DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 07-17-2009, 01:52 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank0072 View Post
Great drum, but what is up with the reso head?
Thanks Frank ....

What are you referring to?? What's the matter with it?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Thanks Frank ....

What are you referring to?? What's the matter with it?
It's just a little busy, that's all. Drums came out great though!
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-21-2009, 01:14 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
It's just a little busy, that's all. Drums came out great though!
I guess I'd like to hear what Frank's talking about. "what's up with that reso head" would be a strange way to say "it's a little busy" , don't you think?

Anyhow, thanks,..I thought they turned out great too, better than expected, and , they sounded great last Saturday too! I'll be posting more pictures soon!

Your 'busy' comment is interesting because I've never looked at it that way....our logo is prominent in the center,....I put LUDWIG on the top, the Saluda was always there, and ...maybe the Aquarian is too big.....I'll see what I can do ....
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post


Your 'busy' comment is interesting because I've never looked at it that way....our logo is prominent in the center,....I put LUDWIG on the top, the Saluda was always there, and ...maybe the Aquarian is too big.....I'll see what I can do ....
Everyone has their own taste in what they want displayed on their reso head, there's nothing wrong with yours. Me personally, I would only have the name of the band, and Ludwig, but that's just me.
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-22-2009, 02:07 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project-UPDATED 7/22/09-PICS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Everyone has their own taste in what they want displayed on their reso head, there's nothing wrong with yours. Me personally, I would only have the name of the band, and Ludwig, but that's just me.
Thanks Mendo ...I see what you mean, and I'll be honest, ...you've pointed something out that I've never realized too, ....it IS a tad busy ...great, thanks, now you have me considering having Jim make me another one! LOL! :-)

I do however, wish Frank would clarify ...but, seeings as he hasn't, I'll assume that that is what he meant too.

Anyhow...........YOU READY??? Now, ....I didn't set the ENTIRE SET UP because I just had a show and had to take stuff back to our practice facility, but, I did get the new Red Sparkle drums up. I also put my 10x15 Challenger Snare up too to show how the 2 red sparkles work together. It doesn't match that great, but ....I can always re-do the snare too!! [insert evil laugh here!] ENJOY!!!
Attached Images
    
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-22-2009, 02:30 PM
baz's Avatar
baz baz is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 971
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

...very nice.

Kudos to youdos amigos.

and I think your bass drum res head looks just fine.

Barry
__________________
...if you can't keep it civil, at least make it funny.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...very nice.

Kudos to youdos amigos.

and I think your bass drum res head looks just fine.

Barry
Thanks Barry :-)
202020202020
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:53 PM
freebirdgdw's Avatar
freebirdgdw freebirdgdw is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 642
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project-UPDATED 7/22/09-PICS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Thanks Mendo ...I see what you mean, and I'll be honest, ...you've pointed something out that I've never realized too, ....it IS a tad busy ...great, thanks, now you have me considering having Jim make me another one! LOL! :-)
Great looking finished product. I think that snare looks amazing aswell. And if you do get a new kick reso, I'd say get it in white. It would look so sweet :D
__________________
KIT
COVERS
BAND
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project-UPDATED 7/22/09-PICS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
Great looking finished product. I think that snare looks amazing aswell. And if you do get a new kick reso, I'd say get it in white. It would look so sweet :D

Thanks Freebird!

YES...that's what I was thinking!!! [ insert ANOTHER evil laugh here!] :D
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-23-2009, 05:08 AM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project-UPDATED 7/22/09-PICS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdgdw View Post
Great looking finished product. I think that snare looks amazing aswell. And if you do get a new kick reso, I'd say get it in white. It would look so sweet :D
+1 on the white reso = pure class!
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 AM
drumhead61's Avatar
drumhead61 drumhead61 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Fusssion, I just caught on to your posting so I read through the whole thing and enjoyed the progression...AMAZING transformation, you really did an outstanding job in making those babies look WORTH something...they were butt ugly before and you made them what drums truly are...a WORK OF ART. NICE JOB!!!

JIM
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
Fusssion, I just caught on to your posting so I read through the whole thing and enjoyed the progression...AMAZING transformation, you really did an outstanding job in making those babies look WORTH something...they were butt ugly before and you made them what drums truly are...a WORK OF ART. NICE JOB!!!

