DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 05-28-2009, 08:01 PM

Default Ludwig 6 Ply?

Hey,

Any Ludwig experts who can help. I've noticed 6 ply shells with different thicknesses. Did they change the shells in the early 80's? I understand that Ludwig changed shell configurations a lot in later years (as well as introducing the terms Classic and Super Classic every few years to confuse drummers). But specifically, anything in the early 80's rounded b/o badge era?

Drums I currently have, what I thought to be, the official 6 ply introduced in the mid 70's (b/o badges and numbers jive with that time) are 5/16" thick with M/P/M/P/P/M (outside to inside)

The thicker 6 ply shells (3/8") I have come across all have riveted seams, short lug inserts, and rounded b/o badges (2,xxx,xxx -3,xxx,xxx). The plies are the same M/P/M/P/P/M. Until recently, I had only seen the thicker shell with single headed toms, so I thought maybe they were the melodic toms I had seem in the Ludwig catalogues. Then I got a whole kit with the thicker shells.

Unless I can't count plies right, uh, wot's the deal?

JD
Old 06-04-2009, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Ludwig 6 Ply?

It's funny you should ask this, because I've got a 6 ply Lud bass drum from the 80's with the shell 5/16" thick. That bass drum is 16" deep with the rivited seems, so I know it's from the early 80's. I initially thought it was maybe a fake, but nobody would go through the trouble of putting rivets in the shell, and the shells don't fetch enough money to warrant faking them. I've got several 6 ply Luds, and all of them except for that one bass drum, are 3/8" thick. So, you have a whole kit that's 5/16" thick? How deep is the bass drum? I think some of these shells being different thicknesses could've just been mistakes, or experiments. Ludwig in the 80's was going through alot of transitions, so it could've been any # of things. I don't think they stopped making the 6 ply shell until the mid 90's, but I do think the thickness varied a bit after Ludwig moved to the NC plant in the mid 80's. There was a 4 ply shell made in the late 80's that was 5/16" thick, but those seem quite rare.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:00 PM

The 5/16" thick drums I have on hand include a chrome over maple bass drum, a natural maple floor tom and a marching snare. The 24" x 14" BD has a pointy corner b/o badge (1,6xx,xxx), thin bass spurs and no rivets; the floor tom has a rounded badge (2,0xx,xxx); and the snare had no badge, and had riveted seams. I had another pointy corner b/o badge floor tom years ago that I'm nearly certain had the 5/16" thick shell, as well.

Will the real 6 ply please stand up...
Old 06-07-2009, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd15 View Post
Hey,

Unless I can't count plies right, uh, wot's the deal?
Aparently 1/16 of an inch.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 PM

if any of you want to see my ludwig classic maples with an african waterfall bubinga finish you can watch my video on youtube. the toms and bass are 6 plies while the snare is a supraphonic. just to let you all know i didn't use any mics so it doesn't sound amazing. but you can still get a good idea of how they sound, i just used a camcorder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oh49qyQt4M
Old 07-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333tanx View Post
if any of you want to see my ludwig classic maples with an african waterfall bubinga finish you can watch my video on youtube. the toms and bass are 6 plies while the snare is a supraphonic. just to let you all know i didn't use any mics so it doesn't sound amazing. but you can still get a good idea of how they sound, i just used a camcorder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oh49qyQt4M
I think you're mistaken...these are probably the newer 7-ply, 6mm Classic Maple shells, which are much thinner than the shells discussed in the thread.

Very nice kit though!