DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-24-2009, 09:44 PM

Default What should i use to make a 6.5x14 snare sound more like a 8x14 snare?

im open to just about anything
Old 05-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What should i use to make a 6.5x14 snare sound more like a 8x14 snare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafrothunder View Post
More like an 8" (?)... Remo Falams
Old 05-24-2009, 11:31 PM

Default Re: What should i use to make a 6.5x14 snare sound more like a 8x14 snare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
More like an 8" (?)... Remo Falams
lol i mean like, i just want to make the snare sound much deeper and more powerful. What head could i use to do that?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 AM
"Uncle Larry"

The short answer is an 8" snare. Can't fake what ya aint got.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

if you want more power and deph you should use a double ply batter head like evans G2 or remo emperor , and for the snare side : something like remo emperor snare side .

that's the combo I use in my snare , and it sound much more powerfull and deep than with other combos .
Old 05-25-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENRICO View Post
if you want more power and deph you should use a double ply batter head like evans G2 or remo emperor , and for the snare side : something like remo emperor snare side .

that's the combo I use in my snare , and it sound much more powerfull and deep than with other combos .
how about a remo emperor-x with a remo emperor snare side? Doesnt get much heavier than that lol. Or would that just sound obnoxious?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:07 AM

I changed the snare wires on mine from the standard size to a 42 strand set. Gives alot more pop and the snare sound is more defined. I also used the Evans EC Reverse Dot (the 2-ply one) on the batterhead and then Evans Hazy 300 for the resonant. Makes my 5.5x14 snare sound much bigger and stronger than it really is.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
lol i mean like, i just want to make the snare sound much deeper and more powerful. What head could i use to do that?

Remo Falams is a Kevlar drum head, it'll give you a phat sound. They're single ply which makes it more playable on the snare, The bulk of the Kevlar means you can tune-up and not be burdened with too much rebound. A marching head by description, Falams work well on kit snare drums. You'll (most probably) never break it and it won't pull-out.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ead?sku=442416
Old 05-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
1. sell the 6.5x14 snare drum.

2. use the money from that to buy a 8x14 snare drum.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Remo Falams is a Kevlar drum head, it'll give you a phat sound. They're single ply which makes it more playable on the snare, The bulk of the Kevlar means you can tune-up and not be burdened with too much rebound. A marching head by description, Falams work well on kit snare drums. You'll (most probably) never break it and it won't pull-out.

that head looks pretty good! i also found this other one that is similar called the Aquarian Power-house. Have you heard of it?

How would the remo falams compare to a remo emperor-x?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:05 AM

Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but what kind of results would one get with an Evans Glass 500 snare side head?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 PM

what snare do you have? What head do you have on there right now?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

You need to identify what about an 8" snare sound is what you're after before a proper answer can really be given.

Tom
Old 05-26-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhammerer View Post
what snare do you have? What head do you have on there right now?
its the stock snare that comes with ludwig accent custom elite sets.
8 ply, 8mm, birch, stock heads.

I just want a deeper, more powerful sound, similar to that of an 8x14 (which are super expensive), and i just wanted to know what heads would be good to give the 6.5 that extra power.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

What you need to do is start another thread.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
What you need to do is start another thread.
?

did i miss something...
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Twenty Characters.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

Try the Aquarian Hi-Engery snare head. And don't tune it too tight.

I have a 5.5 x 14 snare that I can make sound like anything. I used once of these heads on it in the studio and got it to sound like an 8"
Old 05-27-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
although that video was hilarious, i still dont get your point...Im asking a legit question here...

anyway, i think i'm just going with the emperor-x. Its just more convenient. Maybe if I destroy it or something (which isnt likely because its supposed to be super durable) i'll spend the extra cash and grab me a Hi-Energy or Falams
Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
although that video was hilarious, i still dont get your point...Im asking a legit question here...

anyway, i think i'm just going with the emperor-x. Its just more convenient. Maybe if I destroy it or something (which isnt likely because its supposed to be super durable) i'll spend the extra cash and grab me a Hi-Energy or Falams
215 posts to date. I counted 18 new threads that you've started in that time. That seems a little excessive to me to say the least. That's a new thread every 11.94 posts which gives you one of the highest new-thread-to-post ratios I've seen on here for a long time and it gets frustrating when you could've probably have answered most of the questions yourself if you'd done more research.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
215 posts to date. I counted 18 new threads that you've started in that time. That seems a little excessive to me to say the least. That's a new thread every 11.94 posts which gives you one of the highest new-thread-to-post ratios I've seen on here for a long time and it gets frustrating when you could've probably have answered most of the questions yourself if you'd done more research.
you gotta admit, that is pretty impressive.

well im probably not going to be on here anymore because i have had all my questions answered, so there you go

if im on here again, it'll be to post my new band's music, who i happened to find on craigslist...
Old 05-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Not impressive in the slightest. You'll probably find that I've started fewer threads than you with my post count - or at least it'll vaguely be around about the same mark. Nothing is more frustrating than trawling through trying to find something interesting when one poster is continually posting inane drivel.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Not impressive in the slightest. You'll probably find that I've started fewer threads than you with my post count - or at least it'll vaguely be around about the same mark. Nothing is more frustrating than trawling through trying to find something interesting when one poster is continually posting inane drivel.
i understand your concern...kind of...let me look up "drivel" real quick...

i am not constantly posting drivel. what "childish, silly, or meaningless talk or thinking; nonsense; twaddle" have i posted, besides a little joke here and there. I searched the forum beforehand (most of them...) before posting a thread.

