DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 AM

Default My Pearl Demon Drive Double Bass Pedal Review **Pics Included**

Well I was pleasantly surprised today when I went to pick up my new Roland SPD-S from Sam Ash: They had the Demon Drive!
I tried it out in store and the guy told me that I could bring it back in 45 day and get a full refund so I figured, what the heck, I'll try it! Now in the stores I tried the single pedal but I purchased the double because that's what I play (usually for fills, occasionally for metal).

So I bring it home and after 10 minutes of basic assembly, they are ready to go. I stick them on in place of my 3 year old Tama Iron Cobras and I look to see if there are any quick adjustments that need to be made.

Once I begin playing, I notice that both are EXTREMELY fast. You will practically fly on these bad boys. That said, I noticed that my left foot was slacking a little so I changed some of the settings to fit my needs.

Now keep in mind that these are currently in shortboard mode.

After getting an imbalanced feel I tampered with them for another 20 minutes trying to figure out what the problem was. I'm pretty sure that it was just me, but for some reason, they just didn't feel "right". Maybe I'm just used to the old slack and chain effect and have become accustomed to that and that's why it doesn't feel right but whatever; I decide to switch to longboard.

Holy crap. One of the main features of the pedal is the easy transition from Short to Long board (as if somebody is going to keep switching back and forth, right?) and while it is easy, it does take a decent amount of time because of the sheer amount of screwing in and out of 2 different kinds of screws, but hey, I've gotta complain about something.

Once they are in place and I adjust the settings again, the pedal is pure bliss. It is almost like walking on air. The pedal goes super fast because of the direct drive and almost to the point of losing control of the pedal! While I can't say (yet) whether it is or is not "better" than the chain link I previously owned, it really cannot be compared.

I have tried Axis longboards and there is quite a difference between the two.
In my opinion, both have a significantly different feel to them, and although I have not played them for more than 4 hours yet, I do like them more than the Axis I had previously tried: they simply have a better feel and there are more settings that are customizable to anybodies preference. Now the general consensus here is that the Trick Bigfoot pedals are the best direct link pedals out on the market right not, and I have not tried them yet, so I cannot judge them against the DD.

Pros-
Nearly infinitely customizable settings
Both a short and long board pedal
Easy to adjust
Comes with nice carry case

Cons-
Hefty price tag may deter buyers
Takes time to get used to the direct drive, the speed, and the control of the pedal
Essentially rips off of the ideas of other competitors (executes them better though)

Final Verdict: Try the pedal before you buy it because it has a VERY different feel than pedals that you are probably used to, especially if this is your first direct link pedal or even your first double bass pedal

I will upload pictures of the pedal, case, contents, and setup as soon as I get my camera working (and will probably edit this post with more info)

Hope this helps with your decision on the Pearl Demon Drive Pedal
Old 04-12-2009, 01:26 AM

Default Re: My Pearl Demon Drive Double Bass Pedal Review **Pics Included**

Hope this works! Enjoy!
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2009, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the pics and review. I'm currently debating between the Axis and the Trick Dominator but I may have to add this one to list of current possibilities. Pretty hefty price though.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the single DD can't be converted to a double later on right? That's one thing I like about the Axis and Trick.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. Sweet name by the way (my favorite band). How did you get your hands on them so early anyway? What Sam Ash did you go to?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
And correct me if I'm wrong, but the single DD can't be converted to a double later on right? That's one thing I like about the Axis and Trick.

Correct. This is a major problem many will have with this pedal. The single cannot be upgraded to a double, and I am unsure if the double can be separated into 2 individual pedals.
It's kind of a drag considering the amount of money they are charging you for.

Oh, and I went to the one in Huntington, New York. That's the closest one near me.
They only had 2 in-stock: one singe and one double

Last edited by Muse FTW; 04-12-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: incorrect information
Old 04-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

I can't imagine pay that much for a double pedal.

