DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-15-2009, 06:35 PM

Default Can't fit tom mics on Gretsch Renown Maple toms? Help!

This is my first new threat on the DrummerWorld forum, and I've got a problem. I just picked up a Gretsch Renown Maple kit (which is AWESOME btw), but I can't clip my mics to the toms. I have Sennheiser e604 drum mics which worked great for my previous kit, but there isn't enough room between the tom mount GTS suspension system and the rim of the drum to fit the mic clip in there. It's supposed to clip onto the rim, but there isn't enough space to fit it between the tom mount and the rim. The clip can fit fine on the front or side of the drum because the suspension doesn't go all the way around the drum, but then the mics are in the way (and I hit the mics, which is bad).

Is there anybody else who has solved a similar problem who can give me advise? I can afford new mics, but it seems like a waste when a thinner clip would probably solve my problem. The mics screw into the clips, so I'm a bit limited on my options as far as which mics to use. Besides, I'm a drummer... what do I know about mic clips? :)

I've attached a few pictures to help you see what I'm talking about. I'm considering sawing off the back of the mic clip, but I'd rather get your advise first. I found all the pictures online or in this forum, so sorry if I stole your pics.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

Old 05-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Can't fit tom mics on Gretsch Renown Maple toms? Help!

Well, you could mount it on the side of the tom, because I see what you mean. Clip it where the mount ends where it's just the rim.

Have you tried mounting it solely on the mount? It might work.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:18 PM

I tried clipping the mic to the mount, but the clip is too big. I'll probably end up just taking out the saw and take off the little piece on the back. Who needs resale value anyway, right? I'd still like a few more ideas if anybody has got any. :)
Old 05-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

There is a mic clip called ( MIC - EZE) they may work better. I use them. Have a look.

http://atscomms.com/Sales/Products/M...e/mic-eze.html
Old 05-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmoonwalker View Post
I tried clipping the mic to the mount, but the clip is too big. I'll probably end up just taking out the saw and take off the little piece on the back. Who needs resale value anyway, right? I'd still like a few more ideas if anybody has got any. :)
I would try altering the clip before I took a saw to the tom mounts. That is cruel and unnecessary behavior.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Why do you have to mount it on the back of the tom?
You can just mount the mic on the actual rim where the mount isn't.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:29 PM

i dont have a pic but i had the same problem with my gretsch...so i just took of the counter hoops both the batter and reso side and put the rim mount on the bottom...it actually looks really cool no mod necessary...can be done in about 5 min
Old 05-15-2009, 10:35 PM

Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 PM

the rack tom is mounted like i previously stated.....i works great no loss in resonance
Old 05-21-2009, 04:03 PM

Thanks for all the tips. You guys are fantastic! I'll probably just mount them upside down like the picture shows. Thank you so so so much for the advice. :)
Old 05-22-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the tips. You guys are fantastic! I'll probably just mount them upside down like the picture shows. Thank you so so so much for the advice. :)
Well... it's up to you, but having a suspension mount at the bottom of a drum probably isn't the best idea, there is so much weight and strain on the lugs it's attached to, either the mount will break or, in a WORST case scenario (I'm talking ABSOLUTE WORST case, but it's still possible), the whole drum COULD crack vertically.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:48 AM

Hi all, I just joined this forum after doing a google search and finding this thread. I was hoping if I posted another reply here, maybe there would be some drummers with Gretsch Renown and offer recommendations for specific mic rim/hoop clips or mounts that fit the Renown Toms. I've heard the Samson mics are ok, but the clips break (unless they improved them). But do they fit?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:44 PM

I have three Gretsch kits and they all have these types of mounts. The short answer is to just mount the mic on the rim portion not coverred by the suspension mounts. You get a good fifth of the drum not coverred at the very least. I play out quite a bit and have never had problem with any of the mic systems including theese. You may want to look at where you have the mounts arranged and ensure that you have the open areas in good mic coverage zones. Perhaps there are larger clips available for these mics as I don't seem to recall the sound guys having any such struggles and theese are actually one of my favorite mic systems. Mounting from the bottom may create problems, the pure physics of the suspension mount would have all of the weight and force of impact all riding out to the lugs in this bottom mounting scenario. Not convinced about vertical splitting, but over time you would driving the lugs upwards through the shell and that won't end well. Another considerration would be during teardown/setup if you were to drop one and it was bottom mounted and it landed on the mount it would drive it fairly hard into the lugs and that may create some additional problems. Overall I would say to work with the location of the non-suspension mount areas and get that in a position where those little mics won't get hit. I honestly don't know how your hitting those little things any way. What have you been using in the studio? SM-57s are industry standards and they are huge in comparison. Best of Luck.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Well... it's up to you, but having a suspension mount at the bottom of a drum probably isn't the best idea, there is so much weight and strain on the lugs it's attached to, either the mount will break or, in a WORST case scenario (I'm talking ABSOLUTE WORST case, but it's still possible), the whole drum COULD crack vertically.
The mount bears the weight of the drum if it's on the top or the bottom - that's the whole idea of it. Any backup to the claim of the drum cracking? Seems supremely farfetched to me from a lot of different angles.

