DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-16-2013, 03:29 AM

Default DIY Woodblock

I have a cowbell, tamborim, splash, extra hi hat, but no wood block attached to my kit, but I happen to have some scrap walnut from when I made my live edge head board and matching night stands this summer, so maybe I'll give making a wood block a try.
http://www.ehow.com/how_10072264_mak...ion-block.html
The two piece seems straight forward to build, I guess that just leaves two questions. Tuning the wood block and mounting the wood block. I know mounting is a total tone kill, but such is life. I think ultimately all my percussion toys would go on a rack together. Any suggestions how to mount it? I think walnut is a pretty common tone wood for guitars, so I should be OK there. Just shooting from the hip here but I suspect the resonant cavity and the springiness of the top are the two dominant factors in the tuning, and the resonant cavity being more related to the perceived volume near a specific tone. Maybe the top is tuned like a marimba bar? Thinning at certain places.

http://www.lafavre.us/tuning-marimba.htm
Old 12-16-2013, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: DIY Woodblock

This thread reminds me of when I made a wood block set for a 6th grade project.

My dad wanted to help and we ended up taking some piece of wood and creating a cavities in 4 different areas on that single piece.

I cried the rest of the day because he didn't believe me when I told him how a real woodblock worked and did it his way.

Anyways, that sounds like a fun woodworking project.

Why not mount rubber bottoms like a concert block?
Old 12-16-2013, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
This thread reminds me of when I made a wood block set for a 6th grade project.

My dad wanted to help and we ended up taking some piece of wood and creating a cavities in 4 different areas on that single piece.

I cried the rest of the day because he didn't believe me when I told him how a real woodblock worked and did it his way.

Anyways, that sounds like a fun woodworking project.

Why not mount rubber bottoms like a concert block?
I kind of know how that feels. I have an eight string cello scale lap dulcimer, my dad designed and I built. No one at the bluegrass jams can hear a note I play, I guess he didn't quite have a grip on the whole acoustics thing, makes a nice art object next to the night stands and head board though.

Rubber feet would be pretty cool, but wouldn't that be more like something that you would use on a percussion table? I already have a couple of hand held wood blocks.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
I kind of know how that feels. I have an eight string cello scale lap dulcimer, my dad designed and I built. No one at the bluegrass jams can hear a note I play, I guess he didn't quite have a grip on the whole acoustics thing, makes a nice art object next to the night stands and head board though.

Rubber feet would be pretty cool, but wouldn't that be more like something that you would use on a percussion table? I already have a couple of hand held wood blocks.
Time to invent the free floating wood block.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPockets View Post
Time to invent the free floating wood block.
Yeah, I don't like the look of this mount. Its screwed, and probably cost more than buying a wood block.

http://www.blackswamp.com/p-783-wood...mount-kit.aspx

Maybe a 3/8 to 1/2 inch hole and a grommet, that way it would be able to float around, and it would be accessible for taking off and using by itself. Maybe if it had some sort of platform underneath it with the rubber feet, I wouldn't have to worry about it splitting.