But ever since trying them at NAMM, I can't stop thinking about buying them.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:46 PM

to Pavlos

I'm sure i read on a similar forum that the DD DOES convert to 2 singles.
hmm...

Ray
HAKEN
www.myspace.com/hakenmusic

p.s. love muse too of course!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray - HAKEN View Post
to Pavlos

I'm sure i read on a similar forum that the DD DOES convert to 2 singles.
hmm...

Ray
HAKEN
www.myspace.com/hakenmusic

p.s. love muse too of course!
Yeah u can go from a double to 2 singles but not from a single to double
Old 04-14-2009, 09:14 PM

Ok. So you can't start with a single and upgrade later like with Axis and Trick. Thanks for the info
Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Silver Member

One cool thing that has been rarely brushed on, your demon comes with a carrying case. You'd think for $700+ my Trick bigfoot would have one too. I don't even know if they make one for it. My DW 9000 had a nice hardcase. So did my $300 cobras.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
One cool thing that has been rarely brushed on, your demon comes with a carrying case. You'd think for $700+ my Trick bigfoot would have one too. I don't even know if they make one for it. My DW 9000 had a nice hardcase. So did my $300 cobras.
No the Tricks dont come w a case. If that cardboard thing where they come in is suppose to be the case shame on Trick. For the $$$$ they can do way better. Also the beater and the velcro under the base m.... not very efficient
Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Senior Consultant

I'm getting mine tomorrow. Stoked.

I'm going to try and spend the next month evaluating the Pearls against the Longboards in my new studio with a few different projects I'm working on. When I get my Tricks back from repair, they face the winner!

This is all hobby-ish fun, gearhead stuff to me. It's like comparing a Porsche against a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. They're all great and, in the end, it's probably a matter of feel and personal preference.nd
Old 04-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Thank you very much for your review and photos! Very much appreciated!

I have been playing Axis Longboards for a few years and switched to Trick Pro-1V big foot six months ago. Both amazing, Trick is naturally one step above because it came out years later and knew what to correct..

Now with both of the above you can convert them easily to two singles (which is great for me as I use 2 bass drums).

Pearl hasn't come clean on this and I think it's because the pearl demon drive is not meant to be converted to two singles.
Can it be done? Perhaps the owners can tell us and maybe it can be done with some modifications and the proper tools, not sure though.

Personally, I find it very weird to pay 650$ for a double pedal and cannot convert it into two singles if I want.

With all that being said, I'd love to try the demon drive and maybe even get one.

thanks again for the review!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko901 View Post

Pearl hasn't come clean on this and I think it's because the pearl demon drive is not meant to be converted to two singles.
Can it be done? Perhaps the owners can tell us and maybe it can be done with some modifications and the proper tools, not sure though.

Personally, I find it very weird to pay 650$ for a double pedal and cannot convert it into two singles if I want.

With all that being said, I'd love to try the demon drive and maybe even get one.

thanks again for the review!
Yeah u can go from a double to singles. What u cant do is go from single to double. Info already mentioned a few posts down
Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 PM

Hey there, Muse. I read the specs for this pedal and it mentions an adjustable traction plate, what's up with that? That disc on the footboard doesn't look very traction friendly.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendecahedron View Post
Hey there, Muse. I read the specs for this pedal and it mentions an adjustable traction plate, what's up with that? That disc on the footboard doesn't look very traction friendly.
The traction plate basically unscrews from the back and you can turn it which ever direction you please, and while it isn't very traction friendly, the orange circles can be removed and I guess they could be replaced with the (rubber?) ones from the eliminator to improve traction.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:33 PM

Cool enough. I'm growing in excitement about these pedals, and since I'm looking to upgrade from my old IC and cheapo Pearl 122 pedals, these are fast becoming a viable option, being the only "problem" that I have to save for a little while to get'em, but that is true for any pedal brand I might decide on. Thanks for the info, Muse
Old 04-16-2009, 07:36 PM

I JUST WANTED TO CORRECT SOME INFORMATION I POSTED EARLIER!!!

