DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-04-2009, 02:13 PM

Default ahead joey jordison sticks

ahead joey jordison sticks, are they good? I have Vic Firth 5B Extreme now, and i like the sound they give, would these ahead sticks give bad sound or? I now if i buy the ahead sticks, i dont need to buy new pair of sticks in 6 months or something they are so strong(someone told me that)
Old 04-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: ahead joey jordison sticks

I personally played aheads for a awhile when I was younger. Have to say I wasn't that impressed, True you won't have to buy sticks as often but you will have to buy the covers for them which is almost the price of a new pair of sticks.. To me they are for guys who are super hard hitters. I never really cared for the sound of them on my ride compared to wood plus they can leave marks on your cymbals. Learning to play without hitting so hard and with good technique will help prevent sticks breaking. My sticks don't break just whittle away from the cymbals.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Well, that's a loaded statement. LIke the following...

"Ford Excursions are like the biggest toughest thing on the road, till it gets run over by Bigfoot!"

It all depends on your style and accuracy of playing. I got a pair of those when I was just learning how to play, and I broke them just about as fast as I got them in my hands. It was a story of bad technique. I hit a rim, then chopped at a cymbal then hit another rim doing a roll and that was it. 40 bux down the drain...

Someone told me the same thing, and I thought great... Just a shame I didn't know how bad a drummer I was at the time! I would have saved some cash...

Now if you have good technique, and don't bash your gear like a "MAD MONGO SMASH" kinda drummer you may just like the Ahead sticks. I liked the feel, balance and the replaceable sleeves. Now that I don't miss all that often I may just give them a second chance. If you want to try them because you are going through sticks like "Beavers at a toothpick factory" (that sounds so stupid, but it made me laugh so its staying) then you may just want to spend your money on more wood.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada_rokzz View Post
Well, that's a loaded statement. LIke the following...

"Ford Excursions are like the biggest toughest thing on the road, till it gets run over by Bigfoot!"

It all depends on your style and accuracy of playing. I got a pair of those when I was just learning how to play, and I broke them just about as fast as I got them in my hands. It was a story of bad technique. I hit a rim, then chopped at a cymbal then hit another rim doing a roll and that was it. 40 bux down the drain...

Someone told me the same thing, and I thought great... Just a shame I didn't know how bad a drummer I was at the time! I would have saved some cash...

Now if you have good technique, and don't bash your gear like a "MAD MONGO SMASH" kinda drummer you may just like the Ahead sticks. I liked the feel, balance and the replaceable sleeves. Now that I don't miss all that often I may just give them a second chance. If you want to try them because you are going through sticks like "Beavers at a toothpick factory" (that sounds so stupid, but it made me laugh so its staying) then you may just want to spend your money on more wood.

And possibly some lessons to correct the problem ;-)
Old 04-05-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
And possibly some lessons to correct the problem ;-)
Ditto! haha, its gotta be a 20 character response...
Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 PM

I have the ahead joeu jordison sticks and i am impressed. I like the fact that you dont have to change the sticks but just the taper (the bit above the handle). I am a hard hitter and the sticks suit me well. I also have the pro mark TX515's (Joey Jordison) and i like them aswell, i got them for free hehe. I prefer the Ahead to the Promark because the tx515's are 10 were as the new taper for the stick is 6 so you save 4