DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 PM
zafrothunder zafrothunder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 333
Default What kind of heads should I go for?

I am getting a ludwig accent custom elite (highly upgraded, found a sweet deal), but it comes with the stock heads, which I assume suck.

So what heads do you guys suggest would be good? Not too expensive, but still high quality.

im going for a grunge/hardcore punk sound. And I love deep sounding toms, if that helps at all lol.

I have been mainly looking at remos, such as the Pinstripes, but i dont know for sure.

could you guys suggest me a head for each drum maybe?

6.5x14 birch snare
10x12 small tom (i may just sell this one or something, and just go with 2 toms. I like that set up more)
11x13 middle tom
16x16 floor tom
18x22 bass drum

8 lugs/mm for each one.

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 PM
joshisaces's Avatar
joshisaces joshisaces is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 1,221
Default Re: What kind of heads should I go for?

Maybe hydraulics for the toms. They can sound really deep.
__________________
\m/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2009, 09:22 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,181
Default Re: What kind of heads should I go for?

Are you in a band, or just playing "alone" for your own enjoyment? If your solo, Pinstripes might work. The problem with those, is killing all/most of the overtones needed to cut thru other instruments. Travis Barker plays Remo, and runs a Powerstroke 3 on his kick, smooth white Ambassadors on his toms, and coated Emperor snare.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 AM
zafrothunder zafrothunder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 333
Default Re: What kind of heads should I go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Are you in a band, or just playing "alone" for your own enjoyment? If your solo, Pinstripes might work. The problem with those, is killing all/most of the overtones needed to cut thru other instruments. Travis Barker plays Remo, and runs a Powerstroke 3 on his kick, smooth white Ambassadors on his toms, and coated Emperor snare.
im solo for now, but I plan on joining a band in the near future.

Dave grohl used pinstripes and i loved his toms' sound, so thats why i was checking them out, but i wasnt sure. How about this? would this sound alright?

snare - Coated Remo Emperor X top, Clear Ambassador bottom

toms - Clear Pinstripes top, Clear Ambassadors bottom

bass - Clear Powerstroke III

any good? I got a deal on the Pinstripes and Emperor X at Guitarcenter, so thats why i picked those?

Does that look like a sensible set up? Im looking for deep, but not obnoxious


what do you mean? pinstripes cant be heard over other instruments?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-08-2009, 12:41 AM
wloeb wloeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 493
Default Re: What kind of heads should I go for?

Here's a thread containing a recording of my drums with clear pinstripes over clear G1's (Same as ambassador). You would probably tune lower for grunge.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...784#post572784
__________________
My recording experiment:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40247
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-08-2009, 04:58 AM
zafrothunder zafrothunder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 333
Default Re: What kind of heads should I go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
Here's a thread containing a recording of my drums with clear pinstripes over clear G1's (Same as ambassador). You would probably tune lower for grunge.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...784#post572784
thanks! that sounded pretty good. You had very small toms though lol. Do you think they would sound good on the toms that I have? Like if I were to bang the 11x13 and 16x16 together, would they sound as natural as yours, only deeper and more menacing?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-08-2009, 05:51 AM
wloeb wloeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 493
Default Re: What kind of heads should I go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zafrothunder View Post
thanks! that sounded pretty good. You had very small toms though lol. Do you think they would sound good on the toms that I have? Like if I were to bang the 11x13 and 16x16 together, would they sound as natural as yours, only deeper and more menacing?
Depends on the tuning. My toms are 10 12 14 and 16 but I have them tuned a little tighter than medium. If you tune them lower, you may be happy.
Wayne
__________________
My recording experiment:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40247
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 AM
zafrothunder zafrothunder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 333
Default Re: What kind of heads should I go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
Depends on the tuning. My toms are 10 12 14 and 16 but I have them tuned a little tighter than medium. If you tune them lower, you may be happy.
Wayne
alright, well I am just going to ask this question FOR THE WIN

Which are better?

Remo Pinstripes OR Remo Emperors?

I got deals on both so...I'm leaning toward the Emperors because according to the Remo site they are the most durable of the clear weatherkings...

and taylor hawkins uses them, so you know they're awesome

Last edited by zafrothunder; 05-08-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com