JIM

WOW Jim, ...thank you very much!!! :-)

Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project-UPDATED 7/22/09-PICS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
+1 on the white reso = pure class!
Mendo:
Yes, I agree, the white reso would look great, and I was thinking of a coated reso, but I'd like to have a "logo" front and have DrumArt do it for me, but, ...they only do glossy heads. Would glossy white still be "classy?"
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-24-2009, 03:00 AM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project-UPDATED 7/22/09-PICS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Mendo:
Yes, I agree, the white reso would look great, and I was thinking of a coated reso, but I'd like to have a "logo" front and have DrumArt do it for me, but, ...they only do glossy heads. Would glossy white still be "classy?"
Glossy = classy. I had an Aquarian Force II on my 3-ply kit, which was glossy. I later cleaned off the Aquarian logo at the bottom. I have a ported Aquarian Regulator on my 24" Blaemire kick, which is also glossy. I'm going to pick up an unported head for the 24 soon.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-24-2009, 03:10 AM
drumhead61's Avatar
drumhead61 drumhead61 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
WOW Jim, ...thank you very much!!! :-)

Jeff,

You are welcome...you worked hard for every compliment that comes your way and more should be COMING...I say again, GREAT JOB and thank you for sharing with us the decision process and success of the project. Would love to hear them.

JIM
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-24-2009, 06:01 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Jeff man, those look absolutely fantastic! You did a first-class job. I'm inspired, I may have to keep an eye out on eBay for some one-offs to start working on.

Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-24-2009, 01:02 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Mendo, great, thanks...I may have a white one made!! :)

Jim, thank you very much!!

Zambizzi! THANKS MAN....how long ago did we talk about Ludwigs via PM ....hee heee!
My first find was on Craigslist originally ...that's what inspired the project,...I found 2 nice 2 ply concert toms for $50 .....FOR BOTH !!! :-)


Thanks all..........
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post

Zambizzi! THANKS MAN....how long ago did we talk about Ludwigs via PM ....hee heee!
My first find was on Craigslist originally ...that's what inspired the project,...I found 2 nice 2 ply concert toms for $50 .....FOR BOTH !!! :-)
What a steal! I didn't know that concert toms had the bottom edge cut exactly like the top. It's so easy to find hardware that it'd be well worth drilling the holes to save some cash.

That's it, I'm doin' it! I need a 26", 16" and 13"...I'm on the hunt.

By the way, how do these babies sound? Any clips yet?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
What a steal! I didn't know that concert toms had the bottom edge cut exactly like the top. It's so easy to find hardware that it'd be well worth drilling the holes to save some cash.

That's it, I'm doin' it! I need a 26", 16" and 13"...I'm on the hunt.

By the way, how do these babies sound? Any clips yet?
Per LVDC, ...and it's true....Ludwigs concert toms (70's) DID ...shells were shells,...whether they made them double headed or single, the same shells were used! So, I drilled holes, added hardware and boom!!!

The 26" will be elusive, but more attainable would be a 24" !!

I did play out last weekend but dont' have a recording,....they sounded NICE,...warm!! I need to fine tune the tuning, but .....everyone like them, the band said "WOW!" Anyhow ...I'll have a recording by the end of next month....we're doing a show at a place w/ a nice sound system....can't wait! :D
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Really good job on the restoration. What a work of love.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 10-01-2009, 03:48 AM
spleen's Avatar
spleen spleen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Michigan, USA
Posts: 707
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Very nice man! Well done!

spleen
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-13-2009, 04:07 AM
allmaple allmaple is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 16
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Hello Brothers, Can anyone help me figure out if this Ludwig shell is original or refinished? I bought the set with the intentions to recover it. However, the inside is finished the same as the outside which I've never seen before but could be possible knowing Ludwig. The whole 5 pc set is like finished this way. It is a 70's set according to the 6 digit serial numbers( which are close)and top and bottom mufflers. The edges appear to be a sharp 45 degrees. The badge grommet was tight with a split on the inside. I've posted a few pics. Any help appreciated.
Attached Images
       
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-29-2010, 03:56 PM
miker miker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Allmaple:

My kit is also walnut thermo-gloss with stained interiors. I am finding out this was fairly common for the interiors to be stained.

Here's a few pics of my kit.

Mike
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-29-2010, 04:02 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Allmaple, and Miker,...nice kits, but.....my thread about my kit isn't the place for it.

Don't take that the wrong way, but, it should go in the Ludwig Fan thread ....thanks :)
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-29-2010, 05:21 PM
miker miker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Not taken wrong. FYI...I wasn't trying to hijack "your" thread, just replying to allmaple. The last post that pertained to "your" thread was in September. Just look at as bring new life to a "dead" thread...i.e. more "face time" for you and your kit.; )

Mike

P.S. BTW as a few of the others mentioned the kick head on your kit just isn't happening for me.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-29-2010, 05:30 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by miker View Post
Not taken wrong. FYI...I wasn't trying to hijack "your" thread, just replying to allmaple. The last post that pertained to "your" thread was in September. Just look at as bring new life to a "dead" thread...i.e. more "face time" for you and your kit.; )

Mike

P.S. BTW as a few of the others mentioned the kick head on your kit just isn't happening for me.
Miker, I'm glad, I know you were just responding, ..and I just thought it would be better in the Ludwig Fans forum and get more traffic :)

What is it that you don't like??
p.s. you're the second .....
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-30-2010, 03:17 PM
Coldhardsteel's Avatar
Coldhardsteel Coldhardsteel is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland, United states of America
Posts: 1,228
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

AMAZING. :D

Really like the wrap on this one, and to top it off, it's a Ludwig.

