DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 AM

Default 1st double bass pedal setup

Hey Crew,

Damn... I just got an old (1960-ish) Gibraltar "Rock" double bass pedal, and took to it like a fish in water! I've never done the double bass pedal before, and am instantly addicted to it.

I think one thing might be a factor in instantly taking to it-- for years I've been tapping my LEFT foot to drum beats on the radio while driving my truck, (as obviously the right foot was on the gas pedal or brake) and I think that makes all the difference.

Now, a question-- how in hell can I snug my hi-hat up next to it close enough so I don't have to spread my left foot WAY over to get outta the way of the left foot pedal for the bass? I hae the internal bass pedal rod scrunched in as far as I can-- do I need to cut that rod down?

All input is VERY welcome, and thanks in advance.

Cheers,
C. P.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 AM

Default Re: 1st double bass pedal setup

i just have the left bass pedal coming from the back of the hi hat stand right next to the hi-hat foot bored and try to avoid wide shoes so its easy to move my foot from side to side.
if that helps at all?

a drop clutch can also be hand?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:41 PM

I would say use a remote hi-hat setup if it bugs you that much, or get a 2 legged hi-hat stand and put the slave pedal around the back so that its on the outside of the hat pedal. I have been dealing with this problem since I picked up my double pedals, I have a 3 legged hi-hat stand so my solution to getting to the hi-hat pedal easily is well... long legs. Another option is something like this http://www.dwdrums.com/hardware/5520-2.htm, that's what I would have got if I wasn't such a newb when I picked out my pedals
Old 05-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Platinum Member

does your hi-hat stand allow the pedal to rotate right or left? i just rotate my hi-hat pedal to the left as far as it'll go without hitting the leg. that frees up enough space to allow my left bass drum pedal to scrunch in right next to it. i try to extend the left pedal just far enough so that i can play it without my left leg hitting the snare. i'm really happy with my setup. i can get the hi-hat close enough that i don't feel like i'm reaching excessively far with either my hands or my left foot.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Pete View Post
Hey Crew,

Damn... I just got an old (1960-ish) Gibraltar "Rock" double bass pedal, and took to it like a fish in water! I've never done the double bass pedal before, and am instantly addicted to it.

I think one thing might be a factor in instantly taking to it-- for years I've been tapping my LEFT foot to drum beats on the radio while driving my truck, (as obviously the right foot was on the gas pedal or brake) and I think that makes all the difference.

Now, a question-- how in hell can I snug my hi-hat up next to it close enough so I don't have to spread my left foot WAY over to get outta the way of the left foot pedal for the bass? I have the internal bass pedal rod scrunched in as far as I can-- do I need to cut that rod down?

Cheers,
C. P.
L0L!! 1960's???? No, I very much doubt it. The Zalmar Twin FAR preceded Gibraltar's double pedals and the Zalmar pedal wasn't out 'till the mid 1970's!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 05-27-2009, 03:35 AM

Hey Viper,

Yeah, you're right, and I stand corrected-- I found out it's a mid-to-late 70's pedal. (probably circa 1975, about the same time I graduated High School)

All I know is that it's a hoot playing with it, and I know that there are WAY better double pedals around, but as this is my 1st one, it sure is a hoot to be able to left-and-right foot the bass beats, and double up on the same.

I've seen double pedals for as much as $700+ bucks online, and I'm sure they're heavy-hitters, but maybe I'll progress from here after I get used to using what I have, and when my cash flow allows me a better budget for more drum accessories. ( I'm a General Contractor, and business is in the crapper due to the economy)

Cheers to all,
C. P.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey Viper,

Yeah, you're right, and I stand corrected-- I found out it's a mid-to-late 70's pedal. (probably circa 1975, about the same time I graduated High School)

All I know is that it's a hoot playing with it, and I know that there are WAY better double pedals around, but as this is my 1st one, it sure is a hoot to be able to left-and-right foot the bass beats, and double up on the same.

I've seen double pedals for as much as $700+ bucks online, and I'm sure they're heavy-hitters, but maybe I'll progress from here after I get used to using what I have, and when my cash flow allows me a better budget for more drum accessories. ( I'm a General Contractor, and business is in the crapper due to the economy)

Cheers to all,
C. P.
Hey Pete,
You don't need to spend a ridiculous amount to get a quality double pedal. I bought a USED DW 5000 Accelerator for $125 bucks. Less than HALF the price of a new one. Tama Iron Cobra'a are also a great pedal, and they're going for even LESS!! If you look around, you'll find a deal.

Which Gibraltar Double Pedal do you have?? Pics?? Gibraltar makes some good stuff and the one you have just might be a good one.
Mike
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 05-27-2009, 06:29 AM

Hey Viper,

The only numbers on the unit are on the pedal (right one) are 2011db--75.

I'll take a few pics of it when I get a chance and post them here for all to see.

Played the hell outta the drums tonight, and even jammed to some fast-paced Deep Purple songs, now that I can do faster bass beats with 2 pedals--feels GOOD!

Rock on,
C. P.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:16 PM

I have a newish Gibraltar d/pedal, I think it's pretty good!
I also have an old Premier flush-base hihat, 3rd leg is under the pedal, no problem fitting the two pedals right next to each other. I tried the hh on the outside at first, but it was too far away for my liking, so I swapped them. I'm very comfortable with this setup - I just need to get some serious practice in !!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 PM

They made double pedals in the 60's? Geeze I figured they just go with the two bass drums.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:06 AM

Hey Crew,

I once again tweaked, lubed, and tightened all of the components on that pedal setup, and think I have it working as smooth as it gets for an older rig.

