DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 PM

Default Reflective Writing as a tool for self development

Anyone out there interested in reflective writing and how it can be used as a tool for self-development?

I've been using at work (i work as a part time physio-assistant) in order to help me to develop confidence while dealing with cancer patients in face to face situations.

Anyone used it to help them develop their drum teaching or music tutoring skills? Or for anything else? Any ideas on where to start with it and how to structure it?

My aim is to use reflective writing as a means to overcome anxieties which stem from my lack of self confidence in work and social situations - i'm 27 now and these problems are really beginning to grate!!
Old 05-02-2009, 09:08 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Reflective Writing as a tool for self development

Maybe you could inform us what reflective writing is, I for one don't know what it is.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Gold Member

What's hard about dealing with cancer patients? I've had an internship for my nursing study last 6 months and I think there is no greater patient population than people with cancer. Many of them are fighters and are actually really inspiring. On the other hand you can give so much to them in care and just being there, listening and stuff.

Reflective writing is something we are forced to do in our study, and it gets really boring because you always have to have a problem, even when everything is alright. I reflect on situations by just talking about it. If I have irrealistic thoughts and I am aware of that, I turn it around.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
What's hard about dealing with cancer patients?
You've completely misunderstood what i said. I'm simply giving an outline of the work i do - whether its oncology, elderly or mental health - i'd like to develop my confidence. That doesn't mean i'm saying it's hard and that i'm being melodramatic- it just means that i've identified areas that i'd like to improve upon.

I can imagine reflective writing being boring if you have to do it in a certain format. I'm referring to reflective writing which is just for me to look at, for personal use.

Anyway, i'm looking for replies from folk who may have some positive suggestions.

Thanks.