I talked to Al Rep from Pearl in regards to the switching of a Single Pedal on the Demon Drive to a Double, and this was the answer I quote...
"We have a P3001D DD drive conversion kit w/case that converts your single into a double."

So it is possible to go from Single to Double as Axis or Trick

Lastly on the traction topic of the pedal, the oval shape on the board is good enough but if u wanted to add rubber where the orange circles r u can (as mentioned it will be from the rubbers used on the eliminators)
Old 04-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybridt@vo View Post
So it is possible to go from Single to Double as Axis or Trick
Not exactly true. With Axis or Trick, you can buy two standard single pedals and then buy the connecting rod and slave beater assembly to make a double pedal. With all Pearl pedals, you need a special main pedal with two beater holders, while the standard single can only be used as a slave pedal.

On the other hand, it is possible to convert a double into two singles, though the beater holder assembly would either have to be moved from the main to the slave, or a new assembly would have to be bought to be placed on the slave side. Also, the spring assembly would have to be moved from the main to the slave side.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 AM
Christ-Hammer

I tried the DD at GC today and I have to say it was nice, but it didn't ultimately enhance my playing or anything like they make it out to do. I would upgrade to it from my eliminators if I had a ton of cash to blow, but it isn't something I would save for as a first upgrade. Nonetheless it did give me a few extra beats with my playing, but again not significant.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:30 AM

I just bought a Axis X double pedal, how would it compare to the the Demon Drive?
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse FTW View Post
Hope this works! Enjoy!
That is a thing of beauty- simply stunning- I would so love to get my hands on one of them!
I have never tried a direct drive of any sorts, but if I would it would have to be that model- it looks well made and that it would stand the test of time on the road.

I hope you have a great time with it-superb choice!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Gold Member

I was excited about these pedals at NAMM, but after closer inspection at my drum store was less impressed. There are many cast parts on it with more tolerence than the all CNC machined Axis and Trick pedals. The pearl demon pedals have play in the hinge and play in the upper axle for the beater shaft. Those other two brands and DW as well don't have that play.

That said I do like the longboard conversion option is neat and the pedals feel good. At that price though I'd personally want or expect an all CNC machined work of art.
billbachman.net
Old 05-05-2009, 11:14 PM

I just ordered MY DD today.

I have all pearl hardware including a powershifter eliminator double pedal that I've had since they first came out about 4 years ago. I love the eliminator but I've been wanting a long board direct drive for a while now, but was afraid to part with the cash in case I didn't like it.

With the DD,I can always switch back to standard length if it's too weird or something.

Anyway I had to tell somebody because I can't tell my wife..... she'll cut my nuts off. ;-) if she finds out.

BTW: I got a great deal on it with a 10% off coupon. Cost me $584 out the door, from an internet vendor.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalky View Post
Anyway I had to tell somebody because I can't tell my wife..... she'll cut my nuts off. ;-) if she finds out.

BTW: I got a great deal on it with a 10% off coupon. Cost me $584 out the door, from an internet vendor.
1. Hide all the knives then start jamming.
2. And this internet vendor would be? That's a good price.

I just tried a single DD out and really liked it.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...019#post572019

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 PM

I wasn't sure if giving the sites name is permitted here, so I didn't. There's also a coupon code required, and I'm almost positive that is against the rules.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 AM

This looks like a pretty good pedal. I read an article about it in a magizine and I heard they use the best skateboard bearings on it. I really want to upgrade to this and not just because I'm convinced my dad bought my double pedal for about 60 bucks.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muse FTW View Post
Correct. This is a major problem many will have with this pedal. The single cannot be upgraded to a double, and I am unsure if the double can be separated into 2 individual pedals.
It's kind of a drag considering the amount of money they are charging you for.

