Mario Duplantier

Bonzo_88

Well, i am very surprised to not see him already listed on here. As some of you will know, Mario Duplantier is the drummer from Gojira. His brother being the Lead Vocal And Guitar of the band.

Gojira have somewhat an unique style, especially within their 'genre'. It would be easy to dismiss them as just another speed metal band that screams inditinct noises at you. However the opposite is true. Whilst they have elements of speed/death metal, including the fastest feet i have heard, especially live, they also blend elements of other styles into their music making for a completely progressive experince.

Think Dream Theater are Progressive Metal? Wait untill you hear Gojira. This is true prog, as it is something new. Concept albums about the environment, death as an experience and their fears of it, spiritually and much more, Gojira make music with a message, a message that is their own and which is frighteninly relevant to todays society.

In fact i would go as far to say that as a band, Gojira is the new TOOL; and i don't say that lightly, TOOL being my favourite band.

Recommendations:

Albums: From Sirius To Mars
Songs: Flying Whales, From Mars/To Sirius, Backbon, Ocean Planet, Global Warming

That should start you off if you have not heard them before.

P.s. No offenc to Dream Theater intended, just used them as a means to and end.
Also...how did you like my attempt at music journalism?

Peace.
Kurizu

Mario is a really good drummer. I loved his work on The Way of All Flesh. Not only does he have fast feet, but he is a really creative and solid drummer all around. I think of Gojira as groove metal/prog metal, but I don't think that they are too similar to Tool. Tool is also my favorite band.

Back