I'm honestly jealous.

And about your reso head, the logo seems a bit cluttered, maybe "busy" isn't a bad word for it. The sponsorships aren't really in the way, my bass drum came covered with stickers on the reso, so comparatively it's better than what I had.

Great set.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post
AMAZING. :D

Really like the wrap on this one, and to top it off, it's a Ludwig.

I'm honestly jealous.

And about your reso head, the logo seems a bit cluttered, maybe "busy" isn't a bad word for it. The sponsorships aren't really in the way, my bass drum came covered with stickers on the reso, so comparatively it's better than what I had.

Great set.
Thanks for the response. It's funny, people like to make comments, but never back them up? This is the second person who's commented on the reso, but when I asked what it is they don't like, ....they never respond.

I am thinking very long and hard about going just LUDWIG on a white glossy head w/ our band's logo ....we'll see.....
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:10 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Call me crazy, but .......

the band broke up ......and all this crap is just ....well, ...I'm over it ....I've done the band thing and it's just getting old.

Guys, ...how much do you think my players kit would bring?

Thoughts please ????

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Call me crazy, but .......

the band broke up ......and all this crap is just ....well, ...I'm over it ....I've done the band thing and it's just getting old.

Guys, ...how much do you think my players kit would bring?

Thoughts please ????

Thanks!
I'm sorry to hear this fusssion. You put so much work into this kit. Maybe wait a bit, and you might have a change of heart.
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:30 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I'm sorry to hear this fusssion. You put so much work into this kit. Maybe wait a bit, and you might have a change of heart.
Thanks ... I doubt it ....I feel I'm "over it" if that makes sense...maybe one day when I'm older I'll pick up a kit to mess with, but until then ...it just seems like something that's taking up space, and not doing me any good 'sitting there'.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:36 PM
droveto's Avatar
droveto droveto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 214
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

That looks awesome and a good deal for the wrap. Where did you purchase it? I have an old radio king set from the 50's I've been wanting to wrap...
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by droveto View Post
That looks awesome and a good deal for the wrap. Where did you purchase it? I have an old radio king set from the 50's I've been wanting to wrap...
Dick Blick Art Materials, ...it's called Sparkle Brite. Really thin, but a great finish. You use it right over the wrap that's present if the finish is decent. You can do a nice players kit for a fraction of the cost.

AGAIN....players kit! :)
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-28-2010, 08:50 PM
droveto's Avatar
droveto droveto is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 214
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Dick Blick Art Materials, ...it's called Sparkle Brite. Really thin, but a great finish. You use it right over the wrap that's present if the finish is decent. You can do a nice players kit for a fraction of the cost.

AGAIN....players kit! :)
Yeah, I'll probably want a thicker wrap since I'm dealing with a classic... I really want the champagne sparkle from precision, but I think it comes out to nearly $400 to do the bass drum, tom tom and floor tom. If go with silver or red sparkle, it's closer to $200 and I just can't justify the additional cost... Yet... Which is why they've been sitting all stripped down for months now...
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely keep it in mind.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 PM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,555
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
Call me crazy, but .......

the band broke up ......and all this crap is just ....well, ...I'm over it ....I've done the band thing and it's just getting old.
Maybe it's just THAT band that you're over. If you get with a great band, with great guys, playing great music, it's a whole different world. I sense a long-term frustration build-up in your post. I know how those bands go.

If drumming is truly something that you feel strongly about, and there's something about playing drums that feeds your very soul (or, at least DID at one point), don't let a band or other musicians tarnish that joy for you. I'd recommend storing your kit for about 6 months to a year, unless you really need the money. I'd hate to see you change your mind about selling your kit that you invested so much time in. I'd urge you to wait to make a final decision about selling your kit until the heated emotions cool off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post

Guys, ...how much do you think my players kit would bring?

Thoughts please ????

Thanks!
Not much. About half what a kit in original condition would fetch. It would be worth it to keep it, I think. Once you restore a kit to anything but its original condition, you've severely compromised its desirability and monetary value in the collectors' market...
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Zickosdrummer's Avatar
Zickosdrummer Zickosdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 363
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Fussion,

If you have any of that wrap left over I have to recover a Ludwig field snare. PM me.
__________________
Drumming is the cheapest psychiatry.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-09-2012, 08:19 PM
fusssion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

All, ...
this kit is up for sale

10-13-16-22 only ....

Email me if interested and we can discuss what's all there :)

jmetz66@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 AM
Mr.L's Avatar
Mr.L Mr.L is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 356
Default Re: My 70's Ludwig Project/Restoration -Players Kit

Beautiful job, even if I am slightly biased because red sparkle is my favourite finish ever. ;)

Can't wait to see the finished product.

EDIT: Oop, never mind I guess! :(
__________________
Take care of your drums, one day they'll be vintage!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com