Oh, and I went to the one in Huntington, New York. That's the closest one near me.
They only had 2 in-stock: one singe and one double
It doesn't appear by this photo of the slave that it can also be made into a single.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2009, 01:19 AM

I posted this in another thread. I'm still a little confused as to how the conversion pedal will work with a single.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlos View Post
Well here is something interesting. The Pearl DD conversion pedal is listed from Memphis Drum shop on Ebay with a buy it now of $400! Add that to the current price of a single and you're talking well over $700, right into Trick Pro1V territory. This makes buying the double at $650 (or maybe less with discounts) more attractive vs the Trick double which is about $740.

It looks like if you got the single and then bought this double conversion, the single you had would end up being the slave pedal. I think.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Demon-Driv...3A1%7C294%3A50

Look Mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:25 AM

I bought the single demon drive pedal because;
1. I did research and I found you can convert from single to double.
2. I am just starting to play again after a long absence and buying the double is too much right now for me.
3. I also selected the Pearl Demon drive because it was very hard to find the Axis or the Trick to check them out. The stores had tons of DW, Gebralta, Yamaha, and Pearl pedals, but no high end pedals. It is amazing that Trick and Axis could not get their gear into Guitar Center or Sam Ash to demonstrate for the user.

I have had my Demon Drive for about 2 weeks now, and love it. It is the best pedal I have owned. I was looking for a long board, direct drive pedal, and that is what my Demon Drive is now.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_machine View Post
I bought the single demon drive pedal because;
1. I did research and I found you can convert from single to double.
2. I am just starting to play again after a long absence and buying the double is too much right now for me.
3. I also selected the Pearl Demon drive because it was very hard to find the Axis or the Trick to check them out. The stores had tons of DW, Gebralta, Yamaha, and Pearl pedals, but no high end pedals. It is amazing that Trick and Axis could not get their gear into Guitar Center or Sam Ash to demonstrate for the user.

I have had my Demon Drive for about 2 weeks now, and love it. It is the best pedal I have owned. I was looking for a long board, direct drive pedal, and that is what my Demon Drive is now.
I cannot speak for Axis but I know Trick is a very small company that does not have the market presence to get it's pedals in stores like GC and Sam Ash for other than special orders. I was lucky to FINALLY come across one in my Sam Ash and I ordered it through a friend. I love it.

The Pearl pedal is great also though. Congrats on the purchase.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
It doesn't appear by this photo of the slave that it can also be made into a single.
wow what terribly misleading information, as its just been stated that the pedal CAN be changed from double to single. it takes a few minutes, but its definitely easily done, i've done it myself on the pedal in our shop...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBachman View Post
I was excited about these pedals at NAMM, but after closer inspection at my drum store was less impressed. There are many cast parts on it with more tolerence than the all CNC machined Axis and Trick pedals. The pearl demon pedals have play in the hinge and play in the upper axle for the beater shaft. Those other two brands and DW as well don't have that play.

That said I do like the longboard conversion option is neat and the pedals feel good. At that price though I'd personally want or expect an all CNC machined work of art.
what do you mean by play? how the linkage isn't always exact? cause the spherical bearings are def gonna feel different than the straight ones use in other Direct drive systems
Old 05-07-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBachman View Post

The Pearl does have a lot of Die Cast parts, but there are no problems, with using them. There are no significant tensile, compression or elastic property differences using Die Cast on these pedals. There is no heat on the pedal other then your feet, and you as a drummer will not use the force necessary to break the aluminum.

Using Die Cast does require a significant investment in the tooling prior to manufacturing. This is something a large company like Pearl can do easier then Trick or Axis. Also, when a tighter tolerance is needed, the Die Cast is machined.

