DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-01-2009, 08:02 PM

Default Pearl Optimount question

I am going to try an optimount on the tom of my '66 Slingerlands instead of using a snare stand and I need someone to confirm that the sizing of these mounts is based on the drums depth & not the diameter.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...tem?sku=448755

Also, any feedback on whether this will work or first hand knowledge of the mount would be awesome as well. Thanks..!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Pearl Optimount question

The Optimount models are differentiated according to their depth, BUT: you have to make sure that a given depth also meets the requirements with regard to diameter and number of lugs on the drum. They do not fit every drum ever made.
Here are the depths of each optimount model.

Mount..................Depth

OPT-0708.............7-8"
OPT-0910.............9-10"
OPT-1112.............11-12"
OPT-1314.............13-14"
OPT-1516.............15-16"

Now here are the diameter/lug configurations that they fit:

Diameter.....Number of lugs

8"..............5
10"............6
12"............6
13"............6
14"............8
15"............8
16"............8

Optis can also be bent to fit 8" 4-lug toms and 14" 6-lug toms. I have done so with an 8" 4-lug tom and it works fine. I would never suspend a floor tom, so I don't have personal experience there but have heard that it works with 14s as well.

If your drums do not meet these size/lug criteria, be sure you have a good return policy.

*Installation*

Optimounts do not come with written instructions--just pictograms on the box. The pictograms are a bit misleading.

An Optimount consists of two pieces that slide to accomodate the different depths it accomodates, and the two pieces are secured with two screws having drum-key heads.

The pictograms suggest that once the mount is on the drum you should push the two pieces together tightly over the lugs before you tighten the two screws. But you will get better results (more sustain/resonance) if you do not press them tightly together--instead, leave a little slack, say 1/8-1/4". (That is, you can move the mount up and down on the tension rods by that much.) This is the way the Pearl guys install them at shows.

Finally, the standard fitting on the mount fits a 7/8" tube, standard for Pearl tom holders. But if you take off this fitting you will find that the mount itself is drilled in such a way that other kinds of tom holders may fit, too.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Wait, you're installing optimouts but mounting them on snare stands?
Old 05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshisaces View Post
Wait, you're installing optimouts but mounting them on snare stands?
"I am going to try an optimount on the tom of my '66 Slingerlands instead of using a snare stand"
Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator

instead of using a snare stand
Old 05-01-2009, 09:34 PM

Drumtechdad, that was VERY informative & I really appreciate the effort to type that out for me. I'll be sure to make certain it will work before buying it. Many thanks...!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
"I am going to try an optimount on the tom of my '66 Slingerlands instead of using a snare stand"
Oh, sorry
Old 05-01-2009, 09:56 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
The Optimount models are differentiated according to their depth, BUT: you have to make sure that a given depth also meets the requirements with regard to diameter and number of lugs on the drum. They do not fit every drum ever made.
Here are the depths of each optimount model.

Mount..................Depth

OPT-0708.............7-8"
OPT-0910.............9-10"
OPT-1112.............11-12"
OPT-1314.............13-14"
OPT-1516.............15-16"

Now here are the diameter/lug configurations that they fit:

Diameter.....Number of lugs

8"..............5
10"............6
12"............6
13"............6
14"............8
15"............8
16"............8

Optis can also be bent to fit 8" 4-lug toms and 14" 6-lug toms. I have done so with an 8" 4-lug tom and it works fine. I would never suspend a floor tom, so I don't have personal experience there but have heard that it works with 14s as well.

If your drums do not meet these size/lug criteria, be sure you have a good return policy.

*Installation*

Optimounts do not come with written instructions--just pictograms on the box. The pictograms are a bit misleading.

An Optimount consists of two pieces that slide to accomodate the different depths it accomodates, and the two pieces are secured with two screws having drum-key heads.

The pictograms suggest that once the mount is on the drum you should push the two pieces together tightly over the lugs before you tighten the two screws. But you will get better results (more sustain/resonance) if you do not press them tightly together--instead, leave a little slack, say 1/8-1/4". (That is, you can move the mount up and down on the tension rods by that much.) This is the way the Pearl guys install them at shows.

Finally, the standard fitting on the mount fits a 7/8" tube, standard for Pearl tom holders. But if you take off this fitting you will find that the mount itself is drilled in such a way that other kinds of tom holders may fit, too.
It's posts like these that makes this such a great place. This gets my vote for the most helpful post of the day. You couldn't get advice this good from many places, drum shops included
Old 05-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherbaker View Post
Drumtechdad, that was VERY informative & I really appreciate the effort to type that out for me. I'll be sure to make certain it will work before buying it. Many thanks...!
You're quite welcome.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:49 AM
Gold Member

All that said, have you thought about maybe just using a Gauger RIMS mount with the Pearl tom bracket attached? I'm doing this on several sets and have had nothing but good results... I know there are a few people that have had bad experiences with Pearl's mounting hardware on here. Although I'm not one of them, for my own use I would much rather use the Gauger RIMS mount.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:55 AM

Quote:
You're quite welcome.
Nice work mate- always good to read what a man of experiance writes- Nice post!
Regards H
Old 05-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer View Post
All that said, have you thought about maybe just using a Gauger RIMS mount with the Pearl tom bracket attached? I'm doing this on several sets and have had nothing but good results... I know there are a few people that have had bad experiences with Pearl's mounting hardware on here. Although I'm not one of them, for my own use I would much rather use the Gauger RIMS mount.
To my ear, the RIMS type mounts do give more sustain than the optimounts. The Gauger mounts themselves are pretty darn expensive, and IMO look awful. There are alternatives that work the same way for a lot less money though.

I have had no bad experiences with Pearl hardware, ever.

One of the things I like about the optimounts is that the toms do not bounce, as they can with some RIMS type mounts. I have a hard enough time hitting my target without having the target moving on me! But that's just me. The optimount is solid and the drums stay put, and to me that's worth a smidgen of sustain.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:13 PM

I have also heard that the RIMS type mount can damage the rim a bit. Not sure if there's any truth to it though....