DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-04-2009, 08:57 PM

Default Pedal or Throne

I am wondering what to get first, either the DW 5000 single pedal (or maybe a Tama Iron Cobra Power Glide that will also be a single) or a Roc-N-Soc Nitro throne (with backrest)? What do you think is a better to have?

To drum or not to drum,
That is my question.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Pedal or Throne

Throne....if you are not comfortable the pedal will not matter.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:39 PM
TFITTING942

There was a thread a short time ago about a Throne versus something else (cymbals I think) and most of the posts were for the Throne, hands down. I have played behind a lot of peoples kits and never once thought about how the throne felt or if I was too uncomfortable to play. My throne is a Pearl from 1985 and I love it. It came with my set. I think of all the greats, Rich, Bellson, Bonham Krupa...What do you think they were sitting on??? Complete junk! They probably spent a good deal of time just keeping their balance while playing. However, if Buddy Rich sat on a pile of sand bags, he still would have been Buddy Rich. Find a pedal that you like and also that you can afford. If you are too uncomfortable on the throne you have...stand up and play guitar! No offense to anyone who is pro throne, I just dont think it's an important part of playing drums well.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Gold Member

I'm gonna say throne. You're really gonna notice the difference. You'll be able to play for much longer and it'll be comfortable long playing.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
There was a thread a short time ago about a Throne versus something else (cymbals I think) and most of the posts were for the Throne, hands down. I have played behind a lot of peoples kits and never once thought about how the throne felt or if I was too uncomfortable to play. My throne is a Pearl from 1985 and I love it. It came with my set. I think of all the greats, Rich, Bellson, Bonham Krupa...What do you think they were sitting on??? Complete junk! They probably spent a good deal of time just keeping their balance while playing. However, if Buddy Rich sat on a pile of sand bags, he still would have been Buddy Rich. Find a pedal that you like and also that you can afford. If you are too uncomfortable on the throne you have...stand up and play guitar! No offense to anyone who is pro throne, I just dont think it's an important part of playing drums well.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjb63 View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Well, I noticed the difference between my old late 80's era throne and my new throne. MIND-BLOWING difference! Completely crazy. I used the new one for about a week then sat on my old one for kicks and I couldn't stand that I was so oblivious to getting a new throne. That old one made me feel like I was sitting on a piece of (uneven) plywood.

I still stand behind getting the throne.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Silver Member

Well it kind of depends on your situation. Do you have a crap throne, if so, get a new throne. However when I first got my kit, I played on a dining table chair chair for a while then picked up a $60 DW throne, now there's nothing a little stretching before hand can't solve. Then again I am fairly young. May be your an older fellow with sciatica, in which case the throne would be a no brainer. In my opinion I'd go with the pedal, especially if your existing one is crap.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Take care of yourself first, get a throne. It should last forever, just buy it once. I like the bounce in the nitro thrones, but I didn't like it when the (Roc n Soc) nitro cartridge failed on me. I got the Roc n Soc spindle throne after that gig. That won't happen again. Pedals are the thing I think about least. DW 5000 hundred bucks, gets the job done, no muss no fuss.

Your opinion is the important one though.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
People seem to think the throne will "save your back," but it's really all about posture unless you're sitting on something as un-ideal as a folding chair.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

I bought a nice throne before I got a decent pedal. You're playing won't change dramatically between different pedals but being comfortable, relaxed, and using good posture makes a huge difference.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Gold Member

I have a DW 5000 pedal AND a Roc-N-Soc Nitro, and posted a similar thread a while back (as referenced in an above reply). Everyone said to go for the throne. I did, and couldn't be happier!