DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-27-2013, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Default If you drink when you play in bars do you drink when you practice?

It only makes sense to recreate the live playing situation.

I guess this question applies to other 'things' as well...
Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: If you drink when you play in bars do you drink when you practice?

I occasionally have a glass of wine, at dinner, at a gig, sometimes at a rehearsal with one group of wine coniss... connuess... fanciers. But I also don't have wine with dinner or at gigs or rehearsals. It's not tied to an event, sometimes a glass is nice, but never required to enjoy dinner, or playing.

Bermuda
Old 12-27-2013, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

I cant drink when I play drums....it doesn't satisfy my thirst and I get real thirsty playing drums...beer no fum on drum

Giuitar gigs are another story....I'll throw back corona and take two at a time prior to the next set. Nephew and future son-in-law on speed dial for the ride home :-)
Old 12-27-2013, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

On days off I'll have an odd beer before heading out to the shed for practice; with a few of my bands we have also had a brewski or two over the course of a three-to-five-hour practice -- but never enough to be sloppy.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 PM

Only drank once before playing drums, never again.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Member

If 4 years on this forum has taught me anything, it's that no-one drinks and plays on Drummerworld.........and there is no distinction from having one beer to getting so pissed you fall off stage. :-)
Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Renegade

Indeed not - no alcohol, junk food or any kind of drug before playing at any time. I will only drink still mineral water 3 weeks before playing (only still mineral water because the gas in the bubbles diminishes muscle fibre function).

Once at the venue I bring out my prayer mat and engage in healthful prayer and pure thoughts until it's time to start biting the heads off chickens and setting fire to the kit. It's important to do the right thing.

As a brief digression from my path of self-righteousness, it should be said there is such a thing as state-dependent memory - where you are more likely to remember what happened when you were drunk when you're drunk.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

I... ever, ...err, never.. drink febore, during and atfer laying... err, P-L-A-Y-I-N-G, yeah... playing the rhums, no, kit... set... drumset... drums, but the fanny thing, ...err, funny, hehehe... it that I nerver ever r'member which thong... song we slay... play first... some times I do get it not right and sometimes I'm getting it wrong, or the other way round, I wasn't... don't r'member... but I'll have a glass or two or three or four when I'm particin... practicing!!!

CHEERS
Old 12-28-2013, 04:40 AM
Gold Member

Contrary to my previous posts, I never drink at a gig or while practicing. I'm slow enough without it.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:13 AM

I always have a beer or two before a gig. Never get drunk, obviously - but I find one or two pots relaxes me a bit.
Rehearsal... depends. If it's a nice day or later on the day, yes.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:55 AM
Silver Member

In the 90's when I was playing the bars, I always had one beer per set. Then a couple more afterwards. I don't drink at all now, but my band members have 1 or 2 at rehearsals. I've not played any gigs with this band yet. I assume they'll keep a handle on it.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:11 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I generally play with 45 beers and 1 shot in my system. I only feel right after 45 beers and 1 shot...
Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I generally play with 45 beers and 1 shot in my system. I only feel right after 45 beers and 1 shot...
Buckshot in my case. 45 beers and buckshot when I'm running to the gig from the house I was in cause I'm a backdoor man.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Indeed not - no alcohol, junk food or any kind of drug before playing at any time. I will only drink still mineral water 3 weeks before playing (only still mineral water because the gas in the bubbles diminishes muscle fibre function).

Once at the venue I bring out my prayer mat and engage in healthful prayer and pure thoughts until it's time to start biting the heads off chickens and setting fire to the kit. It's important to do the right thing.

As a brief digression from my path of self-righteousness, it should be said there is such a thing as state-dependent memory - where you are more likely to remember what happened when you were drunk when you're drunk.
This is my favorite thing you've ever posted.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

It's not a requirement for me or anything. I suppose I usually have a beer or two before a show, I like nice beer, and almost always I'm playing at a uh, alcohol-vending establishment, so there's usually free beer for the band to be had. As we all know, free beer tastes even better than regular beer.

I cut myself off at about 3 for a show, and even that's only if I've got time to kill at the venue, or it's some really dirty punk rock venue where having fun and pushing energy is more important than precision.

As for practicing... I guess I usually drink less at band practices. Usually no beer, maybe one or two if I decide I want to. I'm more of a social drinker so I almost never have a beer while I'm just practicing patterns/technique on my own.

Interestingly, I do an open mic each week as a sort of default house drummer when no one else wants to play drums... I drink for that. I'll have whiskey and beer through the night. Usually I play just fine, but the thing about that is, since I won't accept money to play there, I feel no responsibility to be a great player or anything.

Frankly, I don't think anyone but me notices a difference in my playing regardless if I'm drinking or not. I will say that I'm not a fan of listening to drunk people play any instrument.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
This is my favorite thing you've ever posted.
The reason for this is elementary my dear Watso - we share a low sanctimony tolerance :)

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
If I study for a test when listening to music. Singing those songs in my head helps me recall information.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelthomas View Post
I always have a beer or two before a gig. Never get drunk, obviously - but I find one or two pots relaxes me a bit.
Rehearsal... depends. If it's a nice day or later on the day, yes.
I also like to have a beer about a 1/2 hour to an hour before the gig, to relax. As said already by others, too much drinking is no good. I do not like to drink while practicing anything serious. If I do, the practice time is just wasted.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:24 PM

I totally lose my timing and concentration even after a couple of beers, so I do not drink at all during gigs or rehearsals.

