DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 AM

Default Brick of tone/weight matched sticks?

Does anyone know if this service is offered by any manufacture? I would buy 2 or three bricks if I knew I could get this... I been playing Vic Firths, but would be willing to switch suppliers for this. I watched a video on how Vic Firth sticks are made on Youtube, and they have a mixing table, where they place different weighted and pitched sticks of the same size/type into the same bundle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pL5E...rom=PL&index=7

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Brick of tone/weight matched sticks?

A brick or more of the same "exact" stick (pitch/weight) right?

I'd think you can make an order and request a batch in "as close to the same as possible" from what ever maker you like.

Since it is WOOD, each stick/pair is going to vary slightly (maybe as little as by the gram), and the actual diam is going to be slightly different with the continuous use of the blade or cutting stone.
The diam's aren't going to be off noticeably per stick (in a pair), but maybe within the whole batch.
The area of the log that the sticks are made is going to affect the sticks too.
One way to tell what you like best (feel/weight-wise) is to count the growth lines on the butt end. More, or less lines affect the feel & weight.
That way you can narrow it down when you order.

I used to buy Grover sticks, and they did pairs by the gram weight. That was a long time ago, and Grover sticks are now Silver Fox--which are really nice sticks too.

These days, VF, Pro-Mark, Vater etc...all use a computer weight/pitch type sorting, and if you keep the sticks in their little sleeve boxes until you use them, you'll have "a matched pair" when you grab them out of the bag.

I think the only way to get as close to the EXACT stick in each pair is to use a non-wood stick like Ahead or some other make available.

I used to be ultra picky about sticks, and would roll them on glass, pitch them and all that....custom maker sticks (--a few kinds too), I wanted "the" stick that was perfect for me.

But now, as long as they are reasonably straight, and the pitches are close, I'm good.
I'll just tap the stick on the bell, and use the higher pitched one in my right hand.
Having equal weight in each hand is cool (and the thing I like most), but as long as it's pretty close, I'm fine with it.

Over time I just figured the sticks are going to change because it's wood, and it was better for me to not get "too used too" this "one" thing, because nothing is exactly the same every time you order, so for me it was better to just "play" with what I had in my hands and not worry about it (read: go nuts over it).
I DO want things to feel..."familiar" and not totally off, but as long as it's close, that's the main thing.

Good luck getting your perfect pairs!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:20 AM

Thanks for the great reply!

I will have to give my local store a call and put an order in...
Joe
Old 04-10-2009, 05:30 AM

you know its kinda funny because i go this local drum shop for like everything and they dont keep any sticks in sleeves i thought this was weird

i just bought three pairs and i thought i was just being strange thinking there was this big difference between the sticks i guess i was right

im really picky bout near everything i might check into (nonwood sticks) but i love my promark 747 hickory natural so much i dont know if i could but i might give that a try