DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-02-2009, 02:40 AM

Default Cheaper substitute for drum rack tubes?

Hi all,

I'm looking for around 7 ft long drum rack tubing, which none of the manufacturers make. DW makes 6 ft.

I even went to a local metal shop to find this, but they didn't have the right O.D. so it is proving very difficult. So far drum rack tubes are the only ones I've found that are 1 1/2 inch O.D. I'm building a workstation and the bracket my monitor arm sits on will only fit 1 1/2 OD tubing like, luckily for me, drum rack tubes. The problem is that new they're way too pricey, and it's impossible to find used 6 ft tubes, plus I'd prefer 7 ft if I can find it somewhere and cut it.

Is there a substitute out there you can use without having to buy it from the manufacturers? I like the chrome, but the main thing is that I find something the bracket will fit on, thanks!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cheaper substitute for drum rack tubes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Break Sculpture View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for around 7 ft long drum rack tubing, which none of the manufacturers make. DW makes 6 ft.

I even went to a local metal shop to find this, but they didn't have the right O.D. so it is proving very difficult. So far drum rack tubes are the only ones I've found that are 1 1/2 inch O.D. I'm building a workstation and the bracket my monitor arm sits on will only fit 1 1/2 OD tubing like, luckily for me, drum rack tubes. The problem is that new they're way too pricey, and it's impossible to find used 6 ft tubes, plus I'd prefer 7 ft if I can find it somewhere and cut it.

Is there a substitute out there you can use without having to buy it from the manufacturers? I like the chrome, but the main thing is that I find something the bracket will fit on, thanks!!!
If you find one, please let us know.

You've priced chrome tubing, ornamental stainless, etc. right? Most dealers will only sell tubing in 10 or 20' lengths, though they could easily cut it.

Its cheaper to buy a rack complete than piece one together. They've got you by the balls on this one, even though it seems possible.

A computer work station? Try finding some bamboo (which would also make a nice drum rack). Rope it together.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Hydraulic tubing.

Although 1-1/2 isn't common, at very least you check to see if any hydraulic supply shops have some kicking around, might end up being more expensive at list price, but if you can find a shop that has a cut piece, they may be happy to get rid of it for less.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:13 PM

I once saw a guy that used galvanizied fence post as a rack...it actually looked really cool...they are really cheap and sturdy....I dont know if 1-1/2 is a standard post size or if he had his special made....the fence post is like what you would see supporting a chain link fence....he used all gibraltar clamps
Old 05-14-2009, 07:14 PM

ps..... you can find it at any home depot or lowes
Old 05-14-2009, 07:26 PM

I found a web site discount fence.... http://www.fence-material.com/fepochliga.html......It says the O.D. is 1-5/8......That would probably work with Gibby clamps
Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicotine25 View Post
I found a web site discount fence.... http://www.fence-material.com/fepochliga.html......It says the O.D. is 1-5/8......That would probably work with Gibby clamps
There could be some variation and I suspect drum rack clamps have a narrow range of adjustment. I would try a sample if possible or ask the company for a very precise measurement before buying anything.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:28 PM

You could build one yourself (Or maybe with some help). Get some solid oak boards or something that is fairly strong to take clamp abuse. If you know a woodworker that has a nice lathe you could get them to round off the board to a round post, make some legs, fittings, etc. Voila! Insta-rack. Then you could even custom stain it to match your kit.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:23 PM

I used to have a gibraltar rack....The clamps will not accepct anything smaller than 1-1/2 but because the fence post is only 1//8" bigger there should not be a problem if anything it will make the clamp tighter than normal....if you have a gibby clamp just take it to a home depot and try it out on one of the fence posts....they are a standard size anywhere....if it doesnt work dont buy the fence post.....