Heck, Bozzio had his toms mounted upside down on RIMS for quite a while (Remo for sure and I think Mapex as well). I doubt he would have kept on that road had there been problems of that magnitude.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

Another idea is to get a smaller boom mic stand for each drum. Then there would be no interference with the drum's resonance. Depending on how many drums are in your set-up, this may or may not be a reasonable solution.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
Another idea is to get a smaller boom mic stand for each drum. Then there would be no interference with the drum's resonance. Depending on how many drums are in your set-up, this may or may not be a reasonable solution.
That's definitely ideal but I don't think the 604s he's using have the option for a non-clamp mount.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonson View Post
That's definitely ideal but I don't think the 604s he's using have the option for a non-clamp mount.
It has an integral stand mount that screws directly onto mic stands according to their website.

Like this http://www.uniquesquared.com/eBayImg...02ii_stand.jpg

I know that's not a 604 but it demonstrates the idea.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
It has an integral stand mount that screws directly onto mic stands according to their website.

I know that's not a 604 but it demonstrates the idea.
Ahh, I got a different angle on the 604 from the product sheet. Yeah, you definitely could back that screw out and use a boom stand if you were so inclined. My bad. That'll teach me to post before coffee.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:59 PM

To revive an old thread: these clips work great with the Gretsch suspension system: http://www.thomann.de/nl/km_24030_mikrofonhalterung.htm.
Masterwork cymbals...Guru snare
Old 04-17-2012, 05:19 PM

I had the same problem. The floor toms are ok, but not the tom suspension system.

The attached Audix clamp does not work with the Gretsch tom suspension system - unless the portion of the tom diameter not covered is used. However IMHO this is not practical.
The attached Shure clamp screws nicely unto the Gretsch suspension.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jornthedrummer View Post
The attached Shure clamp screws nicely unto the Gretsch suspension.
Yes, I've been looking at those Shure A56D too, they are also fine.
But I thought EUR 53 (or USD 69) was just too much money for a mic clip.

That K&M 24030 goes for EUR 12,70 (or USD 16,50).
Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 AM
Gold Member

Mic holders drum mic mounting systems.
http://www.bigbangdist.com/mic_holders.htm

Im using a couple of the ones shown attached to the hoop by the tension screw. That piece stays attached to the drum and I leave the other piece attached to the mic. Makes for a very quick and solid attachment. They have a built in rubber isolation mount and are priced quite good as well as i paid $15 each for them.

Last edited by tard; 04-18-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Mic holders drum mic mounting systems.]
Looks functional but maybe a bit more hardware than needed?

As everybody likes pictures, the first picture is one of my gig tom mics - an EV PL35 - with the inconvenient clip.
The next is the K&M clip. It also solves the cable-mounting problem because of the angled back of the EV mics.
Simple but functional.
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 PM

Great pics Eric !

now those K & M seems to be what i was looking for.
Those others attached to the hoop seem to be great too but i think they would look better for percussion
Old 04-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampis View Post
Great pics Eric !

now those K & M seems to be what i was looking for.
Those others attached to the hoop seem to be great too but i think they would look better for percussion
If your toms are attached to a rack or stand that has cymbals also attached you can get the vibration of the cymbal bleed into the mic causing a low frequency rumble because being attached to the isolation mount or anything further back is not isolated unless the mic mounts have built in isolation. If your attached to the hoop you gain the advantage if the isolation the tom mount provides which is why a lot of mic mounting devices are made to attach to the hoop but can still be a problem if your toms have shell mounts and not some type of isolation mount. Just be sure your mic is getting some form of isolation from everything be it thru the tom mount or already built into the design of the mic mounting system.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:49 PM

Where would find the K&M clips? I too have a Renown Maple and would love a solution....Those look exactly like what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
Looks functional but maybe a bit more hardware than needed?

As everybody likes pictures, the first picture is one of my gig tom mics - an EV PL35 - with the inconvenient clip.
The next is the K&M clip. It also solves the cable-mounting problem because of the angled back of the EV mics.
Simple but functional.