DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Gold Member

Default Tama hihat: Lever or Velo glide?

i am in the market for a new hihat stand. i have (and love) my iron cobra pedals and want a matching hihat stand, but tama offers two types.

the velo-glide is chain driven.
the lever-glide uses a strap.

right now, i am leaning toward the lever glide. what do you guys think?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Tama hihat: Lever or Velo glide?

I'm also buying a new hi-hat stand, and it'll be tonight too. From the talk I've heard, the Iron Cobra's seem to be the better stands. For $100 less, is the Roadpro not worth it if I'm looking for a good pedal?

The Lever guide looks like it has a longer stroke for the pedal, but how does the strap hold up to extended use? I seem to remember the ones at axe music being chain-driven, but with a lever.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:39 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm a little surprised the strap drive is $20 more????? I just recently switched over my 9000 bass pedal from chain to strap and there is a big difference in feel. The strap made it smoother and the action feel lighter. now how that would transfer over to a HH stand I don't know and for the $20 I'd have to put my feet on one to see.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

I used to own a Velo Glide hihat stand, and all I have to say is this: Don't waste your money on one of those. The pedal action is very sluggish, even at low spring tension and no matter how much WD-40 you use. Instead, pay the extra $$ and get the Lever-Glide model (The strap is made of Kevlar, which is the same material they use for marching snare heads and bulletproof vests). I have a Yamaha HS 740 right now and it's an excellent stand: super-smooth pedal feel, lightweight, and relatively inexpensive. (little more than 100 USD)
Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Silver Member

Interitus, the roadpro is a great stand, I've had it for 3 years and have had no problems with it. It's smooth, responsive and very well built. Originally I was going with the cobra but after I played the roadpro I coulldn't justify the price difference for an almost zero difference in feel and quality.
The roadpro has all the adjustments you need. when you get to know this piece of gear you can adjust it to anything that suits you. Also, legs are spinnable so it will accomodate double kick.
Bottom line it is a very sturdy stand.
Sorry for veering off the subject.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

Was in the same dilemma few weeks ago and now I'm playing on a TAMA Lever-Glide, smooth, fluid and quiet. It has many feature too to consider.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-15-2009, 12:38 AM

The lever glide is the best hi-hat stand I've ever used. For some bizarre reason I sold mine a couple years ago thinking that the grass would be greener on the DW9000 side of the fence. I know it's personal preference, but boy, was I wrong!

DrumART.com - Use Your Head! (TM)
Old 05-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member

I bought the lever glide about three months ago. I love it! It is smooth and responsive. Because of the lever action, I can play all night without getting tired. (I'm middle aged and I have arthritis in my knee and ankle) Tama sells excellent pedals at a good price. I like the two leg system. I also like the tension adjustment mechanism. It never slides away from me even in a waxed wood floor. I also play an Iron Cobra bass pedal. I love that too! I didn't see the need for the chain drive. I don't pound down on my hats that hard. Not like I play my bass pedal.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:59 AM
Gold Member

seems like im getting the lever glide. i was planning on it. now im sure.
thanks guys!
Old 05-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Gold Member

i just bought it on musiciansfriend.
cant wait.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:25 AM

Bought the Lever-glide yesterday, along with an IC double pedal. One word describes both: AMAZING.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
I'm a little surprised the strap drive is $20 more????? I just recently switched over my 9000 bass pedal from chain to strap and there is a big difference in feel. The strap made it smoother and the action feel lighter. now how that would transfer over to a HH stand I don't know and for the $20 I'd have to put my feet on one to see.
Just a note on this, I believe there is a bigger difference between the 2 models than just the strap and chain.

The lever glide is a additional mechanism (lever) at the point at where the strap or chain connect to the rod. The velo glide appears to be connected directly from the chain to the rod.

I've got an older model lever glide (direct drive as opposed to strap or chain), it's been one of the pieces of hardware that I've not had the desire to ever replace. Great stuff, congrats on your purchase!
Old 05-26-2009, 04:50 AM
Platinum Member

For the record, Tama Lever Glide HH has both a chain and a strap together, well, not together, but on the lever to pull-rod assembly.

Like Jer said, there's a lever mechanism on the LG and the VG has a direct chain pull.

First generation Lever Glides had a solid alloy strap. Second generation had a solid ABS strap and current models have the nylon strap. I believe one of the reasons they went to the nylon strap is b/c it transfers less vibration.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
For the record, Tama Lever Glide HH has both a chain and a strap together, well, not together, but on the lever to pull-rod assembly.

Like Jer said, there's a lever mechanism on the LG and the VG has a direct chain pull.

First generation Lever Glides had a solid alloy strap. Second generation had a solid ABS strap and current models have the nylon strap. I believe one of the reasons they went to the nylon strap is b/c it transfers less vibration.
I'm a bit late but here's my 2 cents:
I've had a Tama hihat stand HH45R or sthg similar to tha, not quite sure. Similar to Roadpro. Has 5 spring tension presets and swivel foot. Worked great but I discovered one thing that bugged me. When I released the pedal and top cymbal went up it always produced a stiff sound because there was still tension in the spring as the rod reached it's final position. So what I did was fairly simple: I took out the spring and heated it so I could strech it a bit. 10mm or so. Anyway, the result was what I expected: Not too stiff action when played by foot and when played opened it produced a better sound (for me anyway). And I still have 5 tension presets.
While I still want to own a Cobra HH stands I know I'll never get one because I made me a great HH stand and anythend else would be a waste of money. And I've always been a DIY guy :)