I noticed that a lot of chrome parts have been painted black, and those will be stripped of the paint, and polished at some later time.

I know it's probably a really primitive pedal setup, but hey-- it's my first, and I'm still stoked about it. Hell, for all I know it could be a much sought-after relic, but I really doubt it--I just love hammering away with it.

Here's a few pics of it, and if anyone has any info, opinions, feedback, etc., it's all welcome.
Once again, I have to thank all here for all the great info and advice I've gotten since I joined up here.
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 AM

This looks like an old Dixon double pedal I have.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:57 AM

Is that a piece of cardboard on the bass drum head?

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

From the pics it looks to me more like it's from the 1980s. The DW5000s are absolute belters of pedals and pretty cheap too. Many pros use them over much more expensive direct drive pedals because the less "rapid" feel of a chain drive suits them better.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

i'm guessing that pedal is from the late 80's or even the 90's. when i was drumming in the 70's i don't remember ever seeing a double pedal, only double bass drum setups. and i don't remember seeing chain drives either. i dropped out of drumming for many years, so i don't know when double pedals and chain drives came out, but either they didn't exist or they were rare in the 70's, and i'm pretty sure they didn't exist in the 60's.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Hey Crew,

Damn..
Now, a question-- how in hell can I snug my hi-hat up next to it close enough so I don't have to spread my left foot WAY over to get outta the way of the left foot pedal for the bass?

Cheers,
C. P.
you might wanna buy a highhat that has the option of turning its feet gradually horizontally. Turn its feet so that the left double pedal shows up under the right leg of that hihat. This is the closest you can go.
With a little practlse you can then even step on both hihat and left double pedal same time like Dennis Chambers does in his solos
Old 06-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

DW, Tama, Pearl and Yamaha all make hi-hat stands with 2 legs instead of 3. These stands are specially designed to allow better positioning of the left-foot bass drum pedal. The only drawback is that they can be a little unstable when set up on a soft surface (like thick carpet). Also, if you want to move the hi-hat closer, you can extend the length of the pedal drive shaft so that the left-foot pedal is actually located to the left of the hi-hat. I've seen a few pros (most notably Billy Ward) do this, but I guess it all depends on the pedal you're using.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

You'll find some of the earliest double pedals here: http://home.hetnet.nl/~winnie-/galle...s/pedals1.html
Old 06-03-2009, 02:49 PM

C.P.

What you have there is a Gibraltar Rock series, RBG2-11DB. This series started in
1996 and was a more affordable option that fell under the Intruder, Avenger, and Prowler series of pedals.

Jim
Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 PM

I never saw ANY double pedal in the 70's so how could this be from the 60's ??

I set my hi-hat up so that I can hit my left bass pedal with my left heel and my hi-hat with my left toe. "3 foot technique" I call it.

http://teachmedrums.com/3feet.html

Dan
Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 AM

Hey crew,

JFS, I think you hit it on the head, and I think you're correct. I was told a few days ago (by a supposed "drumming expert") that it's a late 70's-early 80's pedal setup, but I dunno. who the hell knows?

To all the rest of the crew, I was obviously mistaken on what year it was made, and was going on what the seller told me-- hey, I'm new to the double bass pedal world, and all I know is that it's a killer asset to my drumming.

I can now do a lot more of the "heavy hitter" faster paced songs on drums like Deep Purple stuff, and even Tocatta by ELP. I've added jumping rope (yeah, I'm sure that sounds real sissy to some) to my workout routine, and that seems to be helping with my legwork. It's great cardio, too!
Before anyone asks, I'm into weightlifting, and NOT a "bodybuilder"-- those guys (and girls) literally tear up muscle tissue to make themselves APPEAR bigger, not add strength. Hell, I'm 51 years old, and gotta keep doing all I can to stay and get in shape, ya know?

For everyone's feedback on the pedal setup, mucho appreciated. That's one reason I joined up here, and I love all the info and opinions here.

Rock on,
C. P.

(ps) the bass drum has an internal foam pad taped to the inside of it--NOT cardboard!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 AM

Hey Crew,

Here's the link to my pedal setup,:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Event...ltar-Rock.html
Thanks again to JFS.

Cheers,
C. P.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey Crew,

Here's the link to my pedal setup,:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Event...ltar-Rock.html
Thanks again to JFS.

Cheers,
C. P.
interesting. I would not have thought it were from '98 whatsoever but then again i suppose it's quite a budget model so i guess that further goes to show just how much hardware has improved over the years that budget models from 10 years ago looked like the pro hardware of the 60s and 70s!

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-09-2009, 07:19 AM

Hey Crew,

I found a couple compromises-- I raised the throne 2" and that gives me better control on the dual bass pedals, AND I moved the left pedal towards me, so the hi-hat pedal can rest the right leg BEHIND left bass pedal, and not have to be so far away from me. (Had to raise the snare 1-1/2", but "leveled out" the upper toms a bit more, so worked out well)

Now, another of my MANY dumb questions- with this set-up, I'm now more comfortable sitting on the front edge of the throne, rather than seated in the middle of it. Feedback please on the pros/cons of this.

All advice sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,
C. P.

Last edited by Concrete Pete; 07-18-2009 at 08:10 PM.