DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 AM

Default Oh my god!! Dave Weckl Sticks are amazing!!

I have been playing with regular Vic Firth 5bs forever, I never tried anything exotic... After watching Dave Weckl's "How to Develop Technique" and Jojo Mayer's "Secret Weapons for the Modern Drummer" I decided I wanted to try out their sticks. In both dvds they quickly discuss the philosophy behind the sticks and how they're designed to maximize the use of rebound.

I went to tom lee but they didn't have any jojos left but they had one pair of Dave Weckl's newer sticks. As soon as I put them in my hands I was amazed. I felt completely incontrol of the bounce of my stick! my chops and my rudiments have improoved so much just by switching to these beauties!!!!

I don't know if this is true but according to the guy at Tom Lee, he says that at the very back of the stck there's a little metal ball to add back weight in the stick. They're a little thinner than 5bs which is very new to me but I have to say these guys are AMAZING!!! They work best if you grip with your middle finger and thumb or as Dave Weckl explains it: make a triangle between the thumb middle and index finger.

I still want to try the Jojos, the guy at Tom Lee also said that the Jojos are his favourite sticks.

ps (Dave Weckl has two sig sticks, a red one and a woody-orange one. These ones are the Orange ones)
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Oh my god!! Dave Weckl Sticks are amazing!!

Definitely a good plug for weckl sig's. I've played these sticks and they don't improve your rudiments. LOL.
I think prior to picking up these sticks you were convinced that these sticks would allow you to play better, so when you picked them up they felt better hence you played better.
Another scenario could be that these sticks are just better for you, but I can't see a pair of sticks making someone that much better.

Now, all the newbs are going to run out and get weckl sticks. they are magical!!

But really, I'm glad you like them.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggo32 View Post
Definitely a good plug for weckl sig's. I've played these sticks and they don't improve your rudiments. LOL.
I think prior to picking up these sticks you were convinced that these sticks would allow you to play better, so when you picked them up they felt better hence you played better.
Another scenario could be that these sticks are just better for you, but I can't see a pair of sticks making someone that much better.

Now, all the newbs are going to run out and get weckl sticks. they are magical!!

But really, I'm glad you like them.
They made my rudiments a lot easier to play for me. I never once claimed they're "magical"

When I do a Moeller stroke, just letting the stick bounce I get a lot more out of these weckl sticks than my traditional 5bs. (I also tried Steve Gadd sigs and they were much too top heavy in comparison).

I was not AT ALL convinced that these sticks would make me play better before I tried them. Like I said I've been using 5bs since the beginning (the past 5 years) and I was, on the contrary, quite skeptical whether or not they make any difference in feel at all (a stick's a stick right?).

And well, I'm sorry, but that's why I'm so excited and I made this post. These sticks feel amazing for me but I will stress, I really think you need to use a grip where the fulcrum is between the middle and thumb not between index and thumb. These sticks just give me so much more rebound in my grip that yes they made my rudiments better because now the motions feel more fluid when the stick is bouncing during a Moeller stroke or a double stroke.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Dude, don't be sorry. Sticks CAN change the way you play. That's why we all have a favorite type of stick. Ask a really fluid jazz drummer who uses 7As or something lighter to pick up 2Bs and not have to work harder to get the same type of sound he does from the 7As. It won't happen. Same is true for a heavy metal drummer using 2Bs, if you hand him 7As. Every person is built differently, and has at least slightly different technique from each other. Because of this, different sticks work for different people.

For me, I can't STAND the Weckl orange sticks. But his normal signature sticks are pretty great...I used them for years, until I switched to regular 5As for rock. I actually was shocked when the newer ones came out, because I wondered how the person who designed the stick I loved so much could design another stick that I hated so much, but it happened. The same is true with the two Peter Erskine models. I used to use the regular ones all the time, but his "Ride Stick" and I just never got along at all.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 04-02-2009, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avendesoran View Post
They made my rudiments a lot easier to play for me. I never once claimed they're "magical"

When I do a Moeller stroke, just letting the stick bounce I get a lot more out of these weckl sticks than my traditional 5bs. (I also tried Steve Gadd sigs and they were much too top heavy in comparison).

I was not AT ALL convinced that these sticks would make me play better before I tried them. Like I said I've been using 5bs since the beginning (the past 5 years) and I was, on the contrary, quite skeptical whether or not they make any difference in feel at all (a stick's a stick right?).

And well, I'm sorry, but that's why I'm so excited and I made this post. These sticks feel amazing for me but I will stress, I really think you need to use a grip where the fulcrum is between the middle and thumb not between index and thumb. These sticks just give me so much more rebound in my grip that yes they made my rudiments better because now the motions feel more fluid when the stick is bouncing during a Moeller stroke or a double stroke.

I didn't mean that you said that they were "magical", I just threw that in myself.
Well I'm glad you like them and they allow you to play better. don't get me wrong, I know certain sticks can enhance your playing. these just may be the perfect sticks for you.
Like I said I'm glad you like them.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:12 AM

i liked using the red ones for a about year but then i switched back to 5A's. I still have a couple of pairs that i use sometimes but still they are a great stick.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:22 AM
"Uncle Larry"

[quote=Avendesoran;558919]
I went to tom lee.../QUOTE]

Is this code for Sam Ash?
Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 AM

[quote=larryace;559247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avendesoran View Post
I went to tom lee.../QUOTE]

Is this code for Sam Ash?
huh?

Tom Lee is a music store in Canada.... *question mark*
Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Yeah those sticks are nice. I have a pair. I also use 5B's with the red grip and the Jack DeJohnette model too. All Vic Firth.