As a mechanical engineer I have worked projects that were at both levels of productions. The Pearl level will reduce its price by selling more to offset the cost of the Dies. The Axis and Trick level does not reduce the price too much by large quantities.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
surely, judging by that picture, it can convert into a single pedal?

there is a latch under the pedal board to conect to a bass drum, and from other pictures i've seen (you can't see it on that) there's a bit sticking out on the right of the upright frame which would seem to accomodate the spring tension system.

i don't know though, and no one else seems to be sure...
Old 06-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swol335i View Post
I cannot speak for Axis but I know Trick is a very small company that does not have the market presence to get it's pedals in stores like GC and Sam Ash for other than special orders. I was lucky to FINALLY come across one in my Sam Ash and I ordered it through a friend. I love it.

The Pearl pedal is great also though. Congrats on the purchase.
Axis is a small time operation, they sell every pedal they produce and cannot keep-up with demand. That's the reason you don't see them in the stores, they're sold sight-unseen weeks/months/years in advance.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:16 PM

I am thinking of buying this pedal...but my sort of teacher somehow redirected me and now I want to play single,but the double bass pulls me to itself somehow and now I would like to buy a new longboard double,but I have no money...so please can anyone prefer a good pedal, that is longboard that I can buy in single "mode" and after sometime buy another one and a shaft and connect them to a double...I hope you understood me because I am from Croatia and my english is well but not very well...xD
Old 07-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Unfortunately I cannot think of any value longboard pedals, Omen. If you look second hand, you might be able to find some Axis Longboard pedals going for a lot less than retail, but it would be hard to find.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omen View Post
I am thinking of buying this pedal...but my sort of teacher somehow redirected me and now I want to play single,but the double bass pulls me to itself somehow and now I would like to buy a new longboard double,but I have no money...so please can anyone prefer a good pedal, that is longboard that I can buy in single "mode" and after sometime buy another one and a shaft and connect them to a double...I hope you understood me because I am from Croatia and my english is well but not very well...xD
Buying single then going double will usually be more costly. Its doubtful prices are going to go down in the future. You say you're thinking about Demon Drive Twin, which is big money, but teacher redirected you to single.

You've waited this long, keep using what you've got and save, save, save for the pedal you really want. What happens more times than not is, once you get that dream piece of gear, the money you spent on it becomes inconsequential/meaningless.

If its a great piece of gear, some people feel 'at ease' knowing it doesn't get any better (for a little while anyway) and they now have a high-value sellable piece of gear if they ever want to upgrade in the future.

Some drummers think of it as 'leasing/renting' and look at the trade-in value down the road, high end is always better.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Buying single then going double will usually be more costly. Its doubtful prices are going to go down in the future. You say you're thinking about Demon Drive Twin, which is big money, but teacher redirected you to single.

You've waited this long, keep using what you've got and save, save, save for the pedal you really want. What happens more times than not is, once you get that dream piece of gear, the money you spent on it becomes inconsequential/meaningless.

If its a great piece of gear, some people feel 'at ease' knowing it doesn't get any better (for a little while anyway) and they now have a high-value sellable piece of gear if they ever want to upgrade in the future.

Some drummers think of it as 'leasing/renting' and look at the trade-in value down the road, high end is always better.
Ok...thank you so much...now I play DW 4000 double...and I am satisfied with it,but not how I think I should be...oh, and btw...when I said I dont have the money to buy the pedal it was becuse of the prices in croatia...here is a sample...twin demon drive in croatia costs 5500 kunas(that is like 1020$), but in USA and some other countryes costs 700$...correct me if I am wrong...and the last thing: Can you guys tell how much I can get for my double pedal...It is one year old and I yesterday put new DW Factory Accessories Springs...I aprecciate your answers...
Old 08-16-2009, 03:48 PM

Just wanted to throw out there that the Yamaha Direct Drive pedals are really nice as well and are cheaper than Axis, Trick, Pearl DD.

They are at least worth a look. I really like the doubles I got and didn't think the Pearl DD was too different.

Not knocking any of the above mentioned ... just throwing out another option.