DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-25-2009, 12:37 AM

Default Drumhead for rock/metal style.

Hello there,

I'm new to this forum, i've been reading some threads for some time here and i find this community very very helpful. So i decided to sign up and post a rusty question which i know it has been answered many times in the past but still i'm so stuck and can't get through it.

So,
What drumheads do you suggest for a birch drum set and for rock/metal style of playing?
My kit is *yamaha stage custom nouveau advantage*

Currently using stock yamaha remo crap heads, which the tom ones are far more than disapointing, the snare and bass one are ok... for now.

So what do you recommend to take? Should i change only the batter sides or reso's too? (I don't have money coming out of my ass)

However i would like to hear what combinations you suggest. Should it be G2 over G1 for example or just one G2 batter should do the job for now?

Oh and one more question, Its about the 16'' floor tom. (Tom sizes are 12-13-16). I read somewhere, i think it was on this forum, someone said its a good combo to put EC2 batter and G2 as reso on 16'' floor tom, for a cool deep sound.

16'' floor toms are indeed large drums, but... G2 over G2? I'm curious how it would sound but i don't want to have a complete diferrent sound from the other toms. Cuz it would be like TOM1 : G2-G1 TOM2: G2-G1 TOM3: G2-G2.

Waiting for suggestions, thanks and keep rockin!
Old 05-25-2009, 01:13 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Drumhead for rock/metal style.

I'd say g2/g1 would work fine. Maybe ec2's...

EDIT: Didn't read whole post. For now, upgrading the batter will be okay, but you should probably change them in the future. As for the g2/g2 thing, it's all up to you. Experiment with it and find the sound you want.

I think g2/g2 would sound a little thuddy/deep.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 AM

While I know that most people are going to suggest using G2s, Emperors, EC2s, pinstripes, etc...I'm going to give you a different opinion. Playing on a birch drum kit myself, I have to say I like the sound of G1 batters over anything because they give me the most open sound. Birch tends to have a dry sound as it is so putting a thinner head on lets me hear more of the drum's sound. This would probably be considered heresy to the devout metal drummers out there but, since I've never had problems of breaking or wearing through tom heads, I don't see any reason not let the toms breathe a little more. My G1s tend to go out of tune a little quicker, but I'm willing to tune them up (like 20 sec per tom) to get the sound I like most.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 AM

I've also experimented with both clear and coated of both G1 and G2, and for metal, I would recommend staying with the clears. The coated sound really nice but you will get more attack from a clear head, IMO
Old 05-25-2009, 07:30 PM

batters:
for the toms try Remo Pinstripes or Powerstroke 3's
for the bass try a Remo PowerSonic
for the snare try a Emperor or Emperor X

resonants: unless you have money to blow, don't bother changing the resonant heads (unless they somehow break). IMO the resonant heads don't make nearly as much of a difference as the batter heads do. the stock ones are just fine. unless you're a perfectionist.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the replies folks,
I quess i will go for the G2s. Hopefully they won't disapoint me, and in future i'll see if i can change everything.

Thanks again
Old 06-05-2009, 05:00 PM

Alright,
I found a video, which shows EC 2 over G2s. So, if anyone wonders how they sound, take a look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxmJS4r3vFg

About me now, i ordered EC2s and power center reverse dot, i'll have them by Tusday, when i use them i'll let know how if found them.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumguyfromWI View Post
batters:
for the toms try Remo Pinstripes or Powerstroke 3's
for the bass try a Remo PowerSonic
for the snare try a Emperor or Emperor X

resonants: unless you have money to blow, don't bother changing the resonant heads (unless they somehow break). IMO the resonant heads don't make nearly as much of a difference as the batter heads do. the stock ones are just fine. unless you're a perfectionist.
You'll be amazed the differnce it will make if you put some nice quality resonant heads.
Ofcourse the batter is more important but the reso is too.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:50 PM

I used to use evans coated G2/EC Resonant on the toms and floor toms, EC Reverse Dot/Hazy 300 on the snare and clear EQ2/stock sonor reso head with a 5 inch port. I use ludwig heads now and i find there coated weather master 2 plys are a very good sounding head and on top of it there cheaper than anything pretty much anything else out there.
Regal Tip Sticks
Old 06-09-2009, 09:13 PM

I got em!!! They are soo, kickass! Just what i wanted. Deep sound, with not much of overtones, the sustain is awesome.

Even cooler is the power center reverse dot, its just amazing, has awesome sound, can't stop hitting it!!

So, for 12,13,16 birch drums EC2s for metal style have a big *YES*