DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 PM

Default Need some advice on upgrading

Well i'm pretty new to drumming and I would like some help on upgrading my kit (Gretsch Blackhawk) I currently am still using the stock heads and have Sabian Solar cymbals. I have been looking at Remo Pinstripe heads as from what i've heard they are quite good apart from them being quite dead sounding (which I personally normally quite like) but any suggestions on any other heads or cymbals?

Cheers
Old 04-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Need some advice on upgrading

As far as cymbals go, it really matters on what brand you are interested in and how much yuou can spend. I'm a Paiste guy so I will reccomend the Paiste Alpha's being that they aren't a "pro line" BUT have "pro quality" and are reasonably priced. If this interest you, try to find some used before buying new.

As for heads, if you like a low or muffled sound, the Remo Pintripes will work. If you want to try evans, try the EC2's or the Hydraulics. From Aquarian, try the Performance 2's.

Now the Evans Hydraulics are very dead sounding and won't give a whole lot of volume. If you are playing in your house for your own enjoyment, this won't be a problem but in a live band situation, they won't cut thru the music very well unless you are mic'd.

The Performance 2's from Aquarian are also a dead sounding head. They are designed to sound this way just like the Hydraulics from Evans. The same applies to this head just the Hydraulic head. I like deep low sounds too. I use the Aquarian Performance 2's on my 14, 16 & 18 toms. They don't sound that well on smaller drums.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:25 AM

Thanks "wolfmoon" i'll definatly have a look at them Paiste cymbals but I was also wondering about bass drum pedals. I have been looking at the Tama Iron Cobra and Pearls Eliminator but im torn and would like some advice on which is best or if there is a better pedal out there for a similar price?

Thanks again
Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 AM

Everybody has their own alliances with bass pedals, and fortunately, most music stores will have at least one of each major brand's, so I'd just go check that out. As long as you get something of decent quality, you'll be ok I think. try different beaters too, oftentimes they'll change the entire feel of the pedal more than buying a different pedal would, from what I've found anyway.