When I was much younger and played bass guitar, I showed up at a rehearsal after a few beers, and although I did not feel drunk, my playing was so sloppy, we could not continue. I felt really bad for wasting everyone's time and that was the last time I consumed alcohol in a playing situation.

Another reason I cannot drink during a gig is, I would have to rush to the bathroom every two songs!!!
Old 12-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

I do sometimes,but on occasion,I've had tee may martoonies.:)

Steve B
Old 12-30-2013, 12:31 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
If I study for a test when listening to music. Singing those songs in my head helps me recall information.
Nice trick, Pockets. That suggests that at least some songs puts us in a certain state, which is an interesting thought.

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-30-2013, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Nice trick, Pockets. That suggests that at least some songs puts us in a certain state, which is an interesting thought.
Not the point I was trying to make. The same goes for TV/Internet when studying. It is a lot easier to sing a sing in my head than to recall images and sound of a TV show.

It's more about the brain associating new knowledge to other things before it becomes ingrained.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:42 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
Not the point I was trying to make. The same goes for TV/Internet when studying. It is a lot easier to sing a sing in my head than to recall images and sound of a TV show.

It's more about the brain associating new knowledge to other things before it becomes ingrained.
Okay, gotcha. What about distraction? When I was at school I music distracted me when trying to study, especially the vocals. I went to instrumental music and that worked until I started getting into that too.

Do you change the lyrics to fit study themes? Stairway to Loretto Chapel? All You Need is Enzymes? Like a Rolling Sedimentary Stone?

Soundcloud stream
Old 12-31-2013, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

I play more freely and openly after one, or especially two drinks. Never more than three, though. For me, more than three drinks my playing begins to sound like the alcohol, a little wish-washy and walking fine lines.

However I will also say that I LEARN the most early in the day, which for me is from waking hour to ~five hours beyond. For me those hours are not drinking time.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:55 AM
Platinum Member

I'll probably get a little bored between sound check and stage time tomorrow so I'm sure I'll have a couple IPA's before the show. Depends how I feel. I might just have a double Red Bull and vodka.

I usually don't bring a bottle of whiskey to practice, but some of the other guys do. I only play in the evening so I'm always down for a couple shots, but just a couple. It's cold in that studio.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:18 AM
Platinum Member

I don't like the word "drink" as it's used in America. That word has become a badge of dishonor. "He drinks."

There is nothing wrong about drinking alcoholic beverages. If anyone gets drunk and incapacitated by drinking two beers, now, then they really shouldn't be drinking at all, period.

I always have a couple of beers at a gig that happens to be at a venue with a bar, for no other reason than there's a bar there. If the bartender looks like he knows what he's doing, I may have a cocktail. And I also sometimes have a cold beer sitting next to me, on a tom case, while I practice.

While I lived in England I once went to what's called a pub lunch, me and four other guys. The food was excellent, I had a spicy vindaloo, and these guys all had about three pints of whatever they were drinking, strong stuff. I nursed a pint of lager.

In Europe people drink all day, and nobody blinks an eye.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
I don't like the word "drink" as it's used in America. That word has become a badge of dishonor. "He drinks."

There is nothing wrong about drinking alcoholic beverages. If anyone gets drunk and incapacitated by drinking two beers, then they really shouldn't be drinking at all, period.

I always have a couple of beers at a gig that happens to be at a venue with a bar, for no other reason than there's a bar there. If the bartender looks like he knows what he's doing, I may have a cocktail. And I also sometimes have a cold beer sitting next to me, on a tom case, while I practice.

While I lived in England I once went to what's called a pub lunch, me and four other guys. The food was excellent, I had a spicy vindaloo, and these guys all had about three pints of whatever they were drinking, strong stuff. I nursed a pint of lager.

In Europe people drink all day, and nobody blinks an eye.
Very true....in the USA, I agree, we are culturally uptight about drinking and the defining of it. Having been to England many times for business, I find that is not even a question of acceptability....it's part of the fabric of life.

I'm not much of a drinker for the most part, but at guitar gigs I will certainly enjoy my share of Corona or perhaps Rolling Rock.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 PM

We generally will drink at practice, though usually this means a six split between the three of of us who do drink.

I've already made the only "one too many before a gig" mistake I ever needed, which was humiliating, and quite a long time ago as a kid. I'll have two beers max a little while before the show, but nothing at all once the hand warm-ups start.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:00 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I drank the most I ever have this past year for whatever reasons and now I decided I'm done with it. After the gig was all done I would order 4 beers, sometimes 5 and pretty much slam them down for the high as I was packing up. It puts weight on me, dulls my senses, I risk getting arrested driving home, and I'm basically pissing money away that would be better utilized elsewhere. Drinking for me wasn't a step forward and I don't want it to become a routine thing. Alcohol was never my drug of choice in the first place. I'm kind of a lightweight there.

Now get off my lawn! And shut the door, what am I heating the whole neighborhood?

Haga!

Last edited by larryace; 01-07-2014 at 07:16 PM.