DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Default Pedal Board Bouncing too much...

Hi there! I recently purchased the new Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive, Double Bass Pedal and let me tell you, it's an amazing pedal.

However, recently I've noticed something strange with my left pedal (slave pedal). The board is bouncing quite alot. Normaly this wouldn't bother me, I don't even notice when I'm playing fast. Although the problem is, when I'm playing fast, then switch over to slower hits, for example 4 32th notes, followed by 6... say 8th notes. The first 8th note is silent, because after the previous kick, the pedal board bounces up, and then down again before I kick it, making it so that when I'm kicking, it's already at the bottum, making the beater travel a too low distance to get a nice hit.

Any advice on how I could fix this would be awsome!

Thank you!

-Hag
Old 05-18-2009, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pedal Board Bouncing too much...

Work on your foot control - never let your foot lose contact with the pedal board. Fight the urge to lift your leg(s) higher when starting a slower beat. Do the George Kollias 16 week speed and control workout (you can find it here), it's great for getting control over different foot motions at different tempos.

Another simple exercise, if you find this happening mostly with the left (weaker) foot, as I did, is to practice playing loud, slow single strokes with it, say 8ths at 60 bpm, and to concentrate on keeping the leg movement short and quick in order to keep contact with the pedal.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Work on your foot control - never let your foot lose contact with the pedal board. Fight the urge to lift your leg(s) higher when starting a slower beat. Do the George Kollias 16 week speed and control workout (you can find it here), it's great for getting control over different foot motions at different tempos.

Another simple exercise, if you find this happening mostly with the left (weaker) foot, as I did, is to practice playing loud, slow single strokes with it, say 8ths at 60 bpm, and to concentrate on keeping the leg movement short and quick in order to keep contact with the pedal.
Bingo!

must.....be......twenty......characters.......arrr rrrr
Old 05-19-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post

Absolutely work on foot control - this is the root of the issue here. Your foot should travel with the pedal - if you "fling" the beater at the head and rely on the spring for the return action, you'll have problems with control. Besides: the beater and head have a quicker natural rebound than the spring - you just need to be quicker on your feet and get out of the way of the rebound. A good but challenging exercise to develop this touch is to play the first page of Colin Bailey's Bass Drum Control with no spring on your pedal. Keep it slow initially, you'll need to. But this exercise will do a lot to help you build control over volume and rhythm, and you'll be able to move about as fast as is physically possible if you keep with it. :)