DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 AM
The Walrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ludwig Pearl

Would you trade this kit? Ludwig 1971 black oyster pearl, 8x12, 9x13, 16x16,14x22, 5x14

For this kit ? Pearl Masters Custom from 2001 in a natural finish, 10x10,10x12, 15x15, 16x22
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Cacaphony's Avatar
Cacaphony Cacaphony is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: indianapolis
Posts: 61
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

I think it would depend on whether or not I was playing alot of shows. If I was in a touring band, I'd prefer to keep the ludwig because I'd be afraid I'd scratch and ding up the natural finish on the Pearl kit. I'd think the wrap would protect it a bit more on the road.

Just my 2 cents.
__________________
...the rhythm section of the storm.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Solaris's Avatar
Solaris Solaris is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 976
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

Personally I wouldn't. The Lugwig is vintage, and is only going to increase in value. While the Pearl is certainly more gig-able (even if those are some odd dimensions), I don't think it's value is going anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 AM
Crusto 62's Avatar
Crusto 62 Crusto 62 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 212
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

No don't trade that ludwig kit. You will regret it later on.
__________________
Tama & Ludwig
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Cakco Drums's Avatar
Cakco Drums Cakco Drums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 90
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

.................................................. no!
__________________
My Band
One of my kits
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:54 PM
RogerLudwig's Avatar
RogerLudwig RogerLudwig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: East of Eden, California
Posts: 460
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

If it was me, I'd keep the Ludwig's
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 PM
TFITTING942
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

I would trade. The hardware alone would be it for me. That old single braced ludwig stuff would fall over and cry if I played on that kit. Also, don't be fooled by something that is vintage. Older is not always better, it's mostly just out dated. People love to believe that something like that set will be worth a huge fortune someday and you can sell it and retire.
It's just not going to happen. No one on this forum can sell their kit and become rich off of the proceeds and there are a ton of amazing kits here. That pearl kit is better in all ways than that ludwig. Are there better kits than the Pearl? Yes, but that's not the trade here. ( I'm trying to avoid Pearl bashing from everyone). That kit was a dime a dozen when it was new and there is nothing special about it that screams "collectors item". It's not like it was one of Ringo's kits. Trust your ear more than anything else and get the kit that sounds best to you out of the two. As far as value...they are probably equal at best so go for it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,648
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

Not me..........................
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Big_Philly
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

If you are happier with the pearl (I would be), why not?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:31 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,260
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
The hardware alone would be it for me. That old single braced ludwig stuff would fall over and cry if I played on that kit.
Looks like single braced DW hardware to me......nice stuff......as far as trading. If you're looking for a kit to hold onto for the "rest of your life", go with whichever kit sounds best to you. Re-sale value means little, if you're never gonna sell. If you're looking for a kit that is gonna hold it's value, the Ludwig already has, and will continue too. The Pearl, I'd say, is already worth less than the Luddy, if you were to eBay both kits. Three Pearl kits on eBay right now, auctions ending within three days, from $399-1350, and no one (so far) bidding on any of them. Vintage Luddies (and other makes) continue to sell.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)

Last edited by harryconway; 05-20-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-19-2009, 11:36 PM
TFITTING942
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Looks like single braced DW hardware to me.
my mistake, my monitor here at work has pretty poor resolution.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 AM
The Walrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
I would trade. The hardware alone would be it for me. That old single braced ludwig stuff would fall over and cry if I played on that kit. Also, don't be fooled by something that is vintage. Older is not always better, it's mostly just out dated. People love to believe that something like that set will be worth a huge fortune someday and you can sell it and retire.
It's just not going to happen. No one on this forum can sell their kit and become rich off of the proceeds and there are a ton of amazing kits here. That pearl kit is better in all ways than that ludwig. Are there better kits than the Pearl? Yes, but that's not the trade here. ( I'm trying to avoid Pearl bashing from everyone). That kit was a dime a dozen when it was new and there is nothing special about it that screams "collectors item". It's not like it was one of Ringo's kits. Trust your ear more than anything else and get the kit that sounds best to you out of the two. As far as value...they are probably equal at best so go for it.
Well we're talking drums for drums, no hardware other than tom mounts and arms. I actually do think vintage kits sound better in a way than modern kits, I mean they are warmer, the tone is more subtle. Vintage kits are genrally lighter because of the hardware and shell construction. I do however like the volume and tuning of modern kits more than vintage. Harry I know you're right about resale, I mean the Ludwigs sold for $600 back in 1971, now they sell for at least twice that much and I'm sure that Pearl kit cost over $2,000 back in 2001, which means they would bring maybe $1,000 now. With all that said, I'm not sure what to do, I love the natural finish on the Pearl kit. Decisions, decisions.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-20-2009, 03:23 AM
The Walrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

Here's another wrinkle to add, a guy wants to trade this Rogers silver glass glitter kit with a Powertone snare, plus a possible cymbal for my Ludwigs.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 AM
RogerLudwig's Avatar
RogerLudwig RogerLudwig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: East of Eden, California
Posts: 460
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Here's another wrinkle to add, a guy wants to trade this Rogers silver glass glitter kit with a Powertone snare, plus a possible cymbal for my Ludwigs.
I used to own a Rogers kit, and I would trade for it if I had the Ludwigs. The Rogers hardware was bomb proof compared to the Ludwig stuff of that era (IMO). Does he have the single tom mount? There appears to be a collet for it, and one on the rack tom, but the swivo unit is missing. Otherwise, that is a great looking kit.

Is it a 12/16/20?

The only problem is that you end up with one less shell!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-20-2009, 07:00 AM
The Walrus
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

Yes it has the swivelmatic arm and it is a 12,16,20,14, plus I would probably ask for a nice cymbal. I'm not sure about the 20, I'm use to a 22, I like a bigger sound, but if the price is right, I may trade.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-20-2009, 05:05 PM
RogerLudwig's Avatar
RogerLudwig RogerLudwig is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: East of Eden, California
Posts: 460
Default Re: Ludwig Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Yes it has the swivelmatic arm and it is a 12,16,20,14, plus I would probably ask for a nice cymbal. I'm not sure about the 20, I'm use to a 22, I like a bigger sound, but if the price is right, I may trade.
I upgraded to a 22" kick Ludwig Classic Maple from a Rogers 20"....the Rogers was comparable. With the right heads a 20" Rogers can sound like a cannon. Play 'em and see what you think.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com