DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-10-2009, 11:39 PM

Default Remo PS3 on a 26 kick

So i put a hole in my emperor last night : (

i was really diggin' the head.

The only head anyone has in my area for a 26 is a PS3.

I really like the big boomy sound the kick has with no muffling.

I know that the PS3 has a muffling ring on it, but am i wrong to assume it would subtly take out the overtones?

anyone have any luck with a 26 and a PS3?

any help/advice is appreciated!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Remo PS3 on a 26 kick

One of my favorite heads/combos is the clear Powerstroke 3 batter/ebony Ambassador reso. Currently, I run that on my Rogers XP-8 22x14. I also have run that combo on my Ludwig 26x14's, my Luddy 24x14, my Yamaha 28x14, and my Yamaha RC 22x17.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabasta! View Post
I know that the PS3 has a muffling ring on it, but am i wrong to assume it would subtly take out the overtones?
I guess it all depends on your definition of "subtle". Certainly, the Powerstroke 3 is going to "tame" some of the overtones, but there's nothing very "subtle" about a 26" kick either. Big drum, big boom. Bonham ran a felt strip across the batter of his kicks. Might have used a P3, had that head been available back then, but it wasn't.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
One of my favorite heads/combos is the clear Powerstroke 3 batter/ebony Ambassador reso. Currently, I run that on my Rogers XP-8 22x14. I also have run that combo on my Ludwig 26x14's, my Luddy 24x14, my Yamaha 28x14, and my Yamaha RC 22x17.
I guess it all depends on your definition of "subtle". Certainly, the Powerstroke 3 is going to "tame" some of the overtones, but there's nothing very "subtle" about a 26" kick either. Big drum, big boom. Bonham ran a felt strip across the batter of his kicks. Might have used a P3, had that head been available back then, but it wasn't.
I have been thinking about getting either a ps3 or ps4 to go with a clear ambassador resonant on an 18x22 incher, but i cant decide...I know I want a powerful sound of my bass but I dont want it to be overpowering...If only there were sound clips or something...

I know taylor hawkins of Foo Fighters uses the ps3 with an ambassador reso, so if you like his sound, you should go for it

Im thinking that a 26 with ps4 would be too booming, considering that the 26 is loud on its own lol, so just go ps3. more control, more balanced

Last edited by zafrothunder; 05-11-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Silver Member

It's a very popular head. It isn't bad but ,,,,, it's not for me in my situation. If you like it nice n loud, it will serve you well. If you put a hole in an Emperor, work on not burying the beater OR just use a Remo Falams pad if your set in your ways. If you ate your way through a 2 ply head, you will be certain to drive right through a PS without a patch.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM

thanks for the suggestions!

I am going to put a patch this time.

I think i am going to scratch the PS3 and just get a coated emperor with a patch this time.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:46 PM

why not try a powerstoke 4? Those are just emperors with a muffling ring like the single ply version. I run a coated ps 4 on my 26, and it's a super fat, punchy and boomy head at the same time. Get a patch too, or it won't matter which head you get.