not too dead.

I thinking either Evans Ec2's or Remo Pinstripe for Toms.

And the same for Snare. And some moon gel...and possibly for toms aswell.

Also will i need to buy both top and bottom heads for the snare and Toms, or could i get away with a stock bottom head. Thanks..
Old 06-06-2009, 10:11 PM

Default Re: Need new heads...What do you suggest..

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ter?sku=442974

for batter

maybe clear Amb's or Emps for res

Last edited by Mastershake16; 06-06-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 PM

Aquarian heads are my favorites and I've used Evans and Remo's as well. It depends what kind of sound you're going for but Aquarian is a very easy company to get in touch with. Just email them on their site. Last time I emailed them the owner gave me his direct line to ask him questions
Old 06-12-2009, 07:13 AM

I, too, have a birch kit.

I have used Evans G2 clear and coated, and have started using EC2s recently. (Wanted to try them because they were so hyped up.)

My personal taste, the G2 coateds were a little too dry on the birch. G2 clears were EXCELLENT. Like I said, i'm using the EC2s now and they growing on me I think. At first the were the brightest heads ive ever heard. But after playing some time on them theyre great. So check out the G2s and EC2s, you can't go wrong with either. Although I don't reccomend ever using Moongels, if you must, use them only on the G2s. The Ec2s with moongels on them will sound like cardboard.

The resonant heads on your toms should be changed, if you have the money. I feel that you should only change your resonant heads ever third time you change your batter heads. So if you can do it now, you might as well get it out of the way. For these heads, any single-ply clear head will do. I use Evans G1s, they sound great.

I have used probably 10 different heads on three different snares, and I always keep coming back to the same head. Its the Remo Emperor X. Its durable, sound the best ever, and tunes well. So thats my recommendation for that. For your snare resonant I would stick with a Evans Hazy 300.

Good luck with everything.