DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-18-2009, 03:02 PM

Default Anyone plays mallet percussion?

If yes, can you give me some advices about what is the best vibraphone and marimba for initiation, because I have a low budget :/
Thank you
Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anyone plays mallet percussion?

The best way to go, if you are looking for a quality concert instrument that you won't have to upgrade would be to look for a used Musser One Niter vibraphone or a Musser M250 marimba. As long as there's no structural or tuning problems, these will be the instruments you will keep and use for a lifetime.

If you HAVE to buy new, then I might consider going with Ross instruments, as they are middle-of-the-road in quality. They have some nice features and an okay sound, but you'll eventually want to upgrade, especially if you're going to be playing in symphonies or percussion ensembles...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 04-28-2009, 06:28 PM

I agree on the Ross. I had one and loved it's sound, etc. (I had graduated bars too). The problem I was having was portability. Those are built very stout, but also very heavy and awkward to move every week. I played a very small set that I had at work some and it was SO easy to move. I guess what I'm saying is before you buy something, think of how you'll be using it. If you will move it lots, look for something more portable that's made for lots of lugging around. If not, then I would look into what you think will sound the best and not worry so much about portablity.
The Ross set I had sounded great, looked great as well. (by the way it was vibes, not marimba). I did have some problems with the pedal, but they were easily resolved. The bars sounded fantastic though. I'd like to have another set, aw well maybe someday.

Hope this helps any,
Melinda
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 PM

Thank you for helpinh me :)