DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Christ-Hammer

Default Snare Wires

I have been searching around for some new snare wires, but I can't figure out what the difference is between all of the different brands, like 20 strand puresound or gib, etc can someone tell me the differences in them?

Off topic I have seen some sticks with rubber tips, example: Matt Savage practice sticks and I was wondering if anyone would recommend them as practice sticks and could you use them on any surface.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Snare Wires

Not sure about any differences in the materials they're made from, although there probably are some. If you take a close look at the wires themselves, you will notice a difference in the quality of construction. For example, have a look at how PureSound solders the wires to the end pieces and compare that to other brands. The other difference is, of course, performance and sound.

Not to discredit any other brands, but I think you'll find that most drummers - or at least those who have played them - tend to prefer the PureSounds (myself included). I have the Equalizer 16 strands on my 14" X 4" Brass snare and I recently put the Custom 20 strands on my 14" X 6.5" Maple snare. So far I prefer the Equalizers for the cleanliness of their sound, but I still have to tinker with the Customs and the Maple snare to see if i can get it a bit cleaner sounding.

I'd recommend that you give the PureSounds a shot. I know they are a bit pricier, but the sound of the snare drum is too important to us drummers, and these things are awesome. Now, if PureSound can give us a break on their pricing a bit, that would be sweet!!

Can't help you with your stick enquiry though. I haven't played, seen, or even heard of them before. Sorry.

All the best,

Mike
Old 04-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Hi,

I have an old Slingerland circa 1971 and I am in the process of refurbishing it. I hear lots of good things regarding Puresound snares and was wondering what version would be good for this drum?

I also hear good things about Grover snare wires too? Anyone use them?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

I can only speak to the Pure Sound wires, I had the stock wires on my cheap snare (I play an entry level starter kit) and took them of and put the PS wires on and it sounded a whole hell of a lot better. Particularly on snare rolls, a lot of the buzzing I was getting went away when I changed the wires.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

Yeah I want to hear about snare wires too. I think mine need replacing.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Gold Member

Random notes:

Materials do differ. Also whether the snare wires are plated or not. Unplated wires (generally) have a darker sound than plated ones.

Puresounds are wonderful wires, but insanely expensive. If you're interested in a 20-strand set you might try the Pearl UltraSound snare wires, very well made, unplated, bronze end caps. They pretty much sound indistinguishable from the Puresounds for little more than half the cost.

The notion that 20 strands is the "standard" size is fairly recent. Many classic snare drums came with fewer strands in their snare wires, as few as 12 or 14. I've since switched to Puresound 16-strand wires on all my snares and I'm very happy with the sound. Fewer strands = more tone from the drum.

As always, Gatzen has things to say, many of them spot on. Try here and here.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:00 AM

What an interesting thread.
As a complete newbie, I am thoroughly ignorant of most things in this realm...... (although thats true of most things in my realm come to think of it).
I really dont like the ring and buzz I get from my snares, but really like the tone of the drum. I think I shall change the number of strands as an experiment.

Thanks for all the knowledge from participants in this forum.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:42 AM

Does anyone have a link to where i can purchase the Pearl UltraSound snare wires?
I wanna buy em!