DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-27-2009, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Evans G Plus, a superior resonant head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom Cloud View Post
Just to clarify gentlemen, a G1 and a Genera are both 10 mil. The Genera Reso is made of a slightly softer material.

I've been thinking of trying the clear G pluses as reso's under clear G2's. Anyone still using this combo with good results?

I experimented with EC2's as reso's for 3 days with not good results. They would be great in an all cement drum booth though.
The Genera is 7 mil. Softer plastic creates a better resonant head. The EC Resos, which are far more resonant than G1's, are 10 mil, but are made with a much softer plastic. G Pluses should make a good resonant head, but the softer plastic EC Reso might be more resonant.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:16 PM

Ok let me clear this up.

Thinnest to thickest:

Genera Resonant Glass/Black - 7mil ultra clear film
Genera Resonant = 10mil ultra clear film
Genera G1 = 10mil cloudy/hazy film
EC Resonant = 10mil ultra clear film
Genera GPlus = 12mil cloudy/hazy film
Old 12-28-2009, 01:45 AM

The Genera resonant is 10 mil with a softer material than a G1. http://store.daddario.com/category/1...enera_Resonant
Old 12-28-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroom Cloud View Post
The Genera resonant is 10 mil with a softer material than a G1. http://store.daddario.com/category/1...enera_Resonant
Genera resonants are 10 mil, but Genera black and glass are 7 mil.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Pioneer Member

The Genera Resonant heads, while as thick as the G1s are much brighter sounding, which sort of counteracts the whole warm, fat sustain you were going for in the first place. Regular G1s are the better of the two here. The EC Reso are supposed to give a warmer sound though. The Genera Glass are the thin ones, but again are the brighter sounding film. Less sustain, and brighter tone=thin sounding drums.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:06 PM

I get a good sound from Vintage E's/Reso Glass combo. Would like to try coated E's/coated A's, anyone try this combo?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:48 PM

I had a customer come in with a 12" Sonor 3005 tom. The drum was completely dead before (g2 coated over g1 clear) no matter how you tuned it, it just didn't sing out like 3005's usually do.

We ended up putting an ec2 coated over a g plus coated. the drum sounded amazing!! Really warm fat tone with excellent sustain (even though it was coated). Obviously the clear would have an even longer sustain but for the sound he wanted the coated was just perfect.

I would love to hear a gplus coated over a gplus coated for a nice warm super fat tone.

God Bless,

dxtr
Old 01-09-2010, 05:07 AM

Ok, I'm slightly confused. How would my toms sound with G2's over g plus? Do I have to use G1's instead?

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillgroovin View Post
Ok, I'm slightly confused. How would my toms sound with G2's over g plus? Do I have to use G1's instead?
No, you don't have to use G1s, but that's what most guys use, or any other 10mil clear single ply reso such as Remo Ambassadors.

Use the G-plus as a reso if you want to increase sustain. (More mass = more sustain, assuming the same number of plies.)

I use them to equalize the sustain among the toms. G1s go on the toms that sustain the most, G-pluses on the toms that sustain less.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:46 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I run G2's over G pluses and love the sound. I like to get maximum unmuffled sustain from every piece, but drumtechdads method is a good one if you don't like too much sustain
Old 01-09-2010, 05:05 PM

I am using coated heads. Do I have to use clear to get this reaction or will the G2 coated over g plus clear work as well.?

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 01-10-2010, 01:47 AM
"Uncle Larry"

The coated heads are a little warmer sounding, the clears give you more attack. I like the attack, but you may not. But the coated heads will work nicely if you like the coqated sound
Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 AM

Ok, I am now a believer!!! Went out and bought Gplus's for my 10 and 12 in toms and switched the batter heads to coated G1's. The toms sing like never before and believe me I have tried a lot of different resoheads. This combination is truly awesome!!!

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 01-11-2010, 02:57 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been following this thread closely; it seems like there are a lot of interesting things people have been trying out and with good results for them!

I want to replace my tom heads soon, so I thought I could get some advice here on head choices/combos. First off, my tom sizes are 12x9 rack and 16x16 floor. One thing that I want to work on when changing heads is getting more even resonance between these two drums. The 16 is so boomy, while the 12 is much more controlled; I don't like how they sound together at all.

So, from what I'm hearing on this discussion, I can use the resonant heads to even out the sustain. The sound I'm looking for overall is a warm sound with a lot of tone, a slightly focused attack, and good articulation. So, basically, a sound that when you hit the drum, you get a little attack and clear resonance without a lot of overtones in the way of the drum's fundamental note.

I'm thinking that on the 12x9 I would try a G1 over a G1 and on the 16x16 G1 over a G2? I would rather shorten the sustain on the 16 with a 2-ply head to match the resonance of the 12, than increase the sustain on the 12 with a G Plus or EC on the resonant side to equal the boom of the 16.

Anyone have any comments/suggestions/experiences or whatever to help achieve the sound I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillgroovin View Post
Ok, I am now a believer!!! Went out and bought Gplus's for my 10 and 12 in toms and switched the batter heads to coated G1's. The toms sing like never before and believe me I have tried a lot of different resoheads. This combination is truly awesome!!!
Yea man Evans heads are great. The G plus is the resonant head of choice for me. I used to be a Remo/Zildjian guy, but now if I had to choose, no contest Evans and Sabians.