I was very new to drum gear back when i posted the Pitch Blacks thread and the Alphas thread,
and then i wanted to know about the Powerstroke 4 because i had never heard of anyone using it,
and then i wanted to know about Aquarian Power-sleeves,
and then i wanted to know about drum lugs (and someone expanded on that thread by creating another threadby the way),
and then i wanted to know if ludwig 300 series stands would be able to hold a 24in 2002 ride
and then i wanted to know about some good crashing rides, and i actually found a ride that i love
and then i wanted to know about what pedals would be best for me.

those are all legit questions

kind of
Old 05-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
You did that with a calculator.......... :)
Old 05-27-2009, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

I'm going to second the Aquarian Hi-Energy head.

Not tensioned too tightly, with the 42 strand wires should fatten up your drum quite a bit.
And you'll retain some sensitivity with that head too.

The Emp X could work too, but the Aquarian won't have as high a pitched crack/overall sound as the Emp X will because of the material they use for the center and big giant dot.

It's a surprisingly sensitive and responsive head IME.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I'm going to second the Aquarian Hi-Energy head.

Not tensioned too tightly, with the 42 strand wires should fatten up your drum quite a bit.
And you'll retain some sensitivity with that head too.

The Emp X could work too, but the Aquarian won't have as high a pitched crack/overall sound as the Emp X will because of the material they use for the center and big giant dot.

It's a surprisingly sensitive and responsive head IME.
Thanks!

If I were to go with the hi-energy, what side head do you recommend? would just a clear ambassador work?
Old 05-27-2009, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks!

If I were to go with the hi-energy, what side head do you recommend? would just a clear ambassador work?
Sure, why not? If it doesn't get the sound you want, change it then.

To my ears, Aquarian heads are warmer sounding that other brands (the reason they use the film they do), and a warmer snare side head might help more (getting the deeper sound) IF you don't get what you want with what you have.

If you DON'T have a good bottom SS head now, you could just start from scratch and use an Aquarian. There's a regular snare side, and one with some of the power dot material where the ends of the wires sit too, which is kinda neat.

But if you have an Ambassador on it now, try it and save the money.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Sure, why not? If it doesn't get the sound you want, change it then.

To my ears, Aquarian heads are warmer sounding that other brands (the reason they use the film they do), and a warmer snare side head might help more (getting the deeper sound) IF you don't get what you want with what you have.

If you DON'T have a good bottom SS head now, you could just start from scratch and use an Aquarian. There's a regular snare side, and one with some of the power dot material where the ends of the wires sit too, which is kinda neat.

But if you have an Ambassador on it now, try it and save the money.
alright sweet dude, thanks!
Old 05-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

Huh... Your right. I forgot all about these heads. I've used them several times a long time ago.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Huh... Your right. I forgot all about these heads. I've used them several times a long time ago.
how were they? did you like them?
Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks!

Hi Energy and Ambassador will work very well. I've been using that combo for a few years now. In fact, I just put a new Hi Energy on tonight..
Old 05-28-2009, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Hi Energy and Ambassador will work very well. I've been using that combo for a few years now. In fact, I just put a new Hi Energy on tonight..
Which would you recommend out of the Emperor-X, Falams K II, and Hi-Energy?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
how were they? did you like them?
I liked it in 1989.... I remember having it on the snare for a very long time.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Which would you recommend out of the Emperor-X, Falams K II, and Hi-Energy?
For what you want, I'd say try the Emperor X. The Falams head may give you what you want as well but the Emp is a lot cheaper. If you can afford the Falams.... give it shot.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:19 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshisaces View Post
You did that with a calculator.......... :)
Actually it was 11.94 recurring, but I thought I'd let that slide.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
i understand your concern...kind of...let me look up "drivel" real quick...

i am not constantly posting drivel. what "childish, silly, or meaningless talk or thinking; nonsense; twaddle" have i posted, besides a little joke here and there. I searched the forum beforehand (most of them...) before posting a thread.

I was very new to drum gear back when i posted the Pitch Blacks thread and the Alphas thread,
and then i wanted to know about the Powerstroke 4 because i had never heard of anyone using it,
and then i wanted to know about Aquarian Power-sleeves,
and then i wanted to know about drum lugs (and someone expanded on that thread by creating another threadby the way),
and then i wanted to know if ludwig 300 series stands would be able to hold a 24in 2002 ride
and then i wanted to know about some good crashing rides, and i actually found a ride that i love
and then i wanted to know about what pedals would be best for me.

those are all legit questions

kind of
Questions that all could have been answered by i) Using the search button (watch it little Billy!) or ii) Looking on the manufacturers' websites. Or just going and trying gear out.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Questions that all could have been answered by i) Using the search button (watch it little Billy!) or ii) Looking on the manufacturers' websites. Or just going and trying gear out.
FYI, i watched little william like 3 times, i think i get it now.

i find it much easier to just post a harmless question here rather than going to gc everyday to try new stuff out, that sometimes isnt there, like the powerstroke 4 (how do they still not have that...)

and the manufacturerer's websites are biased, i refuse to trust them unless they give sound clips.

and when i did search, all these random posts came up with titles that have nothing to do with my question. Instead of looking through every single thread, why not just start a new one and make it easier for future searchererererers?

instead of condemning my laziness, why dont you utilize it to its full potential
Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Because after answering the same questions for five years, it becomes terribly tedious.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Because after answering the same questions for five years, it becomes terribly tedious.
Actually it's only been 3 years and one month ;) but i get your point

TS what happened to you not posting on here anymore?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Actually it's only been 3 years and one month ;) but i get your point.
No it hasn't. I was a member from June 2004, the forum went down, came back up. I'm a pioneer member because I joined between the first month. The April 2006 is a whole 'nother story that we won't go into here.