DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-04-2009, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Drum thrones (stools to those with dirty minds)

On a tractor or motorcycle the 'tractor' seat is great, so it must also be ok for the drums as DMC points out. I just wonder how comfortable we need to be. When broke and without a seat I once chopped down the legs of a kitchen (or?) stool and ended up sitting on a plank of bone wracking plywood covered with about an inch of crappy squishy foam. Ya' know what? I never gave the lack of 'comfort' a second thought. It was all about the rock and roll and I could've just as well been standing on my feet or sitting on a slab of granite. However, that being said this is 2009 and a time when comfort and convienience seems paramount to all we do, so dig deep in them pockets boy and buy what feels like your own personal launching pad, a place that'll enable you to interpret and express yourself without the distraction of 'discomfort'.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheruff View Post
On a tractor or motorcycle the 'tractor' seat is great, so it must also be ok for the drums as DMC points out. I just wonder how comfortable we need to be. When broke and without a seat I once chopped down the legs of a kitchen (or?) stool and ended up sitting on a plank of bone wracking plywood covered with about an inch of crappy squishy foam. Ya' know what? I never gave the lack of 'comfort' a second thought. It was all about the rock and roll and I could've just as well been standing on my feet or sitting on a slab of granite. However, that being said this is 2009 and a time when comfort and convienience seems paramount to all we do, so dig deep in them pockets boy and buy what feels like your own personal launching pad, a place that'll enable you to interpret and express yourself without the distraction of 'discomfort'.
In a lot of cases, playing musical instruments is hard on the body; there is even a specialty in physical therapy to help musicians and drummers. Music involves many hours in unnatural positions, focusing great demands on a few select muscle groups in repetitive ways they were not intended to be used.

Our bodies are very adaptable and many people play all sorts of instruments injury-free. A comfortable throne is literally the foundation for your comfort and safety. Everyone is a little different, also. Someone could play on a slab or rock every night for an entire career and suffer nothing, while others could injure the backs in a few hours of practice without a well-padded seat, even if they used impeccable technique.

Before this turns into a chops-vs.-groove debate I want to say that good technique is central to avoiding injury. Equipment is secondary but man, it sure is nice to have equipment that can work with you to help avoid injury.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 PM

I have a DW (9620?) with a tractor seat. The seat itself is hard but very comfortable. I just don't like the way the locking collar holds the support rod in place. It's really wobbly. I have a cheaper Pacific throne and it is the same way.

Paid over $135 for the DW but only because they sold the Roc-n-Soc I wanted before I could get back to the store with the cash.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skacatz View Post
I have a DW (9620?) with a tractor seat. The seat itself is hard but very comfortable. I just don't like the way the locking collar holds the support rod in place. It's really wobbly. I have a cheaper Pacific throne and it is the same way.

Paid over $135 for the DW but only because they sold the Roc-n-Soc I wanted before I could get back to the store with the cash.
I used to use a milk can with a piece of foam on it. Yeah, I did for YEARS, but . . .

I now have a Roc-N-Soc. Even those who are in the medical business will tell you that it's not ALL about comfort, it's about support and posture. You will eventually get aches and pains without it, and could possibly hurt your body serious le due to the repeated motion through the years wearing on your body.

It seriously PAYS to have a proper throne.

Thrones are for drummers, stools are something others push in.
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM

You guys point out the truth noting the throne needs to offer the support so necessary for what we do, as did my kitchen 'stool' (I just can't bring myself to consider that chopped down apparatise a throne). My point was meant to be philisophical in nature and only in reference to the several remarks regarding how comfey and cushy the thrones have become and which was best to address that point.

I guess I've been fortunate and have never suffered any discomforts due to lack of support. It would seem those challenged with the common aches and pains getting older are especially heartened that todays innovative markets are addressing those needs and offering the high quality products we have access to. I wonder what Buddy or Cozy might say about this. Would they have sat on a milkcan??? LOL... I love that one!
Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 PM

I'll put in a vote for these guys -

http://www.soundseat.com/models.html

solid and comfortable as he!! - the only downside is it's a little tough to pack and carry.

fwiw - I've also got a 35 year old Rogers Samson throne that is bomb-proof, but not nearly as comfy as the SoundSeat.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

In my opinion, Pearl makes some of the overall best hardware. Here is there top of the line throne. Give it a look

http://www.pearldrum.com/products/ha.../d-2000br.aspx
Old 06-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Silver Member

Tama, Pearl, Blah, blah, blah, WHO CARES!!

For every one who says one company is best, another will renounce it and tout HIS favorite, that's not the issue, the issue is the FACT that your body will be better off on a throne with support, especially if you play regularly.

all 3 of the Rock-N-Soc thrones I bought were USED, I never paid more than $30 bucks for 'em and they were just the seat part and the clamp underneath. You can almost ALWAYS find some kind of throne bottom in the "junk" bin at your local music emporium for 5 to 10 bucks.

I'm sure all of you in need could approximate the same deal with a little time and effort. Sometimes they're BRAND NEW. But they go cheap as really, what ELSE will the store do with 'em??
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 07-09-2009, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a throne I sat on recently. Its a 'Stadium' bicycle-shaped little number.

Little as in its 'little'... smaller than normal sized throne tops. The effect was surprising. The smallness of the top provided support where I need it and no support where I like it.

My Tama Ergo top for example measures 17.5" wide X 14" front to back (first generation Ergo 18" X 15"). The Stadium is smaller 14" wide ad 12" aft to stern, with a nice ridge running across the back.

My bottom was cupped firmly, while the uppermost portion of my legs were free to move. No more sitting on the front of the throne to get unrestricted leg movement, the smaller size works. It made me realize regular/large size thrones equal less support on the rear and too much support under the thighs. Its why you see yourself and other drummers sitting on the edge of their thrones.

This is a China made piece from a Korean company. The seat bracket is cheap pot metal and not acceptable in the least. I would replace the seat-bracket with something stronger and just use the top on a quality base.

The seat covering material seemed pretty stout and the foam is on the hard side, which I like and would guess this firmness adds to the overall feeling of being well supported, not just cushioned.

The base is lacking quality in a few places also, namely the insulator bushings. The height adjusting tube is just that-a tube with a memory lock and tube is on the thin side.

If you're large in the bottom, this throne may be too small, but if you're small-normal, you may want to give the Stadium triangle throne a sit should you see one at a shop. I found it enlightening and came to the realization that smaller just may be better for a throne top. This little thrones got my back.
Attached Images

Last edited by Les Ismore; 07-09-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:19 PM

I am tired of my butt getting sore sitting on the cheapo throne that I have. I am considering the Roc N Soc and the Pearl D-2000. Any thoughts on one versus the other? Thanks.