I used to use clear G1's over clear G pluses, but went to clear G2's over what else G Pluses. Doommmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Yea man Evans heads are great. The G plus is the resonant head of choice for me. I used to be a Remo/Zildjian guy, but now if I had to choose, no contest Evans and Sabians.

I used to use clear G1's over clear G pluses, but went to clear G2's over what else G Pluses. Doommmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Try G1's over the pluses, WOW!!!! clean clear crisp articulate warm!!!!! I think I just peed my pants......damn.

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 01-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Gold Member

This is a great thread! I have two new kits on the way and was thinking about head choices.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Last year I purchased a set of Evans clear G Plus for use as batters. As you may or may not know, the G Pluses are a 12 mil film, where clear Ambassadors and G1's are a 10 mil film. So I changed to G Pluses on the batters over G1's and I took them to one gig. The G Pluses lacked the attack I like...When I hit my toms with the G Pluses, instead of hearing "Dooom", I heard "Oooom" So off they came.
So today, ever the tweaker, I decide that I want to try the G Pluses as reso heads. I've gathered here that a thicker head will vibrate longer and have a warmer sound than a thinner head.

That's exactly what the result was. My toms note sang noticeably longer, with definite added warmth. I like an open and lively completely unmuffled tom sound with a crisp stick attack. My toms with the G Pluses over the G1's are noticeably better sounding than the same tom with the G1's over the G1's. It kept the attack of the 10 mil film, but sang longer and warmer. I was very pleased with the improvement and the first thing I had to do was to say it here...G Plus Clears make superior sounding reso heads! I'd recommend giving them a try.
I've been using 2 ply heads on the bottom of floor toms for a deeper tone. It's an old trick.

Thin heads make drums sound thin. There's no way you can get a fat sound out of a thin head. At least I didn't.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

For accuracys sake, the G Plus is a single ply head. I guess next I should try G2's over G2's and see how THEY sound. I want the longest note possible, but not at the expense of crispness and attack. I'm very happy with my current setup, but will experiment further w/ G2's.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

Anyone have any opinions on G Plus as batters?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:46 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I didn't like them, because the attack was lost for me. Instead of Doom, it sounded like oom.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

I can see it's time to consider new heads for the kit.... (drool)
Old 03-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
I'd say it's because up until recently, a thicker single ply head wasn't available. Two ply reso heads aren't used much, but they really should sustain longer than a thinner head. I know I'm a convert to the G Pluses, and if the EC1's sustain longer than the G Pluses, then I'm using them (After peeling off the overtone rings of course)
I thought I would give EC1 over GPlus a go. But if I am to try it, I better hurry. Evans is discontinuing or has discontinued EC1, EC2, and the EC Reso. I think the only EC left will be the newish EC2SST whatachmacallit head.

Bummer.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:04 PM

Awesome Thread! My kit is mic'd from the inside and I'm using EC2s with Genera Resonants and it sounds thin and poppy. I'll try G Plus for reso next. It seems like a lot of you guys are using G1 for the batter. What styles do you play? I'm into progressive/hard rock so I don't want to lose articulation on fast fills. I haven't tried the new version of the EC2s yet. Should I stick with EC2s or you think G1 or G2 will sound better? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I'd say it's because up until recently, a thicker single ply head wasn't available. Two ply reso heads aren't used much, but they really should sustain longer than a thinner head. I know I'm a convert to the G Pluses, and if the EC1's sustain longer than the G Pluses, then I'm using them (After peeling off the overtone rings of course)
They won't sustain longer because they are two plies. The plies rubbing against each other removes sustain
Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 PM

Default Best thread EVER!!!!!

This has to be the best thread I have ever read! I've done some experimenting, but not much. I have a Gretsch Catalina Birch kit and wanted a warmer tone to the toms so I tried out the Remo Black Suedes as the batter which immediately warmed up the tone! I switched the reso's to G1 coated and liked what I was getting over the stock resos. Now I'm inclined to try the EC1's or the G Plus' to see what happens. I'm in the process of building a custom kit as well and have been struggling with which heads to use. I think I'm gonna try the Suedes with the EC1's. A friend of mine has that combo on his Pearl Masters and it sounds incredible. Let's see how it goes.

ride0
Old 04-12-2010, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Best thread EVER!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride0 View Post
This has to be the best thread I have ever read! I've done some experimenting, but not much. I have a Gretsch Catalina Birch kit and wanted a warmer tone to the toms so I tried out the Remo Black Suedes as the batter which immediately warmed up the tone! I switched the reso's to G1 coated and liked what I was getting over the stock resos. Now I'm inclined to try the EC1's or the G Plus' to see what happens. I'm in the process of building a custom kit as well and have been struggling with which heads to use. I think I'm gonna try the Suedes with the EC1's. A friend of mine has that combo on his Pearl Masters and it sounds incredible. Let's see how it goes.

ride0
Important point, were the suedes Dips, Ambs or Emps?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:02 PM

They are Ambassadors.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 PM

The suedes are a godsend. I prefer the white but they provide the sustain of clear heads with a bit more control over the abundant overtones found in clear hids while also providing the warmer tone of the coated head without the loss of sustain/resonance
Old 04-14-2010, 04:48 PM

Made a mistake.... they are Emps. Just ordered Black Suede Emps to go over the EC Resos. Can't wait to hear them!!!!