DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-19-2009, 11:19 PM

Default Need HELP!!! Acoustic Drum Triggers

Whats up everyone. I am hoping someone can fill me in on some much needed info.

I am currently in a Rock/hip hop cover band. Playing everything from Rage against the Machine to Bon Jovi to 50 Cent and Kanye West. Needless to say, I try and mimic sounds as much as possible.

At the moment, I basically have my main snare which i use for most applications and a side snare cranked up real tight and slightly muffled for that hip hop crack.

I play samples for songs through a Roland SPD-S sampler. I started to load some of the actual hip hop snare sounds into the sampler and the sounds are great. However, i would love to ditch the side snare and slap a trigger on the main snare for samples. I would also throw one on the kick to possibly sample some hip hop kick drums(not as important)

My question is, Has anyone plugged acoustic triggers into the SPD-S? I know the snare trigger has dual trigger capability allowing for a sample to assign to the rim and the head. Can the SPD-S handle that function?

I just want to make sure that in a live situation that i can just push a button and WHAM my main snare now sounds like a Pro Tools created hip hop snare with some hand claps assigned to the rim for rim shots and such.

I hope this all makes sense. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Re: Need HELP!!! Acoustic Drum Triggers

I'm not so sure about the SPD-S, but I know if you had a Roland TD module, like a TD-12 or a TD-20, you can plug a trigger into one and get some Ok (MIDI) sounds. Alternatively, you could use an Alesis trigger module like a Trigger iO or if you have the money (and the RAM) use a program like BFD2 via a TD-12 plus a FireWire - MIDI interface into a MacBook or something on stage (thats if you want quality sounds).

H